Healthy Lunch Ideas

Options
Hi,

Do anyone have a good healthy lunch ideas that are not just salad? Struggling how to make salad interesting every day.

Thanks

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well there's plenty of salad inspirations and ideas on here...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/738594-more-salad-ideas-than-you-can-shake-a-stick-at?hl=salad

Me, I usually make up a big pot of soup or stew at teh weekends, and then freeze it in individual portion containers. Same with leftovers at dinner, if suitable (tagines, curries, leftover couscous etc)
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    I would usually have a healthy but filling cereal (e.g. bran flakes) with either a small amount of milk or a larger amount of fat free natural yogurt. Depending on how much you usually would eat for lunch, either do something simple (e.g. drizzle honey over the top) or something a bit bigger (top with fresh fruits like banana or berries). Either that or I'd have a slice of brown bread (the type that's jammed with seeds) with a light butter/margarine and reduced fat pate. The protein in the pate and the carbs in the bread help to keep you full until you next eat. You could serve this with a side salad, if you're not too bored of greenery. Good luck!
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    sandwich
    soup
    hot meals

Just use portion control......why the focus on just salads?
  • Annabel89
    Annabel89 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I repurpose last nights leftovers...so the chilli goes in a sweet jacket potato to microwave at work, fajita chicken goes on a tortilla pizza or in a salad, roast dinner goes in a sandwich...if you are looking for lower in calories, I do a lot of open sandwiches..so a slice of wholewheat bread with half a can of tuna, peppers and baby leaf spinach topped with balsamic vinegar is yummy.

I photograph everything I eat and everything I wear, so on days when I'm lacking inspiration, I've got a gallery of things to choose from!!

Annabel x
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    My go-to healthy lunch - basically I mix it all together - kinda like a stir-fry. Sometimes I'll add some veggies.

Baked chicken breast (I do this ahead of time) 3 - 4 ounces.

Trader Joe's Frozen Organic Brown Rice (microwaves in 3 minutes; I have 1/2 the pouch - about 200 calories)

Trader Joe's Sweet Chili Sauce
  • FitnessSam24
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately my partner takes the left overs for his lunch. :(
  • rrrayondesoleil
    Options
    My all-time favourite lunch is a sweet potato with some kind of natural peanut butter topping- sometimes I mix with maple syrup, sometimes cinnamon and apple butter.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I microwave a potato, top with veggies and cheese... I did throw in bacon before, or leftover chicken.

I've lost 36lbs and not once have I eaten salad. Not sure where that connection started (I need to lose weight, I'll eat salads all day)...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What do you consider healthy? Certain micro nutrients? Organic? Low cal? High protein?

"healthy" means something different to almost everyone on this site.
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tend to use the small portion frozen lunches, like lean cuisine or weight watchers, paired with ff yogurt or fruit for dessert. Many of these lunches are ~300 cals and many of them are now made with less salt, etc. Another favorite for me is a cup of whole wheat spaghetti with veggies and marinara sauce, sometimes a few turkey meatballs. As someone else said, I have also made pots of soup on the weekend and used it for the week. Tuna and whole grain crackers are great too. Anything that is portioned controlled and has a variety of food groups will work, the key is the amount and how filling it is. I personally find salad to be not very filling and I have more urges to snack afterward, if I eat more protein or whole wheat I feel full longer. Good luck! :smile:
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just make chicken or fish filets in advance, and eat them on big heaps of veggies, like broccoli or something! Try to find a good, healthy sauce with it (salsa is awesome) - and you will be surprised at how much food you can eat at a healthy portion.
  • sally414
    Options
    I highly agree with making a big batch of something on Sunday night... some things I've done:

- Light chicken or tuna salad with crackers with piece of fruit and veggies
    - Chili, soup, or stew with homemade healthy rolls and piece of fruit
    - Buy a rotisserie chicken and take all the meat off the bone, cook up a rice dish and preportion meals that way
    - Flatout wraps with lean meat, cheese, veggies and hummus
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of salads, or the time it takes to make them. Most days I have leftovers. On days (like today) when there are no leftovers, I usually bring either

a handful of spinach or arugula (or whatever dark leafy green I have i the fridge) 1 cup of lowfat cottage cheese and tomatoes with some black pepper.
    Or
    a wrap - I keep high fiber (low net carb) wraps on hand and fill with a generous handful of whatever dark leafy green I have i the fridge, leftover meat/fish (if there is any), canned tuna or hummus, some chopped onion and whatever other crunchy veg I might have on had. Dress with vinaigrette, mustard or hot sauce.

And if I'm really in a hurry, I'll just grab some mini carrots, a couple stalk of celery and some peanut butter.

I also keep cans of reduced sodium soup in my desk for days I forget to bring my lunch.