eating protein?

Options
So I eat healthy foods, lean meat like turkey and chicken, egg whites, sometimes a piece of cheese, greek yogurt, sometimes unsalted nuts, and so I am often over my protein, today by 13 grams, other days by less usually, but it has been this high before, is this bad? I'm usually under on everything else, I noticed a while back I was often over on sugar, but fixed that easily, The protein is harder to fix, because my go to is fruit (which ups my sugar really quickly, like I wouldn't be over sugar today if i hadn't had an apple as a snack), vegetables (which will never give me enough calories), or things like yogurt, nuts, and stuff that all has protein
I've evaluated it and I don't know what to downsize on to even this out, help please

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    So I eat healthy foods, lean meat like turkey and chicken, egg whites, sometimes a piece of cheese, greek yogurt, sometimes unsalted nuts, and so I am often over my protein, today by 13 grams, other days by less usually, but it has been this high before, is this bad? I'm usually under on everything else, I noticed a while back I was often over on sugar, but fixed that easily, The protein is harder to fix, because my go to is fruit (which ups my sugar really quickly, like I wouldn't be over sugar today if i hadn't had an apple as a snack), vegetables (which will never give me enough calories), or things like yogurt, nuts, and stuff that all has protein
    I've evaluated it and I don't know what to downsize on to even this out, help please

nope. no big deal. :)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

nope. no big deal. :)

If you have a good balanced diet, which it sounds like you do, you will almost always go over the recommended protein allowance on MFP. Assuming you don't have any pre-existing medical conditions that would cause concern, then having up to 40-50% of your diet from protein sources is ok.

Just figure out what works best for your body, and your goals. Overall caloric intake (and expenditure) is most important, followed by an adequate protein and fat intake.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i had the same question and i was told that if you were to go over on anything, that protein is the "best" one to go over on.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah, MFP's protein recs are set pretty low. Protein is good!!!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Nope.. protein and fiber are the 2 most important things to make sure you get enough of everyday. Most likely you're not over doing them anyway, MFP isn't allocating you enough. I know when I eat more protein then it says to on here I feel better. Plusi f you are working out you need way more then if you are not.

I wish it was easy for me as it is for you! LOL
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    my diary so far:

CALS CARB FAT PRO FIBER

Totals 1,592 149 37 152 30
    Your Daily Goal 1,700 149 47 170 17
    Remaining 108 0 10 18 13

my protein is always high, i aim for 40%.... its especially good if you are weight training, it helps build and preserve lean muscle.
  • gimmecoffeeiv
    gimmecoffeeiv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am always over my protein. I also know that I feel better with more protein because it seems to help my endurance during running and working out.
  • Rg2324
    Rg2324 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am hypoglycemic, which I need higher protein and lower carbs than most people. As long as I stay within my calorie allowance for the day, I don't worry about it and I am surely less hungry.
  • Rg2324
    Rg2324 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am hypoglycemic, which I need higher protein and lower carbs than most people. As long as I stay within my calorie allowance for the day, I don't worry about it and I am surely less hungry. Best snack for me is almonds.
  • CandieCapps
    CandieCapps Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    According to Bob Harper you should have half your body weight in grams of protein per day. I actually adjusted my protein number on MFP so I don't see the bright red number every time I go over.

Here is the the link talking about it: http://carrotsncake.com/2012/01/bob-harper-on-crossfit-the-biggest-loser-and-his-last-meal-on-earth.html
    "Protein is crucial for muscle repair and building and it also keeps you satiated. I recommend getting in AT LEAST half of your body weight in grams so if you weigh 150 lbs, get in 75 grams."
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    According to Bob Harper you should have half your body weight in grams of protein per day. I actually adjusted my protein number on MFP so I don't see the bright red number every time I go over.

How do I change it?

Also what about the sugar? If i have as little as 2 apples in a day, or an apple and another piece of fruit I already go over my sugar, is it really that bad?
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The sugar recommendation is really there for the bad refined sugars that you find in processed foods, sugar from fruit is fine, unless you go way overboard.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some medical reason to worry about sugar, I wouldn't worry about eating fruit. But if it worries you, just look for fruit with lower sugar content like melons. Personally, I customized my goals so that I only monitor the macros--protein, fat, carbs plus sodium and fiber. If I didn't eat at least 2 servings of fruit a day, I wouldn't hit my fiber grams (28g).
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

How do I change it?

Also what about the sugar? If i have as little as 2 apples in a day, or an apple and another piece of fruit I already go over my sugar, is it really that bad?

On your home tab, click on Goals. Then click on the CHANGE GOALS button. Select Custom Goals. You should see a screen that will allow you to adjust the percentages of carbs, fat and protein.

I agree that it should be adjusted as MFP does not provide a diet with enough protein.