Dealing with Triggers

Options
I have faithfully been logging in for a week and had been excited to get to the gym this past weekend. Saturday came and just as I was about to leave my house, I got hit with bad news like a ton of bricks. My father in law has stage 4 colon cancer.

I lost both of my parents less than 10 years ago and he's been my "father" ever since. He's been in the hospital for 3 weeks now and just when things start to turn around for him to come home, something else happens. It's become very stressful and frustrating. I have dealt with alot of tragedy in my life but I'm not sure how to deal with this. All I know is I have to remain strong for my husband, who is hit very hard by this.

I know there are things in life that try to sidetrack from our goals and we have to keep going. Even if it includes weight loss and getting healthy. All this has made me want to make sure I am well and healthy. While this should be a motivator, it's also been a trigger; ate very little but when I have it's junk.

How does everyone deal with their own triggers? Perhaps it can help me deal with this one :(

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am so sorry. This has to be so hard and I can relate to what you are going through :(
    It's so easy to fall into bad habits when you are stressed and worried about other people. Remembering how important it is to take care of you will hopefully help and making time for your health will be so important. When my dad was sick with Stage IV cancer, I was so worried and wanted to be with him, but I made sure I took time to breathe and exercise for me so I could de stress a bit. Also, trying to keep healthy foods on hand and in sight will be helpful
  • TONEDSTEF
    TONEDSTEF Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that. The only advice I can give you is to hand it over to powers above. I'm not sure what or who you believe in, but whatever it is you have to hand it over. We can't handle it all on our own. I'm here for you if you need me. I'll pray for your family and father-in-law.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    fresh air :flowerforyou:
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Honestly I find it easiest to just stick to the plan when I'm upset, because it's become such a habit to spend a short amount of time on the weekend preparing food for the week ahead so I can just grab and eat, I don't have to think about it and can then focus on what ever else is going on. If you're having to wonder what to eat at 6pm when you're both upset and hungry you may not make great choices, so having something planned or prepared might make it easier to just be and process your feeling and support one another.