first pregnancy, started to feel unmotivated... HELP!!.

Options
For the first time in 8 months I'm starting to feel like I'm stuck!! This is my first pregnancy and I guess I didn't think the always being hungry/ tired all day was something I would have affect me right away!! :/ I feel so frustrated and all I hear is, "but you're pregnant!!" Like that means I have 9 months to go crazy eating!!! Its not even that I'm trying to lose weight now, I just wanna stay healthy and not let myself go!!! Lol!! Anyone else ( preggo or not)feeling like this???

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You're pregnant. You're supposed to be "stuck". You're not supposed to be making any progress toward losing weight or whatever. And yeah, pregnant means REALLY tired. Workout when you can. Eat as healthy as possible but make sure you are getting enough calories (maintenance or more at this point).
  • aleatha5
    aleatha5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cheer up, soon you'll be so sick that food will repulse you? Seriously, it is tough. But if you use your bursts of energy to food plan/prepare you can make several fast/easy/freezable solutions. Also, it does get better. I was so sick I lost weight for the first 20 weeks of each pregnancy, but after I started to feel better I found it easy to exercise. I participated in a fit moms program at my local university which motivated me to track my activity AND paid me for my participation. Check around and see if there is anything like that near you.

Congrats on your baby! It is so wonderful.

P.S. Breastfeeding is a great way to lose weight (as long as you don't binge on sugar like I tend to do to get through the no sleep part of being a new mom :( )
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I would worry more about just maintaining at this point - I wouldn't try to lose during pregnancy. My focus would be more on whole foods than losing weight. More organic fruits, veggies, meats, etc.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My first trimester was the worst. I was sick and exhausted all the time. Being exhausted during your first 3 months is totally normal. It will get better, I promise you!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    The first 3 months are the worst! Your energy should pick up later on, just eat healthy work out when you can and enjoy being pregnant!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Switch from weight management goals to healthy eating to give your baby the best start in life, start counting portions from each food group instead of calories.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    You're pregnant. You're supposed to be "stuck". You're not supposed to be making any progress toward losing weight or whatever. And yeah, pregnant means REALLY tired. Workout when you can. Eat as healthy as possible but make sure you are getting enough calories (maintenance or more at this point).

This plus use recovery as motivation. The healthier/more fit you are will make delivery and recovery a breeze! Seriously, I've experienced the night and day difference. Keeping on top of eating whole/healthy foods and keeping up my exercise regimine (approved by my doctor) made the baby weight gain disappear with in 2 weeks of delivery. I was working out again and feeling great by that point as well!
  • jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For the first time in 8 months I'm starting to feel like I'm stuck!! This is my first pregnancy and I guess I didn't think the always being hungry/ tired all day was something I would have affect me right away!! :/ I feel so frustrated and all I hear is, "but you're pregnant!!" Like that means I have 9 months to go crazy eating!!! Its not even that I'm trying to lose weight now, I just wanna stay healthy and not let myself go!!! Lol!! Anyone else ( preggo or not)feeling like this???

I went through the same thing (my little one is 6 months old now)! I upped my calories from 1200 to 1500, but I worked hard my whole pregnancy to stay active. I ran up until 22 weeks. I did crossfit (www.crossfitmom.com), and even with all that hard work, I STILL gained 43 lbs. But the good news is that after I had my baby, it all just melted off and I bounced right back because I was so active. Don't spend your entire 9 months thinking you can't work out or that you get to eat whatever. Still count you calories, still exercise, still be healthy. You can do it and you'll be SO GLAD you did in the end!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

No, pregnancy does not mean 9 months to go crazy eating. It does mean 9 months that you WILL need to consume more than you did before you were pregnant. It does mean that you WILL be very tired quite often. Relax and let your body do what it needs to do. You are growing an actual human being right now. What you can do is keep moving as much as possible, keep exercising, because that WILL make your labor and delivery and recovery easier on you. But don't expect any weight loss. You are going to gain necessary weight.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I counted cals while pregnant, but didn't exercise (dr orders) and I managed to actually lose weight while pregnant. The tiredness will go away in a few months--think of it as preparation. My son is 5 months old and I am more exhausted now than I ever was while pregnan.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You should consult with your doctor to establish a healthy plan for moderate weight gain and use MFP to help control your nutrition. But yeah, your body is going to be super out of whack, so give yourself a break.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    As soon as I found out I was pregnant I left this site and focused on growing 2 healthy babies and gained the recommended 50lbs. Am I thrilled with it? Hell no. What I am thrilled with is the healthy, beautiful baby boy and baby girl I have. They are almost a year old and I am here to take care of me now. Don't worry about weight gain and calories or any of that, there will be plenty of time to lose the weight after the baby is born.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I gained 80 lbs with my first pregnancy and 65 with my second. If I could do it again, I would have counted calories through both the pregnancies. I mistakenly took the advice "you're pregnant, stop dieting" to heart and took it as a license to eat allllll my cravings! I'm not trying to be negative or scare you, I am just the "ghost of pregnancy future". You will have to listen to your body regarding workouts. I really recommend Erin O'Brien's pregnancy fitness video it is so awesome!
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I understand. You wanna be healthy but your body wants you to be otherwise. I don't know if you have already but you should bump up your calories just a little bit. Eat more veggies/fruit and take some walks around the block. Right now I'm doing a cleanse because my eating got out of control and it is kicking my butt.

Good luck and congrats! I LOVED being pregnant (not the same case for most) and truly enjoyed every minute. :happy:
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    First off, Congrats! I've been trying for four years to get pregnant and hope that someday I'll be able to be frustrated with maintaining :)

From what I've heard if you eat the right things then you won't blow up... stay away from high sodium.
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was like that for the first trimester, just take it easy, your body is making a baby.. it's a lot of work. Eat at TDEE and take a walk when you have the energy for it. Thing will get better in the second and 3rd trimester. Like someone else said I was so sick during the 1st trimester that I lost 20 lbs, I stopped working out because I was losing so much weight already, but by the 2nd trimester I was a lot better and starting doing some exercise. I gain back those 20lbs + 8... I gain all my pregnancy weight after giving birth, I was starving all the time when I was breastfeeding.
  • annicins
    Options

No, pregnancy does not mean 9 months to go crazy eating. It does mean 9 months that you WILL need to consume more than you did before you were pregnant. It does mean that you WILL be very tired quite often. Relax and let your body do what it needs to do. You are growing an actual human being right now. What you can do is keep moving as much as possible, keep exercising, because that WILL make your labor and delivery and recovery easier on you. But don't expect any weight loss. You are going to gain necessary weight.

I ate everything I wanted in sight when I was pregnant and I gained 70 lbs! 30 of it came off quickly but the other 40 has taken work! I'm 10.2 lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight. My daughter was born in July. Basically, be healthy, eat good foods, exercise (while discussing it with your doc before you do) and don't eat everything in sight. Just don't try to lose any weight!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Keep up the exercise and eat as healthy as you can! It's going to be tough but it's worth it to have a healthy pregnancy. Those hormones are going to take you for a wild ride :)

Exercise will make your labor easier, and eating too much sugar will make your baby grow fast ... That scared me into eating well because I didn't want to push out a giant kid.

Check out the Fit, Fabulous & Pregnant group on here. Lots of healthy and motivated mommies-to-be who understand exactly what you're going through and will offer great support!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes, I remember how amazed I was at my first pregnancy, how tired I felt. Especially toward the end of pregnancy....which is good. Because it is your signal to use the energy you have to prepare your home.
    Once baby comes, there's a time of healing, a time of nursing lots, interrupted sleep.
    This is not to sound negative. I have had 5, my youngest is 4years old. You can and will survive the fatigue and demand of motherhood, especially early motherhood:)
    The key is to develop and maintain good habits...simple things make a HUGE difference over time....having healthy meals, doing some sort of exercise regularly, brushing your teeth (don't laugh, it's true!!).
    Since fatigue comes with the territory, setting smaller goals and reaching them is important....don't try to do big things and big lists, like you did when you were foot loose and fancy free, as that would only serve to frustrate you and/or make you feel defeated.
    So, go for a walk, eat your vegetables, drink your water, brush your teeth, do your chores...just like you will soon be telling your child(ren) lol!
    Accept this as a time of peace, preparation, more solitude that you have been used to. Rest. Journal if you like. Enjoy!
  • amchha
    amchha Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is my 4th pregnancy. I gained 65 on the first 45 on the second and 80 on the third. Dont be like I was! Now finally on my 4th I am logging my calories, eating healthier than ever and still exerciseing. Try checking out the "fit and pregnant" groups. Everyone is prego or just had a baby and we are all tracking, exercising and keeping each other motivated. It is hard, and it is easier to just give in and eat everything and stop exercising, but you will regret it.
    As most women on there will tell you it was almost impossible to exercise or keep a good eating journal the first 3 month because of tiredness and nausea, but once the 2nd tri hits and you feel better everything gets easier again.
    Hang in there! Congratulations!