28 Years old with 2 kids and needing help!!!!

Hey yall! This is my first official post as a MFP member. I've done all sorts of things through the years to lose weight but I always gain it back pretty quickly once I stop whatever I was doing. I'm looking for some ways to really change my lifestyle and have something that I can really stick with for the rest of my life. I have 2 daughters; Alyssa is 10 and Hannah is 5. Alyssa is already struggling with being chubby at 10 years old and I refuse to let her battle with weight issues like I did. Is there anybody out there that can offer me some advice about the best exercises to do to burn calories? I can't really afford a gym membership and I don't really live near one anyway so I need some ideas of things I can do at home, etc. I am trying to alter all of our eating habits and logging these calories is really helping me to keep an eye on what I'm putting inside my body. I'm a pretty picky eater, so good food ideas would be appreciated as well. Thanks for listening to my rambling!! :)

Replies

• Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    how about family activities like walks, bike rides and playing in the park? all free and you can set a good example to the kids. do they like soft play? if you go in with them, it can be a good workout.
  • iamlaprell
    iamlaprell Posts: 71 Member
    I agree, just get more active. I feel sore after just throwing a football back and forth with my nephew, so something as simple as that can be exercise. Basically just keep them from sitting down in front of the tv after dinner would be a great way to instill good habits in them. I applaud you for involving your kids in this as well, and doing it the right way, teaching them good habits instead of how to crash diet.
  • family bicycling is a great answer. I lost 55 pounds, gained 12 back, and now am losing again. Bicycles are cheap and it burns lots of calories.
  • I'm new to MFP also! I'm excited for you as you start adding healthy living in your life. I have found that the hardest thing is changing my mindset! My mind moves much slower with change than my body does, so I go slow to give it time to adjust. Setting a goal each week (and building on it each week here after) sounds like the way to go because these small things really add up over time!
    A good cheap exercise to do is WALKING. No gym needed, and no excuses. Dancing around your home may be something you can enjoy, either alone or with your kids. Turn up the music and get shakin' I don't have a lot of money but one cheap piece of equipment I purchased was a jump rope. Going up and down the stairs is a good HIIT. Some of my friends use yoga and walking DVDs (and swear by them) but I haven't given them a try yet.
    As far as food, I'm still learning as I go, but whole foods are better for you. So an apple is better than applesauce, applesauce is better than apple juice, etc. I try to cook up meals in advance. Usually on Sundays I pre-cook all my chicken breast for the week. I portion out veggies and brown rice & make sure I have healthy snack choices to grab and go. Laptop Lunches is a site that has awesome lunchboxes in every size imaginable and makes it fun to pack a lunch!
  • Dancing!! Dancing with your kids is so much fun, all you need is some music and speakers. Dance party!
    If you google moves for yourself from things like Zumba and other fitness dance classes! Fun, free, Fantastic!