Requesting help from vegetarians

Options
I have decided once again to become a vegetarian and this time I want to do it right and permanently, as well as avoiding the health problems I had last time. So here is my dilemma:

I am not fond of a lot of vegetables.

I'm hoping you can give me some idea on how to incorporate veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, and spinach, pretty basic dislikes, into my daily diet in a way that I can at least tolerate. I'd be thankful for any and all suggestions.

~Kendra

Replies

• liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'll take help from anyone, not just vegetarians....thought I'd throw that in there:wink:
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    I'm a Vegan and so is my boyfriend he has the same problem that he doesn't like many veggies. So what I've found is I can get him to eat anything if it tastes like something else! There is this amazing recipe for vegan beef stew that has carrots, celery, onions & potatoes in it along with a vegan beef product. Try looking for products from http://gardein.com/ most of their meat substitutions products not only taste good but are made up of different types of veggie proteins.
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Their products sound great, but they're not sold anywhere within 50 miles of me :sad: I'll keep an eye out though. thanks!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My favorite vegan recipe source is theppk.com. The Post-Punk Kitchen is a free all-vegan recipe database run by the same people who wrote books like the Veganomicon and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I love everything they've got. I especially keep going back to their tempeh chili con frijoles because it's so good, my carnivorous family prefers it to beef chili. There are so many creative, delicious veggie recipes out there I'm sure you could be busy trying them out forever.
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    Try looking around www.vegweb.com it's full of recipes for any range of vegetarian also if you can't find any good meat substitutes around you try looking on www.veganessentials.com
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm a big fan of roasting my veggies - especially broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus. Roasting completely changes the flavor and makes them really sweet. A little olive oil, salt and pepper (sometimes balsamic vinegar and parmesan cheese on the broccoli and asparagus) and roast in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes. YUM!
  • gmckenna
    gmckenna Posts: 1
    Options
    I find that if you stirfy them it works wonders to get all of your days veggies in, theres all kinds of different sauces you can buy to mix in, my favorite is honey hoisin! When you buy the sauces though make sure to read the nutritional information (some can be quite bad for you). Also you could try making a vegetarian lasagna, you can put any kind of veggie in there and just shred them all up and mix them together so you can barely taste them.
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    My one former co-worker told me about making zucchini & summer squash lasagna slicing the squash and using them as the noodles... Or my sister turned me onto spaghetti squash! stuff is great! just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, wrap in plastic wrap and stick in the microwave for 20-30 minutes (depending on the size) and then scrape the insides out with a fork and put tomato sauce on it!
  • electricgypsy
    electricgypsy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i liked steamed veggies as they stay crunchie. also make lasagne using tomato and bechmel sauce but put a selection of veg in the tomato sauce (which counts as a veg on its own)

soups are also an easy way to eat a few, cook the veg, blitz with vegetable stock or milk and pop back on the stove to warm through.
  • SeoulSilkie
    Options
    Well, to be a permanent vegetarian, find veggies that you DO LIKE eating... you don't have to eat the ones you don't like. Although if you eat something you don't like for long enough, you might acquire a taste for them. :) For broccoli and cauliflower I like to add them into my pasta - the sauces flavor the veggies and it adds more bulk to your meal without adding a lot of calories. I also use those two when I make loaded baked potatoes (sauteed a medley of veggies on the frying pan and toss them on a baked potato - I'm not fond of cheese, but I do like a little daub of butter) or cooking with them in "Asian veggie medley." I warm all of my veggies (broccoli, cauli, snap peas, edamame, carrots, mushrooms, etc) up in the pan (like them a bit charred) and add szechuan sauce with it (although Im sure they'd taste good with any marinade you prefer).

As for spinach, I like them for salads - finding a couple of dressings you like helps. A variety of dressing and "add-ins" keeps the salad from getting boring too. I also use them in sandwiches (I use a bit of mustard or hummus or guac/avocado for flavoring)!

Best thing to do with veggies is experiment!!
  • healthycat31
    Options
    Throw them in casserole dishes with vegetables you like.

Thrown them in pasta sauces, salads, & soups

Cook the mushrooms and stuff them in a whole wheat pitta, add some spinach, other vegetables, & maybe add a slice of cheese or as mentioned above top a baked potato with them

Stuff the mushrooms with the spinach and add some cheese or other veggies

Add them to some roasted vegetables like aubergines, courgettes, red onions, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, and have it with some wild rice/ couscous

Cook some quinoa, marinate mushrooms, other vegetables you like, and some tofu with a little soy sauce - Mix with the cooked quinoa - this is really nice

Omelettes