Treadmill Decision

Options
Hello everyone, I hope your New Year is starting off well. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, but fairly cheap treadmill ? I looked at the Weslo Cadence thats at Walmart for $297 but noticed the incline is manual. To me that means I would have to get off and do something to make it incline ? I am unemployed at the moment and looking to hopefully do a lay-away plan. I don't even know if that's possibly anymore. What do you have ? Any complaints ? I may get some names and start looking on Craigslist here in the Boston North area,

Replies

• BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Check the local elementary & high schools in your area. There is a middle school in the next town over from me lets people come use their indoor track for free. There is an elementary school in the same town as me where you can go walk/jog the long halls during after school hours. That would be a free option for you during the cold months.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap POS proform - and I work it to death. It's the loudest thing on planet earth (except my dogs) but it gets the job done. You can probably find the model I have on craigslist for like $50.
  • grinogirl
    grinogirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping my eye out on CL for a treadmill and now i'm considering an elliptical too. thanks for the ideas !!
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    hope you find what you are looking for :)

Maybe you can see if anyone that you know (friends/family) if they have one that you can borrow for a few months, and if your not using it in the months that you said, then give it back :) thats how i got my 1st treadmill. I promised to use if for only 3 months and i gave it back..it gave me enough time to save up for my own while at the same time still worked out :)

Good luck
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    if money is an issue why not run outside? less money, better workout (small muscles are solicited) less boring?
    unless you have to stay home for any reason, but else I would just do it outside
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a specific reason for getting a treadmill, but if you haven't thoroughly considered all your options already here's my advice: spend the money on a good pair of running shoes and workout clothes and run outside instead. I used to only stay on the treadmill, but now I only use one if it's too cold to run outside. Outside's more challenging and a lot less boring. Plus with a treadmill comes maintenance fees, especially on a cheap one.

Alternatively, get a gym membership - I pay $200 a year for mine, and I have access to a whole range of cardio equipment, weights, and group fitness classes.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I had the Weslo you are looking at. It was fine for walking but it wasn't sturdy at all and didnt make a good transition for when I started running. The belt became really loose and it shifted from side to side when I ran. It just isn't heavy or supportive enough, even for someone my height and weight (5 ft 2 in, 150 lbs). I don't have any personal recommendations other than the Nordic Track. My mother runs most days of the week for at least an hour and she loves hers.

Edit: I agree with the person who posted above me. Running outside and investing in a gym membership were both far more motivational for me. I'm not sure if either of those are an option for you, but for what you can spend on a semi-decent treadmill you can get a gym membership with all the amenities.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well I have the Weslo Walmart treadmill and it's great. I am going to upgrade soon though, this is the one I've been looking at and it's not much more expensive.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Trainer-410-Treadmill/17164498
    $349
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    383756_2352324960193_1741574777_n_zps3119c3d6.jpg
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Get as wide a treadmill as you can afford. Worry about gadgets when you can afford it.
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    just replaced my GOLD GYM 410 Treadmill from Walmart with a Gold's Gym Elliptical 410 *18" stride*.....I prefer to run outside and for various reasons had the treadmill as a backup. It bothered my knee when I ran on it. Love the elliptical...have had it just a week.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I'm in Massachusetts as well and trying to exercise outside can be a challenge in the winter.

As a former "treadmill only" person who now only does it when weather or darkness require it, I'll ask how much you're planning on using it. If it's more than 1-2 times a week, unfortunately, I'd say if you can spend a bit more ($500+ at least), then I'd strongly advise you to do so. Most of the low end budget treadmills won't hold up to a fairly regular running routine, I broke two ProForm treadmills (which allowed up to a 9MPH pace, but obviously weren't meant for it) within 18 months as I ramped up to 25 miles per week.

Sorry if this isn't the news you wanted to hear. Another option would be to use the local high school track? The one in my town still gets a fair amount of use in the winter, and does sit in the sun (what little we get :) so it's generally cleared off even after a decent snowstorm.

Good luck!
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You mentioned lay-a-way plans. I don't think Walmart does them except for Christmas, but both Sears and Kmart still have that option. I have the Gold's Gym 410 from Walmart, and for two years it held up well until the motor gave out. Thankfully I purchased the extended warranty and was able to get a new motor at no cost. But if I replace it, I will definitely be upgrading.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical - I can use it when it's too cold to go outside and then run outside when it's not. That way I'm always changing things up a little bit.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have a Pro-Form and it is the LOUDEST POS I've ever used!!!!!! It has all the power options, incline, speed, pre-programmed workout routes, etc. It works great for walking, jogging, running, HIIT, whatever I use it for. I've only had to have it serviced twice and I've had it for over 5 years. The belt needs to be tightened every 2-3 months. It sucks energy like I suck water. Our bills are through the roof in the colder months from heating the house and 3 people using the treadmill for at least an hour everyday.

Did I mention it's louder than my TV? Yeah, I highly recommend having surround sound or some awesome earbuds for your iPod. I've never used a treadmill that was this loud. Every time we call the guy to figure out what's wrong with it, he just says that it's getting old and we need to buy a new one. I'm not spending another grand for peace and quiet. How about you do your job and fucxing fix it?!
  • emmagreenie
    Options
    I would definitely avoid buying a cheap walmart treadmill... Like other users have said, try borrowing a treadmill, going to a gym, or going to a school or the mall to walk around inside. Use the time that you spent with your alternate activity to save up for a nicer model. There are some decent NordicTrack treadmills starting at just below $1000, and they won't give you grief like the cheap Weslo model will. Plus, this way, you can make sure that you are going to stick with an exercise routine before forking over the money for a treadmill!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I have a Pro-Form and it is the LOUDEST POS I've ever used!!!!!! It has all the power options, incline, speed, pre-programmed workout routes, etc. It works great for walking, jogging, running, HIIT, whatever I use it for. I've only had to have it serviced twice and I've had it for over 5 years. The belt needs to be tightened every 2-3 months. It sucks energy like I suck water. Our bills are through the roof in the colder months from heating the house and 3 people using the treadmill for at least an hour everyday.

Did I mention it's louder than my TV? Yeah, I highly recommend having surround sound or some awesome earbuds for your iPod. I've never used a treadmill that was this loud. Every time we call the guy to figure out what's wrong with it, he just says that it's getting old and we need to buy a new one. I'm not spending another grand for peace and quiet. How about you do your job and fucxing fix it?!

I know I posted above that my proform POS is loud-but this made me laugh. I did notice that mine got noticeably louder as soon as I began restarting it after it shut off at 99:59. But mine is the lowest proform they sell at sears-I think it was like $300 on sale-and I've put probably close to 1000 miles on it so I guess I can't really complain too much. And I don't listen to music or watch TV when I run, but agree that this thing is WAY louder than the TV or my iPod.