Not enough Protein-I am shocked.

Options
What the heck it's afternoon and I just ate my lunch and I logged it but it is telling me that I am -10 in protein. Holy cow! Any suggestions or ideas? One thing I can think of is I need to switch my breakfast maybe. Been eating cereal but thinking I need to switch to hard boiled eggs. Any rate, any suggestions would be great. Thanks all!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What the heck it's afternoon and I just ate my lunch and I logged it but it is telling me that I am -10 in protein. Holy cow! Any suggestions or ideas? One thing I can think of is I need to switch my breakfast maybe. Been eating cereal but thinking I need to switch to hard boiled eggs. Any rate, any suggestions would be great. Thanks all!

Aren't you going to eat again later?
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Aren't you going to eat again later?

Same question.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It puts the whey into the cup or else it gets the hose again.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm low on protein for a day, I typically go for a shake (almond milk and whey protein). I'm also trying to eat closer to 250g/day, so 48g in a drink might throw you off.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi. I went to a nutritionist and she suggested that I add protein powder to get more protein. I have a protein smoothy every morning, try to have protein in my salad for lunch and protein for dinner. I think I get about 110 grams of protein a day (I weigh about 150 now and am trying to lose fat and get down to 140 lbs). The smoothy has about a cup of strawberries, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 tbsp flax seed and 1 tbs chia seeds. I also sometimes have a pumpkin smoothy which I put in 1/2 cup of pumpkin, cinnamon and pumpkin spices instead of the fruit. They are delicious and fill me up all the way until lunch time.
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you allotted each day?
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary so I can't give recommendations. I think the protein levels is set rather low. I'm over a lot. Cheers!
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    if your food diary was open it would make it easier for us to see what you mean and to give more helpful advice.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Can you open diary so we can understand better what you mean by "-10"? I would assume as another did that this means you are over. Being over in protein is fine.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hang on , if you've got -10 left in protein, that means you've gone over, not under doesn't it??
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hang on , if you've got -10 left in protein, that means you've gone over, not under doesn't it??

This, but if you're using the default values then I'd probably bump up my protein if I were you.
  • BethW01
    BethW01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Okay, sorry everyone I am still kind of learning my way around. I will open it up and let you have a look at it once I figure it out. OMG!! This is going to be so embarassing. :blushing:

And you bet your heiny I am gonna eat dinner tonight but it looks like it will be lean meat or maybe some leftover mahi mahi. :)

Thanks all!!!
  • BarbCook12
    Options
    Having no idea how tall you are it's hard to tell what your protein level should be. Protein is great but you also need a healthy blend of carbs and fats. Can you give us more info so we can help you find the right goals?
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Going over on protein is a good thing, not a bad thing. Ignore the negative!
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I would love to see your food diary to see the rest of your diet. If you can share, it would be great
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Unless you modified your macros, I am betting you don't eat enough protein anyway. Change the goals settings in MFP to be something more like 40 carb / 30 protein / 30 fat. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Unless you modified your macros, I am betting you don't eat enough protein anyway. Change the goals settings in MFP to be something more like 40 carb / 30 protein / 30 fat. :)

This^^^

MFP's default settings are really high on carbs and low on the protein. Is the -10 you're seeing in red? If so, this means you've exceeded the goal for that macro...as others have stated, not a big deal in RE to protein especially since MFP has those numbers so low.

I agree with the 40/30/30 or do a 50/25/25 if that's a bit easier.
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've researched protein and found two answers: 1g of protein for each pound of body mass - or - 1g of protein for each pound of LEAN body mass.

Whichever is correct is still much higher than MFP standard settings.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Kashi makes some good high-protein/high fiber cereals.