Protein...

Options
I am finding that I need more protein for energy, but I don't want to add a lot of calories. Does anyone have suggestions for protein-rich foods that wouldn't kill me on calories? I don't eat fish, so that's out.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Chicken is a lean meat that has a good amount of protein. Also try beans and green veggies.
  • ctroxell2004
    Options
    A lot of the super fitness nuts say eggs are huge staples for them.....
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt? Chobani only has 140-160 calories and 14grams of protein. Or you could buy a protein shake/powder and for 90 calories get up to 20 grams of protein in one scoop...
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is a good snack. Lots of protein, not a lot of calories.
  • rdukes08
    Options
    I have been having the same issue. Chicken and Fish does it for me. Also, there's this protein bar called Quest. Although I think the protein bars taste horrible, these bars have 20g of Protein and are considered one of the best on the market. Calorie count is also reasonable. I usually have one after a really good workout.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt has 10g protein per 100g and 59 calories
  • rhinojoe
    Options
    Fish.
  • smilinglaura
    Options
    you might like to try quorn- a vegetable based protein which is low in fat. its available as "mince" or "chicken-style pieces", you can make favourites like spag bol, chile, curries etc which are low in calories.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes and cottage cheese are good too.
  • methodless
    Options
    Extra Lean Chicken Breast
    30% protein, about 1% fat

100g worth has approximately the same nutritional macros as a protein shake
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Beef sirloin
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts
    Egg whites
    Whole Eggs
    Protein Shakes
    Lean Beef
    Lean ground turkey
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    In calorie/protein bang for your buck order:

Lean meat.

Eggs.

Fish.

Milk/Cheese/Yogurt.

Beans.

Also, Google is helpful for these kinds of questions.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    protein powder is my go-to
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I am finding that I need more protein for energy, but I don't want to add a lot of calories. Does anyone have suggestions for protein-rich foods that wouldn't kill me on calories? I don't eat fish, so that's out.

Thanks! :)

Why do you think you need protein for energy? Many nutrients are involved in energy production, including minerals and essential fatty acids. Are you taking a long chain omega-3 supplement?
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    nonfat greek yogurt, egg whites, protein powder, low fat cottage cheese....those are my staples.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Meat is the best source of protein.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, Sargento makes a few really great 60 and 50 calorie a stick cheeses that I get from Sam's club. Also, any type of beans you can smash (or just get refried beans) and roll-up into lettuce.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    Bump, ME NEEDS PROTEIN =)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    If you want lean, I wouldn't go for eggs as the yolk is fatty. If you still want eggs go for scrambled egg, 3 whites and 1 yolk.

I tend to live on chicken breast and turkey breast without skin as they are usually less than 5% fat and protein rich.