Heart attack at age 39 - how's that for motivation?

Options
Greetings all -

On November 1, 2012, I had a heart attack. I turn 40 this month. A few months ago I was bummed about the prospect of turning 40, and getting older in general. Now I'm VERY excited to reach this milestone and 40 seems very, very young.

I'd gotten out of shape over many years of a desk job. A few years ago I lost a lot of weight, but got complacent and gained it back. I know how to do it, though, and I know I CAN do it. Recent events have given me all the motivation I need. I've got two young kids, lots of friends and family who I love, and countless good times yet to be had.

From my previous weight loss experience, I know that tracking food and regular weigh-ins are essential. So far I am very impressed with the tools available on this site (and the price!)

I've done well lately on eating right (holidays were tough but I made it) and cardio exercise. I realize I need to do some strength training, too. Will start working on that soon. I've been participating in a cardiac rehab program in connection with the heart attack - basically it's me and roomful of 75 year-old dudes doing cardio exercise and making inappropriate comments to the nursing staff (the older guys, I mean, not me!) I like and it and it is good to be active, but it's all cardio-focused and it is not convenient to my house. I'm trying to figure out what to do next, whether it's a gym membership or something else.

Anyway, that's me. I do not expect to be a huge contributor on the forums here. But I regularly participate in other online forums so at least I needed to check in and see what's up.

By the way, the photo of me in glasses and a beret was on Halloween. I was dressed as a "professor" which was meant to be funny because I actually do teach one class and it had met that day. I used the picture because it was taken one day before the heart attack. I probably should use something that actually looks like me, though (I don't wear glasses, or berets, or smoke a pipe!)

Replies

• Texgal9816
    Texgal9816 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to share your story! I know I don't know you but I'm glad you are still on this earth :smile:
    I am 36 (37 this year) and yes 40 is still very young. It always is the health scares that light a fire under us. Good luck in your journey!
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Best wishes, we know you can do it!!
  • runfrazierrun
    Options
    thank you for sharing.. Heart issues run in my family and they way my father lives and eats i have a feeling he will have a major heart attack.. hes already had a minor one and it hasnt seemed to help him want to get healthy...

any tips on your journey that helped you id love to hear!
    I really would like my father to be around as long as possible.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Now That's a scary wake-up call! We're here to help with whatever you need.
    Feel free to add me.
    Nancy
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story....you are definately at the right place. You can do this...we can do this!! Wishing you all the best!! Feel free to add me if you'd like :smile:
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    my dad had his first heart attack at 38, had bypass surgery at 39.. and had a blood clot go thru his heart during surgery inducing another heart attack... which ultimately took his life. He died on the table. Glad to see you survived yours... its certainly a wake up call!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story! I wish you luck on your journey! Your photo makes me think of the show Myth Busters! Feel free to add me!
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Good luck. A cardiac event is one of my biggest concerns right now.
  • TinaCleg
    Options
    But you survived! Today is a new day. You can do it. You will find tons of support here.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Really glad you are still on this side of the grass.

My dad died at age 41 from a heart attack.
  • jayenomics
    jayenomics Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good luck man! Feel free to add me! Not a lot of active guys who aren't extremely ripped already..haha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Good luck man...I was well on my way to the same at 38 according to my doc. Pretty much got my *kitten* in gear after that little conversation.
  • pksd
    pksd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Healthier heart (and everything else around it) is the reason I am here. Good luck with your journey and thanks for sharing :)
  • yittosity
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. I thought I had all the motivation I needed, but if anything, the stories about people dying young might have given me even more. So thanks(?) for that!
  • jiggy66
    jiggy66 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had a heart attack at 31, so I feel your pain! It's awfully early for us to be having these sorts of problems. Best of luck to you on your journey!