Travel tips

Options
I travel a lot for work. Every month i travel by plane or by car and spend at least a week away from home traveling. Bad food and convenience snacking everywhere. Usually i travel with a group of people at all times (who love junk food and eating) or I have no control over what i eat (catered meals or food is bought for the team without our input).

Any tips?

Replies

• chavaaguirre
    chavaaguirre Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Im on the same bus, I just started dieting and I will be gone two weeks, my plan is to make excuses not to go dinner with them and try to go find something healthy...
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Pack a collapsible measuring cup in your suit case or carry on. In the airport is easy, grab a salad, a fruit tray, water bottles for the plane. In the car, pack ready made snacks that you can fit in your purse. At the meetings where the food is catered remember, meats as big as the palm of your hand. And veggies are generally a cup worth. Yes, your coworkers may ask and stare. Tell them...you are losing weight and measuring it out is what works for you. By the way, you can bring an empty CLEAR water bottle with you now. I can't remember what size, but you can bring that and fill it at a water fountain to save money.

Take a small note pad with you so that you can write down everything you eat. If you find out where the food is from, most of the time if there is a website they will have the nutrition facts on it (or it might already be in the database on here). If you can't find the nutrition facts, the best bet is to just use general, like general spaghetti with marinara, or general creamed corn.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Learn moderation. It's life. Plenty people here build their lives and diets on less than perfect food. Eat good the three weeks you have more control and do your best with the limitations. Live your life.
  • jorgedr
    jorgedr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same here, but in my case trips are from only one week to 15 week last time, usually in different countries/continents, I just started MFP, right now I'm struggling with jet lag (30 hours travel, I live in South America, right now in United Arab Emirates for work, 7 hours difference), my main problem is that usually had to work in isolated areas (in refineries and oil fields) so usually you have to eat what they have to offer, and the hotels some times have good gym, many times not really good one or not at all.
    Any tips will be appreciated!
  • txgirlbikerchick
    txgirlbikerchick Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am in same boat, except I travel alone. My trips are every week, many by plane. Airport salads scare me, some look so old! I had hubby buy me a blender bottle for Christmas and have bought some protein shakes to help me deal with temptation and bad options in places like airports or driving. (the complimentary breakfasts in hotels are HORRIBLE, no protein that is not greasy, etc and its all my company will let me do for breakfast) I do snag their fruit in the hotel breakfasts a lot and eat it for snacks, etc which helps. I also buy nuts when I can to go with em. Hot liquids are more filling, so I try to do those to help with not being so hungry. I feel your struggle though!
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Pack a bunch of protein bars - handy for on the go meals/lunch or find the nearest supermarket and get sliced ham or chicken and some bread and make simple sandwiches. For breakfast I take some porridge pots (just add boiling water) or go for the boiled egg option & a small roll at breakfast. Stick with fish or chicken (keep it plain if you can) for evening meals.
  • Kimc935
    Kimc935 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is a good idea. I had a terrible weekend. I travel for fun and I work around food half of the year so I get bombarded by bad food. I'm going to spend my weeks dieting and working my tail off and then maybe eat a protien bar before a meal and see if that keeps me from indulging. I just want to say your stats are great. 78 lbs lost. Good for you.. Awsome.
  • WorknPrgress
    WorknPrgress Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also travel a lot for work and sometimes with others, which is more challenging. It is easier to stay in control when you are alone, as this way you do not have to live with whichever restaurant someone else picked. I bring with me the following on every trip:

instant oatmeal - with a baggie of dried fruit and mixed nuts- easy to make and totally portable
    Vega Whole Food Energy Bars - I use this as a meal replacement sometimes, as it is 240 calories, 10 g protein (almost the equivalent of two eggs) 6g fiber, 10g fat, and low in sodium. The low sodium is really hard to find in energy and protien bars, but very important to me, as air travel sometimes makes me swell up a bit in the legs or feet. I like Rickland Greek Yogurt Bars too, in a pinch they are good "sweet" when you just want something a little crunchy.

I also try to stay in Hilton properties because the Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton inns both have hard boiled eggs, bananas, english muffins and peanut butter in their free breakfasts- all good choices for morning

Hope this helps!