What's up with MFP and fruit sugar?

Options
I don't understand how MFP counts sugar. I can eat a small apple and my sugar count for the day will be just as destroyed as if I had a Starbuck's super frappa-mocha-whippa-smoothie.

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    All types of sugar are generally processed the same. Unless you have diabetes or something where you'd have to monitor your sugar levels, have at it with the fruit.
  • Full4Life
    Full4Life Posts: 172 Member
    Options
  • synostosis
    synostosis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates all sugars (fructose/galactose vs sucrose) equally. I've looked at my sugar numbers as well and they can get quite high with one or two servings of fruit (or even with tomatoes in my salad!). Sugar is sugar to the body. Obviously the plus with fruit is you're getting additional nutrients and fiber.

Perhaps go for lower-glycemic fruits? Berries, apples, pears, etc.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    MFP is not intelligent it's just a simple computer programme, it cannot distinguish between different sugars any more than it can between junk food and a homecooked meal! If you want to separate them pay a registered dietician or pay for a logging programme that has that capability. Apples are solid/ heavy little beasties, one apple may be a fairly large serving compared to other produce - here in the UK a serving is 80g, that is about half a standard apple.
  • synostosis
    synostosis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Looking at some of my intake for today. I have no processed sugars (sucrose) but amazing that a half of an onion has 8 grams of sugar! Is that unreal????!!!