Breakfast Any Advise?

Options
So I find that breakfast is a problem of mine when it comes to dieting. Either I get a little overexcited about my diet and I under-eat or I saw screw it and eat a Tupperware sized bowl of fruity pebbles. So I talked around and was told that 500 to 600 Calories a day for breakfast is a great start. Do you have any advise for me to help for what I should be eating for breakfast (mind you this is about 1 hour and a half before I go to the gym). Should I be eating more proteins, fiber, carbohydrates?? I really appreciate the time you take to help me out! I can use all the help I can get :)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I find that breakfast is a problem of mine when it comes to dieting. Either I get a little overexcited about my diet and I under-eat or I saw screw it and eat a Tupperware sized bowl of fruity pebbles. So I talked around and was told that 500 to 600 Calories a day for breakfast is a great start. Do you have any advise for me to help for what I should be eating for breakfast (mind you this is about 1 hour and a half before I go to the gym). Should I be eating more proteins, fiber, carbohydrates?? I really appreciate the time you take to help me out! I can use all the help I can get :)

You don't even have to eat breakfast if you don't want to
  • kelligrundhoffer
    kelligrundhoffer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a protien based breakfast? if you want a full breakfast then go for the egg, lean meat and fruit or whole wheat toast..(keep boiled eggs handy as a snack and uber quick bfast) if not try a protien shake or just bannana and PB... since you are working out an hour or so later you might have to gauge how much you want to eat on personal prefernce ( i know personally if i eat before a work out i'm sickly during it) All the best luck and keep up the good work! The pics look great!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I feel really, really good eating a high protein, minimal carb breakfast every day. Satiates me, gives me energy throughout the morning, no carb highs and lows! So every morning, I eat 2 scrambled eggs with a little cheese thrown in and 2 strips of bacon. It's about 500 cals. I've been eating that for months. Had my blood work done a few weeks ago and my ratios are great. May not work for everyone, but before I started this, I would be starving by 10:30 am. This routine has made me a much happier camper!
  • SunshineDecember
    SunshineDecember Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Remember to always control your portions - buy a kitchen scale and measure out everything you eat, that way you don't have to worry about accidentally eating a bucket full of anything.

I like to eat 5-6 meals of around 300 cals each, 'cause I find it keeps me from getting too hungry throughout the day. So breakfast for me it usually 200g of cottage cheese, a piece of fruit, sometimes 30g of oats, and topped off with cinnamon. mmm.

Breakfast is totally my favorite meal of the day :D
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Start with, Are you even hungry at breakfast? If you aren't don't eat then. If you are, How hungry are you at breakfast? Just a touch, a hard boiled egg is great and easy. If you are very hungry more traditional fare might be in order. When I am more hungry I like to make egg patties and put them on flat bread or english muffin with ham or bacon. It is more about planning for your particular day. For me, I am almost never hungry for breakfast so I wouldn't "waste" the calories eating myself sick. You should portion out your calories to factor in the relative hungriness for times of the day for your system.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

You don't even have to eat breakfast if you don't want to

This. But personally, I am always starving when I wake up. Only eat breakfast if you are hungry. I like to start the day with protein and fiber. Mainly, because it keeps me full and I won't make my protein goals if I don't start early in the day. Best of luck with it.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cup of coffee with a little vanilla almond milk, and a Nature's Path granola bar. That tides me over to lunch, which is where I usually eat the bulk of my carbs for the day. The Nature's Path bars are really tasty and they have a bunch of flavors - I think I have four different flavors in my cabinet at home.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    A filling (but healthy) cereal like bran flakes with either low fat, natural yogurt or milk. To improve the taste you could either use a flavoured yogurt or drizzle on a little honey. If that isn't enough to keep you full until the next time you eat, add some fresh fruit (I would suggest banana or red berries). This is what I would usually have for a breakfast/lunch and it keeps me full for ages. Good luck!
  • Liz_M_
    Liz_M_ Posts: 25
    Options
    I haven't had time to read through all the replies and obviously since your post was 4 hours ago I would think you have solved the problem for today however, I have learned that breakfast is a very important meal and it may be of help to you to plan it the night before so you aren't standing in front of the fridge scratching your head at 5am.
    I think you need to have protein at every meal. A good start for me ( you would need to adjust your quantities since men can have a little more than women) would be 100g of fat free yoghurt over fresh fruit or canned fruit in NATURAL JUICE, followed by a poached or dry fried egg on half an english muffin. Some light cream cheese spread on the other half of the english muffin with a light spread of low cal jam, honey or sliced banana and a drizzle of maple syrup. This is similar to the breakfast I have every morning while on vacation and it will keep me sustained all morning until around 12.30 -1pm. Try dividing your calorie allowance into the number of meals you have per day and eat them all. Once you get the ball rolling you will be fine. Setting up an eating plan and staying out of the cookie jar can be a little tricky at first.... you can do it... :):smile:

Don't forget to weigh/measure everything...that is vital. Not only because you may be over eating but because you may not be eating enough. Track....can't emphasize this one. Write down every single bite.