Anyone Have Success With An Anti-Inflammatory Diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who started getting really bad legs (that were inflamed). She's a very holistic kind of person and she went to the doctor and he said it was important that she start taking a certain drug. She refused and went on her way. Things got worse and she ended up not being able to walk. Went back to the doctor and asked if there was anything she could try. He actually recommended picking up the anti-inflammatory diet book. She went on it and well, she's not on it anymore but she walks and gives the diet full credit (not the book, but the diet information her doctor gave her as well).

If you're a regular person I see no need for it. But if you are a person who swells up and it's nothing to do with the fact that you're really active, then I'd recommend talking to your doctor about it.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Muscles "inflame", when you exercise, huh? Sorry, no, they don't.

You are honestly going to say that in public, with all your "certifications" flying?

Look it up, or ask a nutritionist, or an actual physiology expert.

Then, after exhibiting an apalling lack of knowledge on the subject matter, you're going to say "Doubt that it works anyway"?? :

Your take on the subject is completely ill-informed, absolutely incorrect, and potentially harmful to anyone thinking you might know what you're talking about. Read this: (or one of the 20 similar papers available.

Pilon, Brad. "Inflammation Affects Your Ability to Build Muscle." Inflammation Theory | Inflammation, Chronic Inflammation, Muscle Building, Health. Web. 27 Mar. 2011. <http://www.inflammationtheory.com/#2>.

What? Sorry yes, they do. There is plenty of microinflammation occurring at the microscopic level unless you are working low enough intensity for it to be argued you are not exercising at all merely physically active, inflame is not a word I'd choose because it evokes thoughts of symptoms rather than signs but it's clumsy rather than wrong to say that. The Inflammatory response is a continuum from acute microinflammation right up to DOMS and chronic injury.

That Pilon link is not a research paper, it is an podcast. You would get a big fat fail if you presented that as evidence at degree level. Nutritionist is not a controlled term in many countries, there are nutritionists who are educated in their subject to the equivalent of a 17 year old, do you mean registered dietician?
  • connietabler
    connietabler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hippie_spirit
    hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump ... to read later
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I am incorporating anti-inflammatory foods and supplements to my diet along with cutting out gluten.

With minimal exercise, I have lost 12lbs of weight since I started almost three months ago. Slow loss, but my body was so VERY poisoned by gluten, my intestines were SO inflamed... I had to just go slow... and I've had much success and I feel WAY better.

For me gluten was the enemy and incorporating anti-inflammatory foods many of which are also anti-oxidants, has been a win/win for me.

So there you go. Hope that helps.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Muscles "inflame", when you exercise, huh? Sorry, no, they don't.

You are honestly going to say that in public, with all your "certifications" flying?

Look it up, or ask a nutritionist, or an actual physiology expert.

Then, after exhibiting an apalling lack of knowledge on the subject matter, you're going to say "Doubt that it works anyway"?? :

Your take on the subject is completely ill-informed, absolutely incorrect, and potentially harmful to anyone thinking you might know what you're talking about. Read this: (or one of the 20 similar papers available.

Pilon, Brad. "Inflammation Affects Your Ability to Build Muscle." Inflammation Theory | Inflammation, Chronic Inflammation, Muscle Building, Health. Web. 27 Mar. 2011. <http://www.inflammationtheory.com/#2>.

What? Sorry yes, they do. There is plenty of microinflammation occurring at the microscopic level unless you are working low enough intensity for it to be argued you are not exercising at all merely physically active, inflame is not a word I'd choose because it evokes thoughts of symptoms rather than signs but it's clumsy rather than wrong to say that. The Inflammatory response is a continuum from acute microinflammation right up to DOMS and chronic injury.

That Pilon link is not a research paper, it is an podcast. You would get a big fat fail if you presented that as evidence at degree level. Nutritionist is not a controlled term in many countries, there are nutritionists who are educated in their subject to the equivalent of a 17 year old, do you mean registered dietician?

PWNED

The lack of an inflammatory response post-exercise would result in total failure to adapt to exercise.

Ninerbuff was simply pointing out that blocking inflammation would impede exercise performance. The short-term inflammatory response post-exercise utilizes some of the same inflammatory pathways that we see in chronic inflammation associated with obesity and diabetes, but it is regulated to 'turn off' before it becomes problematic.

So MFPers, don't confuse chronic inflammation with the inflammation you experience post-exercise or in relation to an injury or short illness. Inflammation is essential and only becomes an issue when it becomes dysregulated.
  • nekomeishi
    Options
    Nothing but anecdotal, but since I started doing the anti-inflammatory diet and taking anti-inflammatory herbal supplements (started 1 month ago) I have gone from being in constant pain and nearly immobile due to a flaring spinal arthritis condition to being pretty mobile and in much less pain. The drug the doctor had prescribed for me worked ok on the pain and mobility, but cause massive weight gain (affected the kidneys). My condition is not completely gone, but very much improved. I intend to continue on this way - even if I'm not 100% pain free, I'm no longer having to take percocet to drag myself to work - a big plus!
  • jetaylor63
    jetaylor63 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is basically the outline of the anti-inflammatory diet that we give out at the medical clinic I work at. I have seen great benefits from people that have a lot of pain while on this diet. In summary eat more plant based diet, with organic meat and vegetable when possible, and avoid anything processed.

PROTEIN goal: to get sufficient healthy source of protein to supply the amino acids that help to preserve and build muscle, and heal musculoskeletal tissues.
    - for sedentary individuals: 0.8gm/kg
    - when doing aerobic training that is moderate to vigorous: 1.2g/kg lean body weight
    - when weight lifting to make body shaping: 1.4-1.6g/kg
    - while healing from surgery 1-1.2g/kg
    - for healing tendon or ligament from an injury 1.2g/kg of lean weight

- eat protein with each meal and snack
    - limit or eliminate red meat unless it is free-range, grass-fed beef or lamb
    - avoid charring/browning proteins/meats
    - use organic meats or free-grange meat and poultry when possible
    - use free range eggs but avoid browning the eggs
    - avoid lunch meat that have nitrate or nitrites
    - use walnut as protein source for snack and for omega 3 fatty acids
    use mixed nuts and seeds
    - nut butters, soy
    - organic milk products
    - for milk substitutes, you can use soy, rice, almond, or oat milk
    - beans and grains as source of protein and fiber
    - get at lest 1/3 - 1/4 of your daily protein need at breakfast
    - minimize large fish such as tuna and swordfish because of mercury. Avoid farm raised salmon because of PCBs, river trout is usually okay

FAT goal: eat healthy fats and decrease unhealthy fats
    - use coconut oil, canola, or olive oil for cooking
    - make your own salad dressing with 2 parts flax oil, 4 parts extra virgin olive oil, and red wine or basalmic vinegar
    - use sources of omega 3 : flax seed, chia seed, ocean salmon, walnut
    - use a daily supplement of 1-4 g of high EPA/DHA fish oil purified to eliminate mercury, pesticides, etc
    - use dry-roasted or raw nuts
    - eliminate deep fried and breaded fried food
    - avoid all partially hydrogenated oil and trans fats by reading labels
    - decrease saturated fats (ice cream). Try to limit foods that have more than 6-8 grams of fat per serving

CARBOHYDRATE goals: limit non-nutritive carbs and use healthy complex carbs as an energy and vitamin source.
    - have a daily intake of healthy and colorful fruits (berries, pomegranate, apples, pears, and citrus fruits) and veggies for fiber and beneficial phytochemicals to help your body quench free radicals and biotransform (detoxify) toxins
    - eat healthy vegetables (organic when possible)
    - eat other vegetables for their nutrients and fibers
    - eat from the onion family daily
    - consider juicing organic vegetables to improve your intake of phytochemicals
    - limit cookies, cake, scones, muffins, potatoes, starches, sugars, rice, pasta, and breads unless you are training for a long aerobic event or do not have a weight management problem; in that case, use whole and sprouted grains in bread or boiled
    - eat beans for soluble fibers and to limit colon inflammation
    - use a bread that has at least 3-5 grams of protein and fiber per slice
    - use whole grain sources for carbs suc has quinoa, millet, etc
    - use a breakfast cereal that has at leat 8 grams of fiber and 4-10 grams of protein per cup

FOOD ADDITIVES
    - try to avoid artificial coloring and diet beverages with aspartame
    - minimize and avoid food containing ingredients that have MSG or hidden MSG.

STEPS FOR HEALTHIER FOOD CHOICES
    - minimize partiall hydrogenated oil in processed foods ("no trans fats")
    - minimize or avoid eating at fast food restaurants. At restaurants choose butter based toppings on the side, eliminate sour cream and cream based dishes. Choose salads (with oil and vinegar or vinaigrette), vegetables and avoid deep fried entrees.
    - Minimize or avoid deep fried and breaded foods.
    - Minimize sugar and starches
    - increase healthy fruits such as apples and berries
    - try to choose organic fruits and vegetables when your budget and the availability of these items allows.
    - eat protein at every meal
    - try to purchase free-range poultry and meat (if you are not vegetarian)
    - try to choose low-fat, organic dairy products
    - use good multivitamin mineral supplement at meals - minimum of 500mg calcium, magnesium 500 mg, and antioxidants (A,C,E, selenium)
    - try some green tea daily
    - minimize drinks with fructose and corn syrup
    - choose veggie juices such as V8 or an organic version
    -for fruit juice, choose one with a lot of phytonutrients and antioxidants
    - if you are trying to lose weight, limit juices other than veggie juices to 4-6 ounces per day

(sorry I got lazy as I was typing the handout... I left some things out.. let me know if you have more questions).

Thanks for sharing such great information with us!

I've been doing ok following the anti-inflammatory diet provided to me by my doctor and the hives I've been experiencing for about 2 years were pretty much eliminated after about a month. I can't really say that it's done anything for my chronic pain issues but there is still some room for improvement on my diet.

One of the concerns physicians identify in medical journals about dietary recommendations that lack scientific evidence is cost. I've actually found that I've been spending less money on food though so that concern doesn't affect me. I know that the evidence so far is mostly anecdotal (people's stories) but I still feel that it's worthwhile to do for now (for me anyway).

One problem I have run into with limiting nightshade vegetables is that there are tomatoes in a lot of the dishes we prepare. I don't like fresh tomatoes but love pasta sauce, salsa, etc. Has anyone found something that is a good substitute for tomatoes in recipes?
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks for sharing such great information with us!

I've been doing ok following the anti-inflammatory diet provided to me by my doctor and the hives I've been experiencing for about 2 years were pretty much eliminated after about a month. I can't really say that it's done anything for my chronic pain issues but there is still some room for improvement on my diet.

One of the concerns physicians identify in medical journals about dietary recommendations that lack scientific evidence is cost. I've actually found that I've been spending less money on food though so that concern doesn't affect me. I know that the evidence so far is mostly anecdotal (people's stories) but I still feel that it's worthwhile to do for now (for me anyway).

One problem I have run into with limiting nightshade vegetables is that there are tomatoes in a lot of the dishes we prepare. I don't like fresh tomatoes but love pasta sauce, salsa, etc. Has anyone found something that is a good substitute for tomatoes in recipes?
    [/quote]

As far as the hives go, that's how I figured out I have a gluten allergy. Also, I have chronic inflammation and because of that I developed a severe allergy to all NSAIDS as well (ibuprofen, advil, aspirin, etc.)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's broscience but a personal trainer told me that anti-inflammatory drugs block the recruitment of satellite cells need for muscle growth.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's broscience but a personal trainer told me that anti-inflammatory drugs block the recruitment of satellite cells need for muscle growth.

NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs; advil, aspirin, etc.) inhibit a signalling cascade normally involving expression of COX-2 (an enzyme) that in turn increases prostaglandin production (specifically, PGE-2, which is a potent inflammatory mediator). Taking an NSAID blocks the action of COX 2, thereby reducing the level of PGE-2.

Now, since inflammation is a necessary step (yes, sorry to the poster above who rather imperiously stated this to be nonsense, you are incorrect) in tissue healing, remodeling and hypertrophy (muscle growth), in theory reducing inflammation could impede this process. However, it seems at though infrequent use has a minimal effect on overall growth produced by heavy loading, but chronic use may. However, chronic use of NSAIDS has many associated problems and is not encouraged anyway.

Inflammation is a normal physiological process that should not be inhibited without strong cause. I do not encourage occasional athletes to take anti-inflammatories as a matter of course for DOMS because inflammation is there for a reason - to help you heal. The anti-inflammatory diet I think has some use for people who already suffer from chronic inflammatory disease (some neuropathies, IBS, fibromyalgia, etc). For others I see it as having limited utility.

Ref for NSAID use and muscle growth: Sports Med. 2012 Dec 1;42(12):The use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for exercise-induced muscle damage: implications for skeletal muscle development. Schoenfeld BJ.