Body image...how long does it take to change?

Options
So, I have been on the journey for 5 years now. My weight loss has been really slow but steady. I am getting closer to my goal and I wanted to hear from people at what point do you start seeing what others are seeing. I still think of myself as fat. When I look in the mirror and see this thin person I start thinking crazy things like, "oh it's the just the mirror, I don't really look like that" or if I see a picture, I think "oh, that was a good angle for me because I don't really look like that."....So when will my mental picture of me reflect what is really happening?

D

BTW...if you click through my pictures, I am 5+ pounds less than the jean shorts with orange tank pic.

Replies

• odatcindy
    odatcindy Posts: 641
    Options
    Nener - I just read an article on this same topic in Shape magazine, the April issue. It talked about taking in what others say to you about your shape so that you can re-program your own thoughts. It didn't say how long this would take, but I understand where you are coming from. I have been off and on trying to lose weight and get into shape since 2002, months after my wedding. I tried weight watchers and then due to health issues, put all the weight back on. Now I've been at it since last May and I had lost a total of 35 lbs., but put some of that weight back on and am losing it again. My husband says I look great and my friends and co-workers have noticed the change, but I'm with you and I still see the problem thighs and the loose skin and weight on my stomach, the cellulite dimples,etc. I hope someone else that has been through this and has re-programmed themselves to see the good responds to this site. I'd like to know the answer and how to make it work, too.:smile:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I don't know about others but I am having a huge issue with realizing that I have lost weight. I still gravitate to my old sizes when shopping. It is really hard to realize that this new body is me.
  • odatcindy
    odatcindy Posts: 641
    Options
    I don't know about others but I am having a huge issue with realizing that I have lost weight. I still gravitate to my old sizes when shopping. It is really hard to realize that this new body is me.

I'm the same way. I go to try on new clothes and I pick up the old sizes, even though I'm two sizes smaller. I'm just so unsure of the sizes these days.
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    i was just talking to my daughter about this earlier this week. we were out somewhere and as we watched the people going by, i told her i no longer have a good sense of which ones look close to my size. i'm used to identifying with the larger people as being close to my size and shape. but now....?

i've changed alot. but even though i am much smaller & feel much thinner, i'm still a long way from being skinny. it is definitely going to take some mental adjustment. absolutely worth it though :bigsmile:
  • acoursey1445
    Options
    I've gained and lost the same 25 lbs since I was 16 years old. Each time, the losing of weight took longer and the time it took to gain back became shorter. As I got older, I began keeping an extra 5 lbs and making my goal weight higher as an attempt to stay the same weight without "dieting". In January 2004, I lost 30 lbs in 16 weeks, before the year was over, I gained 15 pounds back. Why was I treating myself so poorly? What was causing me to act this way? What does this have to do with body image? I kept treating myself as I were that over weight person. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE??? You MUST change in the morning.... when you wake up tomorrow, look in the mirror and pick one good (maybe great) thing about yourself. This maybe hard at first, but you must.... Maybe you will need to start with your pretty white teeth or deep blue eyes. BE KIND to yourself. Love yourself enough to embrace the new you. Get to know this new person, love her enough not to put your heart thru gaining and losing weight. Brush your teeth before you get dressed. This will be a true test and will teach you to embrace the new you. BE KIND TO YOURSELF.... LOVE YOURSELF, TREAT YOURSELF like you would your best friend. You wouldn't look at your friend and say..... Wow, I hate that saggy skin on your thighs... would you??? You are now your best friend.. Change your body image by embracing the new you... loving the new you... Put a note on your mirror to remind yourself to be kind... Good Luck... please let me know... how it is going??? You cared enough about yourself to lose weight, you earned your own respect. Give yourself the respect you deserve.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It does help to know that I am not alone. Two people just yesterday used the word "tiny" to describe me!!

Acoursey, you are right about doing something positive each day to affirm our new looks!

Katie! 105!!! that is amazing!!!

Part of it is not really knowing what is an ideal weight for me. I don't know if I have 8 more pounds to go or 15? Based on what everyone seems to think, 8 should do it, but my mind keeps telling me to lose more.

D
  • acoursey1445
    Options
    Thanks DeeDee, While writing to you, I also was trying to convince myself to be KIND to me. This site is great. I've lost 16 lbs in the past two years. I have 7 lb to be at the goal weight I set for myself. Today my BMI is in the normal range and that feels good to be considered normal. This year when I got my physical my doctor said, "you're skinny". All positive.