Breastfeeding and Calorie Goal

Options
I am a nursing mom. How do I figure this into what my calorie intake should be in order to lose the weight I want? There's no option for nursing when I created my personal profile. Thoughts?

Replies

• mneverova
    Options
    bump
  • 3boysunder3
    3boysunder3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I had the same problem. I try to stick to the calorie intake set (without considering nursing) but find myself very hungry at times. Nursing can use up to 500 calories!
    I just go over my calories now if I have to and not worry too much...

Maybe create an exercise log entry for nursing to push up your calories a little, as you do need them.

Good luck
    Andrea
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I think there is a 'breasfeeding' in the exercises? For a baby under 6 months it burns about 500cal a day and over 6 months about 250cal a day
  • mneverova
    Options
    Thank you, ladies! I was actually looking for "breastfeeding" in exercising but didnt find anything so decided to post a threa
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Just change your calorie goal and add 500 calories to your daily allowance. It's an easier and more long term workaround than adding it in as exercise every day.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You can start by adding 200-500 calories to what it gives you. From there, it'll be a case of trial and error. If you find yourself not losing after a couple weeks, then it's time to decrease your calories.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is listed as a food with negative calories (so it adds to your allowed calorie intake). There are different calorie amounts listed. I have -300 calories of breastfeeding for breakfast every morning (I have an older baby who is eating 3 solid meals per day). When he was younger I logged -500/day.