water weigh gain

Options
Can someone shed some light on the subject. HELP I increased my water A LOT! was this a good thing? I thought it was...I am 2 lbs this week. Is it water? if so what does that mean? UGH!!

Replies

• betsij
    betsij Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    up 2 lbs...sorry
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Everyone fluctuates a few lbs a day, up or down. Sometimes the body retains water for multiple reasons, all it means is it isn't "fat" weight, but weight that isn't permanent.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Monthly fluctuations? Salt/ sodium? Water alone doesn't cause the body to become hydrated, many nutrients play a role.
  • samlankford
    Options
    your muscles also retain water when they are repairing... Hell after one of the asylum dvd's my body told me that I gained 5 lbs... it will go away, no worries :bigsmile:
  • WannaBSkinnyBride
    Options
    I have gained 5 pounds in one day due to water weight - it's insane. I have a genetic predisposition to retain water. My grandmother takes 4 times the normal dose of prescription water medication per her doctor because she retains so much water. My mom had a pair of sandles break while she was wearing them because her feet swelled so bad from water retention.

Drinking lots of water helps as well as reducing sodium. I can say that EVERY time I eat salty foods I have a weight gain the next day even thought my calories were fine. If you retain lots of water like my family you may want to talk to your doctor about it. I weigh myself every day for this reason so I can be accustomed to how my body reacts to certain foods and understand how and why my weight will fluctuate.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. #1 I started the 30DS again and my muscles are sore; so that's part of the problem. #2 if you increase your water more than you typically drink, you will retain water. Give it a few days to work itself out. I'm up 5 lbs right now since Wednesday when I started the 30DS, but I'm down inches in my waist and hips.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    I have gained 5 pounds in one day due to water weight - it's insane. I have a genetic predisposition to retain water. My grandmother takes 4 times the normal dose of prescription water medication per her doctor because she retains so much water. My mom had a pair of sandles break while she was wearing them because her feet swelled so bad from water retention.

Drinking lots of water helps as well as reducing sodium. I can say that EVERY time I eat salty foods I have a weight gain the next day even thought my calories were fine. If you retain lots of water like my family you may want to talk to your doctor about it. I weigh myself every day for this reason so I can be accustomed to how my body reacts to certain foods and understand how and why my weight will fluctuate.

ditto... i am the same, i can eat proper cals and healthy foods but if one thing is a bit high in sodium, i gain. i gain sodium weight very easily and it's frustrating...
  • betsij
    Options
    SO I added the sodium column to my food log, with just one meal that I thought was healthy, I have used almost all of the daily suggested! GREAT! One more thing I have to try and keep up with. Any low sodium foods you guys like?
  • betsij
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. #1 I started the 30DS again and my muscles are sore; so that's part of the problem. #2 if you increase your water more than you typically drink, you will retain water. Give it a few days to work itself out. I'm up 5 lbs right now since Wednesday when I started the 30DS, but I'm down inches in my waist and hips.

Oh and I just measured, my waist is down 2 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!! This makes me feel a lot better! IT doesnt seem possible to gain weight and lose inches.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    that is awesome! i also had to add sodium to my diary as there are so many things that shocked me, i thought they were healthy but loaded with sodium.... now i have learnt :)