Traveling Overseas Overweight

Options
2»

Replies

• amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    it felt great to hop on a flight ask for the belt extension and then realize i didnt need it anymore... I wanted to dance up and down the aisle screaming victory!!!
  • LondonCalling2
    LondonCalling2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, Melissa

I can completely understand you feeling concerned. I've always used vacations as a motivator (but am now determined to just get healthy and stop the see-sawing - that's my own story/problem, though!)

My husband and I travel overseas for pleasure at least a couple of times/year - and from my experience I don't think you'll have any real problems. You may actually feel more uncomfortable in some of the buses than on the flight (as some of the buses are quite tight in the aisles and seats). Also, on the Tube or the Metro there's plenty of times when it's very crowded and you might feel self-conscious - but I've felt the same here in NYC on the subway.

The hardest thing for me has always been going somewhere like Paris or Italy and not being able to enjoy bringing home an item of beautiful clothing as a souvenir. Even when I was quite a bit thinner than I am now, there were still issues with some of the items I really liked (although I do have a beautiful jacket from our honeymoon trip to Paris 11 years ago that I am determined to fit in again).

I would absolutely recommend, as others already have, that you have good comfortable shoes (and I never wear tennies/trainers in Europe - they definitely don't blend in) and have spent enough time walking that doing 5 or 10 miles of footwork per day doesn't leave you too tired to enjoy an evening out.

Sounds like a great trip. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Graham, I'm going to England, Belgium, the Netherlands, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, and Germany.

I'm Canadian but live in England and have been to all those countries aside from Switzerland when I weighed over 250. There are plenty of fat folk here. The only real issue is the transatlantic flight (or the extender is SO embarassing and it's uncomfortable to have your butt squeezed into a too small seat for 12 hours!).

Like the other said- plenty of time to get fit- cuz you will be doing a TON of walking in Europe.

And enjoy!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Graham, I'm going to England, Belgium, the Netherlands, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, and Germany.

I'm Canadian but live in England and have been to all those countries aside from Switzerland when I weighed over 250. There are plenty of fat folk here. The only real issue is the transatlantic flight (or the extender is SO embarassing and it's uncomfortable to have your butt squeezed into a too small seat for 12 hours!).

Like the other said- plenty of time to get fit- cuz you will be doing a TON of walking in Europe.

And enjoy!

all the countries you mentioned (accept Italy) are used to bigger people. In Italy if you are traveling on the budget and staying in cheap motels, I would mail them and ask if they have beds strong enough to accommodate you
    other then that, no worries