NEED: finger foods (various vegan, paleo, and low-cal)

Options
PapaverSomniferum
PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
I'm hosting an afternoon artists meeting at my house this weekend. I'll be serving tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. The various attendees have varying dietary needs and I'm looking for finger food ideas to have out on the tea buffet for snacking so that everyone has at least two items they can enjoy. Creative ideas in groups seems to flourish where snacks are shared.

I'll have fresh fruits and veggies, of course, since it's one snack EVERYONE can agree on! However, that gets dull fast and isn't exactly what you crave when drinking coffee and tea.

So, anyone have any suggestions for paleo finger foods? Vegan snackies? Low cal delights?

Replies

• Maylene1217
    Maylene1217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    knorr veggie dip made with sourcream cut up cucumber with little wells in middle to fill with the dip...
    these mini diabeti carrotcake things with cream cheese frosting
    theres a recipe for homemade cliff bars out there
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Edamameeeeee

Great source of protein!
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My vegan friend makes these really nice things using frozen puff pastry (check it's vegan) and thaw it first obviously. Roll it out or use the pre-rolled sheets and spread with olive tapenade. Then roll it up and place on a baking tray, bake at 200C gas mark 6 until it's puffed up and cooked - about 20-25 mins.

Not very diet friendly, but I guess most people won't actually be on a diet, and it is quick and easy as well as tasty.

Home made houmous as a dip, aubergine dip is also good if you want lower cal. Can't help with Paleo I don't know what that is I'm afraid!

Mini pizzas go down well, and you can make them vegan by using vegan pesto instead of cheese and top with olives, red/green peppers / sun dried tomatoes - they don't have to be too fattening, the lack of cheese helps with that.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Hummus and pita pockets.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options
    almost everyone attending is on "a diet".

It's January.

someone suggested sushi. I can do no seafood in vegan rolls and no rice in some paleo rolls.

These are great ideas so far!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Ohhh Hostess TOPIC!!!

I would do a

Red Pepper Hummus with various veggies (carrots, cucumbers, etc), and maybe some Pita
    ANY dip you want - Greek Yogurt as a base
    Mediterranean Meatballs (Turkey, Feta....google for recipie)
    I'd do a chopped salad (nuts, fruit, chicken, vinaigrette) or an Orzo Salad with Cherry Tomatos, Asparagus, EVOO, Lemon, and season to taste, add a little shaved parm.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    If it's cold, you could make a veggie soup, and little toasted sandwiches
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options
    ooooh, veggie soup is a good one! It's vegan, paleo, AND low cal! WIN.