CABBAGE SOUP DIET

Options
Hi Everyone! Just a quick question, has anyone ever tried the Cabbage Soup diet? I was thinking of trying it to kind of motivate me a little more and get a jump start to loosing weight again. I kind of bell off the weight loss bandwaggon around Christmas! I am well aware that if I loose 10 pounds, I will more than likely gain 5 back because cabbage is like water! However, thats a quick 5 pounds down and a bit of motivation for me to keep going. Thoughts???

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Don't. Severe calorie restriction compromises nutrient intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    this does not sound like a solid long term plan
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    A woman I know got pretty sick with that, she wasn't even on the cabbage soup diet she just loves the stuff and was eating a ton of it and there was so much fiber she had issues.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea. You already know that you'll mostly lose water weight. How is it motivating to lose it and then gain it back again? Also, why restrict your overall nutrition? There's nothing special about the diet, it is just a way of creating an extreme calorie deficit. That's not really a good idea, especially with only 30lbs or so to lose.

You don't need to "kick start" weight loss - just start it. Start eating at a moderate calorie deficit, and you will see results. They won't be overnight or dramatic, but to be honest, that's a good thing. I think it's the dramatic loss of water weight that is so enticing to some people, and so conducive to yo-yo dieting. Just eat normal food, not too much of it, and get some exercise. Keep doing that. You don't have to do some crazy regime to get results. Treat your body well, it's the only one you've got. :flowerforyou:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Tried it back in the early 90's, to this day I can't smell cabbage with out wanting to throw up. With that said like lots of people, I have tried many desperate gimmicky tricks to lose weight. Ever since I became honest with myself and admitted the only way was good old fashioned diet and hard work, I have lost 106 lbs.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Im a soup addict and lose plenty of weight by eating healthy. Make a nice pan of soup for your lunches. Eat a good breakfast of cereal or porridge with fruit and skimmed milk. Have a good healthy eve meal with a nice bit of lean meat and loads of veggies. Spuce it up. Drink plenty of water and you will lose weight! And carry on enjoying soup the healthy way. Good luck hun x

Theres loads of inspiration and support on here. I make huge vats of soup every week but eat other stuff r
    too xx
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    This is an ABSURD prescription for total failure.
    Consider the MFP recommendation....:flowerforyou:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...thoughts....I'm thinking about a calorie deficit with real food that you normally eat, exercise, and this is going to be the tough part for most people...but...wait for it...some..... patience.

Doing something like this because you want to "quick jumpstart" isn't the best way to look at weight loss. Do something you can maintain and wait for the results. The problem most people have is they have a "I want it NOW!" attitude which gets them frustrated and they give up.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I normally eat a lot of vegies and LOVE them! Turns out I am the only person who ever gained weight and on it, and boy did I follow it. I loved the soup and couldn't wait to make variations and ate it all day long!

I honestly think I consume too few calories regularly and eat at the wrong times, so this was not the jumpstart for me :( I wish it had worked..
  • StephanieRosenbaum23
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for the support!I wont be trying the cabbage soup diet. I think maybe I just needed a reality check. Weight loss is not quick. It takes time, and if I put in the hard work it will pay off in the end. Thanks again! =)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am glad you have decided against it. Extremely low calorie diets do take weight off, but they are not sustainable or healthy! In the long run, the good old fashioned way is much better.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My coworkers did it a few months ago. I think one of them lost 15lbs but in the four months since has put on that and more. She was cranky and miserable the whole time she was on it.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    IF you like the soup, make it a part of your healthy daily calorie intake. Do not try to live on the stuff.
  • supergirljen
    Options
    I make that cabbage soup and eat it when I feel the NEED to eat, but shouldn't. I figure it is beter than failing with junk food. I would never eat JUST the soup though. Your body would be starving!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Have you smelled what cabbage farts smell like? Now imagine a few weeks' worth of them.... ICK.

Save your sanity and those around you's more delicate sensibilities and just eat right, drink plenty of water and exercise. Mmmkay?
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    there is a strict regime you follow, so it is not just soup :) I can't remember because it was a LONG time back, like 6 years for me, but you eat regular food too, it is just specific foods.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I think if I ate that much cabbage I'd be very lonely! :blushing:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cabbage soup. I can it raw, broiled, baked, spiced, you name it. But I could not eat it as a main supplement. Not filling and extremely lacking full nutrition.

Not sustainable and in the end, it'd be a way to turn me off one of my favorite foods. I think I'd cry.
  • Candicejoy1988
    Candicejoy1988 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It is good if you are looking to clean out the intestines... But it's not something I would do for every meal... Maybe like everyday for lunch for a week or so... But i would still eat normal good healthy foods for your other meals.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I would lose weight on this because its so disgusting that I would eat nothing.