I've lost my appetite! help!

Options
So I worked out every day last week except Sunday. This week I'm freaking out becasue I have no desire to eat. For a few days now I've been under my calorie count. I've read about starvation mode and I really don't want that. Do I need to force myself to eat so that I can keep my metabolism and lose weight? It's really frustrating because usually I can eat like no one's business. Is this normal?

Replies

• HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    This happened to me last year when I was really busy and under a lot of stress. Anything like that going on with you? I lost like 20 pounds but I gained it all back when the stress was over and I started eating again. It sucked.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Ginger. Eat it. I take it when I'm nauseous, and I take it to stimulate appetite. It really helps! If you like Mike & Ike tamale candies, you'll probably really like The Ginger People ginger chews. They are all natural and really helped with my appetite. I had been struggling with eating for about a month. Started chowing on ginger and my appetite came back slowly, but very strong.

Some other things to consider are food aversions (I've been avoiding ground turkey the last week or so and it's really helped, go figure) and boredom with your daily diet. Make sure it's varied and colorful.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat right now too. I got home from work at 330 this afternoon and only had eaten 350 calories, and 190 of that was my slimfast shake for lunch. I've been doing cardio for the past 5 days and took a break today. I'm gonna take Friday and have it be a full day of cheat meals so I can get my body "shocked". Not sure if that's a good idea, but I'm at a plateau because I have been about 300 under my calories (1200 given to me) for the past couple weeks.
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I personally listen to my body and do not eat if I do not feel hungry. Not matter what anything or anyone says.

If you think you should of been hungry by now then maybe have some fruit but don't force yourself into every meal if your not hungry because your setting yourself up for an eatting habit that may be hard to get out of.

Your body may be responding perfectly and be actually enjoying what your doing.

When I am at my fittest I don't get massive food cravings because my body is healthy and is satisfied.
    When your body is used to good food and is fed properly your don't crave rubbish and don't crave anything at all sometimes.
    In the summer I don't eat loads of heavy foods and I drink loads of smoothies, I literally never feel hungry in the summer, because my body is fed healthy food in the right proportions and I drink loads of water.

As long as your drinking plenty of water I'd go with it if I were you.

Oh and I am always under my calories. I make a point of it.
    In my 21 years of dieting and weight watching I have never experienced starvation mode.

508926.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • RoxieFoston
    Options
    My appitite has decreased and I am eating less of the high calorie foods and more fresh vegetables and fish. I eat lots of food but the romaine lettuce and other raw veggies have hardly any calories. After being obsessed with unhealth food most of my life, it is kind of refreshing to not want to eat everything finally.
  • hwhittle
    hwhittle Posts: 8
    Options
    hi :)...your body can go into starvation mode after a few days of low calorie eating. The most important part is to get fluids in to avoid dehydration which can lead to many other issues. If you are not hungry, try drinking some of your calories. Juices can contain quite a few calories and they are healthy for you. Also, if you can tolerate milk, that would be another healthy way of getting calories in without stuffing your belly if it doesnt want food. One of the important things i have learned over the last couple months, is if you put your body on a very strict timeline for eating, it will respond very quickly and positively. never skip meals if you can help it. even if its a piece of fruit or a nutritional bar. i sometimes struggle to get to my calories for the day, and if that happens, i try to have a bigger breakfast than usual to make up for it. it all evens out. Try not to look at your diet by the day, do it by the week and you may find out that it all evens out. Good luck :)