Cold Weather Running

Options
13»

Replies

• kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm a Wisconsin runner, too! I ran on the treadmill the other night & thought my four miles would never end! I personally love my Nike climate gear I picked up at the outlet store last year. I've got a number of other brand pieces given to me as gifts that do not compare at all. My goal is to find a hat & face cover that's not to big. I've got a small head (with big brains) and they either slip or gap on me. I also run on country roads in the dark and would love suggestions for the nights it's pitch black.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The coldest I have had to run in is around 30 degrees (and that was in october!) I love underarmour cold gear. I have tights and a shirt that I wear under a regular shirt and pants. I also just bought cold gear gloves that work really well.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Thanks for all your tips, tricks, knowledge, and gear :flowerforyou:
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips you've already included here. I want to do c25k but have been waiting for the snow and ice in Colorado to melt off. Might try it with these ideas.

^^Me too. I hate bundling up, and I hate being cold. I feel like such a big baby now.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Went running in the low to mid 20s on Saturday but it was beautifully sunny and not a lot of wind. I wore TWO layers of cold weather running tights, my awesome shirt I linked in my previous post (I have a picture I'll post later LOL), my running jacket, convertible gloves (Mittens that convert to fingerless gloves which is great for once you're warm), and my Underarmour winter hat. I was toasty warm - it was actually enjoyable. It helped that my trail was probably 90% clear of snow and ice. I got a 6.5 mile run in!
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    Went running in the low to mid 20s on Saturday but it was beautifully sunny and not a lot of wind. I wore TWO layers of cold weather running tights, my awesome shirt I linked in my previous post (I have a picture I'll post later LOL), my running jacket, convertible gloves (Mittens that convert to fingerless gloves which is great for once you're warm), and my Underarmour winter hat. I was toasty warm - it was actually enjoyable. It helped that my trail was probably 90% clear of snow and ice. I got a 6.5 mile run in!

Great run! I actually ran on Saturday with all my normal layers. It was slightly warmer at 25 degrees but it was during the day in the sun. I was almost to warm this time. Needed to unzip my top layer jacket and remove my gloves. Its amazing what the sun can do..haha although the ice that was left on the sidewalks was starting to melt which made it way more slick then just running on the completely frozen stuff.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Here's my awesome running shirt: i-d8nC2Rw-L.jpg
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Do you find that there's a lot of condensation on your face, or does the fabric soak it up pretty well? I sometimes pull my scarf over my mouth when it gets too brisk, but the dampness of my breath is kind of annoying and I usually end up pulling it off again.

The other nice thing I found this morning is hand warmers!! They were forecasting -25C (-13F) and I was really nervous to go running because the last time I went out at that temperature my fingers hurt so much from the cold even inside two pairs of mittens. Then I found these little air-activated hand warmers in my drawer... and it was perfect! It ended up being a lot warmer than they predicted... only -18C I think, but the hand warmers were still nice! They're one-use only, but I'm thinking of DIYing some little fleecy ones filled with rice or oats that I can stick in the microwave before my run.
  • ksavvy
    ksavvy Posts: 52
    Options
    My cold weather cycling gear (gloves, arm warmers, no-chamois insulate tights, base layer t-neck, wind jacket) works really well for winter running. We'll see what I think when I get back today. It's windy here in SE WI today!!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I live in South Texas and it's been cold (for us) the past week. When I ran on Friday it was only 43 degrees. For you that might be balmy, but for me, it's cold! I had three layers on, and finally warmed up after 5 miles. I can't imagine running in freezing weather, you have excellent dedication!
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    That is awesome! Do you find that there's a lot of condensation on your face, or does the fabric soak it up pretty well? I sometimes pull my scarf over my mouth when it gets too brisk, but the dampness of my breath is kind of annoying and I usually end up pulling it off again.

The other nice thing I found this morning is hand warmers!! They were forecasting -25C (-13F) and I was really nervous to go running because the last time I went out at that temperature my fingers hurt so much from the cold even inside two pairs of mittens. Then I found these little air-activated hand warmers in my drawer... and it was perfect! It ended up being a lot warmer than they predicted... only -18C I think, but the hand warmers were still nice! They're one-use only, but I'm thinking of DIYing some little fleecy ones filled with rice or oats that I can stick in the microwave before my run.

It is "moist" but I wouldn't say excessively so. I did use it on and off during my entire run that day. At the beginning, and then anytime I was running into the wind. Though sometimes I just pulled it up over my chin. I did find I couldn't wear my sunglasses with it though - fogged up the lenses. Of course, after a while I was breathing heavily enough that I couldn't wear my sunglasses at all LOL.

Oh, and there is NO WAY I'd be running in negative temps. Even 20 degrees with a bad wind is a bit much for me. Though I do have a treadmill to fall back on when that happens.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    My cold weather cycling gear (gloves, arm warmers, no-chamois insulate tights, base layer t-neck, wind jacket) works really well for winter running. We'll see what I think when I get back today. It's windy here in SE WI today!!

i was just going to say that cyclists have solved this problem pretty decently. I was bike commuting for a month or two before I realized that I was solving all the same problems (except traction) in exactly the same ways. I run in my biking jacket bought it from a place that supplies bicycle cops their gear, so I am not only visible and ventilated, but I look like cars should respect me on the road - it's great, if a little stiff.

One thing to keep in mind, the saying "Cotton kills" is dead on. If you wear cotton, and it gets wet, you will get cold. There's a lot of cotton-poly blend out there marketed as "athletic wear" and it LOOKS warm, and it FEELS warm inside the house or while it's still dry, and if you go run in it, and sweat in it, you'll also freeze in it. I hate synthetics, and can't afford an all-wool wardrobe, but in winter I suck it up and leave my cozy cotton at home.
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    Anyone know if there are any good "weather app" out there that give the windspeed along with the the temps for the day? I am always asking Suri on my iPhone what the windspeed is. Wish it would just give a rough estimate of the windspeed on the app as well for the day. Wind is a huge factor in running.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Anyone know if there are any good "weather app" out there that give the windspeed along with the the temps for the day? I am always asking Suri on my iPhone what the windspeed is. Wish it would just give a rough estimate of the windspeed on the app as well for the day. Wind is a huge factor in running.

Have you check weatherbugg? I know it has a lot of detail, but don't know if windspeed is included. Perhaps look for apps for boating weather conditions?
  • teenajain7
    Options
    Try WeatherRun, it combines detailed weather conditions with run tracking.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weather-run-bike-walk-hike/id599397919?mt=8
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wind is a huge factor in running.

The weather app I use is called Weather+ I think. I hate running in the wind, I'll take the freezing cold before a windy day any time! :)
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Weather Channel app