Biggest Loser - on last night

Options

Replies

• danimal5867
    Options
    Last night was the first time that I watched the show. I'm glad that I didn't watch it before I started my own fitness plan. I think that it could give people who are new to diet and exercise a wrong impression of what it takes to get healthy.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    there was a leak of information a while back, the women on the show eat around 1200 calories a day and exercise between 5000-8000 calories a day.

8000 calories burnt. Wow.

They workout, eat, sleep, in a pattern all through the day.

I couldn't and wouldn't do that and they weigh in around every 14 - 20 days, they never actually say it's a week on the show, they just air the show weekly.

There was a big rant by the ex presenter of the Australian one too about how one of the contestants fixed it (Adro) and now milks it with his $17,000 (AUS) a month "weight loss resort".
  • I'm from the UK so I have to catch what I can online, but I do love the US Biggest Loser, the UK one just isn't as good. I don't watch it for education, or information. I watch it because it's somewhat motivating and it's interesting to the journeys these people go through. If you can remove reality tv from real life, I don't see any issue in watching a show like this. No person with half a brain expects to be able to lose the same amount of weight in a week that the contestants lose with the trainers.
    As for having the teenagers on it, I'm in two minds. Yes, it's a fantastic opportunity for these children to get healthy and change their lives before their weight negatively impacts their health in any serious way, but should it be done on tv for the whole world to see? Not really. I don't agree with any 13 year old growing up and having their changes viewable by anyone who cares to look. Although, I do think Bingo is a little cutie and I just want to give him a big cuddle. He's such a good little character, I really hope he succeeds.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Only read half of the post here but I'm glad I have not wasted my time. Are we on here to compete with others or get ourselves in shape? Ever notice how "reality" shows often are the farthest from reality
  • patchover
    patchover Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do agree that they shouldn't have voted anyone off last night. I think we'll see the woman that went home back later. I think that is really sad, especially since the man that was voted off just hit his groove.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I do not watch it regularly but my general thoughts are that it is good for (subjectively, of course):

1) Entertainment
    2) Motivation

And it is absolutely AWFUL for:

3) Information
    4) Anything resembling reality as it pertains to expectations

and my belief is that the bad can outweigh the good unless the viewer separate the above lists.

As usual, SS hit the nail on the head. Exactly what he said. But damn you to all my East Coaster people on my FL. You people and your spoiler statuses! :angry:

x2
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love the show and love me some Jillian!!!
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think its totally unrealistic in a healthy weight loss sense but it is a TV show and if it was realistic lets face it no one would watch it!! LOL I certainly wouldnt be able to take someone belittling me like they do with all the yelling and stuff. That would not motivate me to do anything other than sock Jillian in the face (would that count as cardio??? hmmmm lol)

But alas I keep getting sucked in every year, after swearing I wont watch it again. I do like to see the physical changes as they all start to lose weight. That part does help to inspire me to do better and I certainly dont want to snack in front of the TV while watching it!

So I take it for what it is....a sensationalized TV program that at least gets me thinking about my own goals :-)
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do agree that they shouldn't have voted anyone off last night. I think we'll see the woman that went home back later. I think that is really sad, especially since the man that was voted off just hit his groove.
    NOPE! Once someone walks off the show, you NEVER see them again! It's happened before. I watch the show because it's like a train wreck.....don't want to look, but can't stop staring! It makes me cringe, but I do love to see the transformations! I think they put too much emphasis on exercise, and not enough on diet. Reality TV is not always totally REAL. I'm sure a lot of it is staged for the cameras.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I thought it was coming on tonight. I guess I missed it too.

It IS coming on tonight - Monday night is the regular night. My husband and I love the way we get inspired when we watch it, however, I was totally surprised last night when a McDonalds McRib commercial came on. We were saying how much $$$$ McDonalds had to pay for that time slot!!

Gotta remember, its just a TV show - real life is real life!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Good article!

Another good read:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/biggest-loser-feedback.html

^^ Lyle Mcdonald gives his thoughts on an article sent to him from a Biggest Loser contestant.
  • getphit09
    getphit09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Jillian is a BEAST - loved having her back ... Dolvett and Bob even got a little in them too ..... Bob was quite the character when he mentioned Jillian was back ...LOL ... I liked how the show began - an audience rather than going to each hometown and surprising contestants. I was very surprised that Planet Fitness is now the sponsor gym -- no loner 24hr Fitness. Was this so last season (didn't watch closely the past couple seasons)? Overall, this seasons contestants puked more than any I have ever seen ...like really. Looking forward to see how the season progresses.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    There was so many people wiping out and puking! its a very motivational show! Poor Ct though I definitely thought he should of stayed! white team is already down 2 people now.

I know!!! I think he wanted to be there the most!...
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I watch it for what it is, mindless entertainment.

The kids last night, however, did get to me. I instantly fell in love with "Bingo" I'll follow along with the hope that it will be life changing for them. Even if it's off camera, I hope there is some motivation, education and support for their parents or it's not going to matter what they lose on the show.
  • allegedglobalconspiracy
    Options
    I am so glad to see that Jillian is back!! She's tough, but I love her approach.
  • TinaCleg
    Options
    I love the show...guilty pleasure..
  • soulie
    soulie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is on Sunday and Monday this week.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    :smile: When Biggest Loser first started it was a great show for info, showing different excercises you can do at home, what foods to eat & quantity but as the years have gone on it has become way to commercialized for me. Plus what people watching don't understand is that these people are at the Ranch for 8 months & strictly regulated with excercise & eating so of course anyone can lose weight that way! I just take it for what it is:ohwell:

Anyone can lose weight that way IF they put the graft in and don't just go home. The trainers prepare a paper programme and shout a lot, it's the participants who ignore their muscles screaming at them to stop, who carry on until they collapse or puke and then get up and carry on. How many times have you done that? I have clients thank and credit me for their results and I always tell them THEY consistently showed up at the gym, THEY put the work in, THEY ate the healthy foods and limited the crappy ones. I tell them to be proud of themselves and that they have impressed me.

Many people have access to tough gym classes, bootcamp/ army fitness sessions in the park, hardcore fitness DVDs, some get up at 4am to train before their families arise, some come into the gym right before closing on their way home from a long late shift, some use the gym despite being on holiday, some get up at 7am in the snow on a Sunday for a half as part of their training for the London marathon, some go to crazy fitness events on a weekend.

I have worked in lifestyle healthcare for many years - both commercial health clubs and the UK National Health Service - I understand better than you think. It's ignorant and insulting that you dismiss the effort and determination these people put in. You might have to spread the effort and results over more weeks/ months to fit in a full time job but you can achieve much the same if you commit for the long haul. Many people who join a gym, employ a trainer or see their doctor just don't stick with it: a high percentage of newbies won't even be attending the gym by the end of January, they will be smoking again or given up on the diet.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I do not watch it regularly but my general thoughts are that it is good for (subjectively, of course):

1) Entertainment
    2) Motivation

And it is absolutely AWFUL for:

3) Information
    4) Anything resembling reality as it pertains to expectations

and my belief is that the bad can outweigh the good unless the viewer separate the above lists.

I watch it for 1&2.... I enjoy it though :)