Power 90 plateau

Options
I've been doing power 90 for 45 days now... Starting weight was 295 in the 3 weeks I dropped to 285 and now since the last 2 weeks since then I have not lost a lb in fact i gained two. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but it's getting discouraging I lost over 30lbs just by diet so the fact that I'm killing myself working out and I've lost half that is discouragin .... I intake 2000 calories a day and burn about 400i usually end with about 1500-1700, calories after exercise.. I'm 5ft9... Someone help me because I may have lost some inches and I know I gained muscle hut I don't want to be 280 muscular I want to be leaner and smaller..... This sucks

Replies

• meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    muscle does weigh more than fat. Did you do before and after measurements and pictures? that'd be the best way to assess what's really going on.

hopefully some guys with your build will weigh in on this part, but I have heard that sometimes you have to increase your caloric intake to continue to lose weight, especially when you're doing a strength based program.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    "I don't want to be 280 muscular I want to be leaner and smaller"

This is your mistake.

You aren't going to look like a bodybuilder doing Power 90. Keep going and once you've finished do P90X.
  • jtrain252
    jtrain252 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more then fat..... 1lb of muscle is the same as 1lb of fat which is the same as 1lb of feathers its still 1lb.... I can't get more calories I have a hard enough time eating 2000 calories honestly sighhh this sucks.... Well I feel like a football player I'm gaining muscle but my size and weight are the same lol
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but you need to man up, bro. 2000 is nothing! I'm 5 foot 8, 154lbs and easily eat 3000 calories a day. I could eat so much more because

1) I know what I'm doing for nutrition, and
    2) I know what I'm doing for training.

You need to figure out what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. You WILL not look like a bodybuilder UNLESS you eat and train like one. It is impossible to gain bodybuilder-type mass through 2000 calories a day and Power 90.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more then fat..... 1lb of muscle is the same as 1lb of fat which is the same as 1lb of feathers its still 1lb.... I can't get more calories I have a hard enough time eating 2000 calories honestly sighhh this sucks.... Well I feel like a football player I'm gaining muscle but my size and weight are the same lol

Ok but muscle is more dense than fat.

If you didnt take measurements, and you didnt know your bodyfat% you reall dont know if this is a plateau. That said you could always supplement some cardio in there, like a jog or a brisk walk.

I am 5'1 and 127 lbs. Some days I eat 1800 cal when I eat my exercise cal back, and I still lost weight. 2000 is really not that much.
  • Shaylam82
    Shaylam82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey I just started Power 90 and I am on 2000 calories. I'm a nursing mother but I KNOW you really need to eat more. Have you talked to your coach about it? I know BB assigns you one. They should be able to come up with a meal plan for you. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. BTW Im 5'6 and started at 240lbs. I am only on week 2 but I am doing a hybrid and started with 3-4 and will transition to 5-6 after 30-45 days. After week 1 I was down 5 lbs.
  • zenravn
    zenravn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Muscle is denser than fat, meaning, a cubic square inch of muscle will weigh more than a cubic square inch of fat. In the beginning you've (I've) got a lot of fat and a little muscle, as you exercise, you'll lose fat, and gain muscle. By area, you'll lose more fat than you'll gain muscle, but by weight, there will be times when the weight of fat you've lost will be about the same or less than the weight of the muscle you've gained, making it seem like you're plateauing, chances are you're not, and it will pass and you'll keep slimming down. Power 90 will never turn you into a bodybuilder; you will get leaner, but you will build some muscle to help you do those exercises and move on to the 3-4 level, where you will build some more, But at the same time, bigger muscles use more calories to work, so you'll likely slim down even further. Keep it up!
  • rfox1234
    rfox1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the same way when I first started Power 90. I saw all the video show these people dropping ridiculous about of weight. I have been on Power 90 for about 65 days and I have lost a total of 9.4lbs. It took a lot to pull off this weight because every time I dropped some weight it felt like I gain 2lbs back on. However, I was smart enough to do the measurements to see the difference. There is a big difference in the amount of inches that I have lost. I even lost neck inches which I didn't think was that big but my body decided my neck needed to loose weight also. I have dropped down in my inches all over my body. People are starting to notice that I lost weight and my clothes are fitting really loose. Keep at it with the Power 90. It the first work out video that I was able to stick to for this long. I modify the work out to fit my physical abilities until I am strong enough to get to the level at which they do it on Power 90. Example, Push ups. I have a hard time doing floor push ups but to keep up with the video, I do walk push ups. I also practice doing 10+ floor push ups each day until I can get up to 15-20 push ups. Also, I have bad knees and I modify the jumping jacks, the jumping. As Tony Horton say, Go at your own pace. Listen to your Body.

http://fatuation.wordpress.com/