Delicious Yogurt with less sugar

EasyBakeOven
EasyBakeOven Posts: 29 Member
I am trying to reduce the amount of sugar I eat on a daily basis. I eat one yogurt everyday because I have it in my breakfast smoothie. I am finding that the amount of sugar in my Yoplait light is still throwing my low sugar goals off a bit and was wondering if anyone knows of a great tasting lower sugar yogurt that does not taste like chemicals. The yogurt I eat now is 10 grams of sugar but I would like it to be less, although I like the taste of it.

Replies

• AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    I'm just commenting because I would like to know too. In particular I would need one that does NOT have aspartame in it, as it gives me migraines.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    Any plain, lofat yogurt is a good base. If you are adding fruit anyway, you don't need more sugar or sugar substitute. Use protein powder for sweetening if you think it needs it.
  • EasyBakeOven
    I see what you mean, I put it in my smoothie so it doesn't need all of the extra sugar. I use a protein powder and add frozen strawberries with almond milk. I will try plain yogurt, but I'm not sure if I can eat it as a snack unless I added something to it.
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Have you tried Greek yogurt?? It would probably be amazing in your smoothie! Its a little bit sour but its quite thick and high in protein !
  • whatsasize8
    whatsasize8 Posts: 131 Member
    You'll have to experiment, but I like Oikos plain nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with 1 Tbsp of DaVinci SF vanilla syrup (sweetened with Splenda). Sometimes I'll sweeten it with 6 drops of liquid Stevia french vanilla flavor. If I don't want to use either then I'll put about 20 g of raisins on top (count it as my fruit serving in the a.m.) or 1 Tbsp of a naturally sweetened fruit spread (I don't mix them, I just eat a tiny bit with each bite of yogurt). My 4YO son likes me to mix in 1 tsp of jello-gelatin (he likes cherry & orange) into his Greek yogurt and mix it well, but you don't want the sugar. A 150 g serving has about 6 g sugar, 80 calories, and 15 g protein.

I've also purchased the Light N Fit Greek yogurt cups in the past, but they use sucralose (Splenda) as the sweetener.

Good luck.
  • katiestocke
    katiestocke Posts: 2 Member
    Try Fage greek yogurt 0%. It only has 7 g of sugar and it's natural occuring lactose sugars, no sugars are added.
  • Kroger has a carbmaster yogurt. It has 60 calories and 4g of sugar. It is actually pretty good.
  • EasyBakeOven
    You'll have to experiment, but I like Oikos plain nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with 1 Tbsp of DaVinci SF vanilla syrup (sweetened with Splenda). Sometimes I'll sweeten it with 6 drops of liquid Stevia french vanilla flavor. If I don't want to use either then I'll put about 20 g of raisins on top (count it as my fruit serving in the a.m.) or 1 Tbsp of a naturally sweetened fruit spread (I don't mix them, I just eat a tiny bit with each bite of yogurt). My 4YO son likes me to mix in 1 tsp of jello-gelatin (he likes cherry & orange) into his Greek yogurt and mix it well, but you don't want the sugar. A 150 g serving has about 6 g sugar, 80 calories, and 15 g protein.

I've also purchased the Light N Fit Greek yogurt cups in the past, but they use sucralose (Splenda) as the sweetener.

Good luck.

That sounds like a great suggestions, I have never thought of adding SF syrup to my yogurt for extra taste. I currently buy that syrup and use it strictly in my coffee. That is a great suggestion, I will be experimenting with this soon. I don't have a problem using splenda, but my experience with Light N Fit has been that I can taste the sacrulose and I don't quite care for that taste.
  • EasyBakeOven
    I love the idea of eating a yogurt with only naturally occurring sugar in it, I will go out and buy one of everything mentioned so far. lol
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    fage 0% i sthe lowest I have found. You cant go wrong with it...
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    You can get plain yogurt, cut up some fruit, stir it in, and then let it sit overnight or a day. I buy a goat yogurt whose only two ingredients are literally goat milk and fruit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    Just as a side thought..yogurt (all dairy) has lactose, which is sugar. You can't eliminate lactose (sugar) unless you get lactose-free. I haven't seen that in a yogurt, but it probably exists.

Lactose (milk sugar) is not a bad thing, and you don't really have to count it against your sugar count here. You aren't going to eat so much yogurt that it makes a huge difference.

In my opinion, yogurt is medicinal. I use it for the probiotics and the nutrition. So I buy either lowfat plain or greek plain (again lowfat). Dairy is an excellent source of lots of nutrients like Potassium, Calcium, and in some dairy, Vitamin D. I think it is a nutritional bargain at the price. But to buy anything with added sugar or added artificial sweetener doesn't make sense to me. My carbs are set at about 100g a day on my 1700 cals and I want to control my added sugar. I use yogurt with only frozen fruit, or fruit and nuts.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    I make my own yogurt from skim milk. It is easy, tastes great, and I know exactly what is in it. I use a yogurt maker, but you don't have to--all you really need is a $3 kitchen thermometer and some glass containers. Just heat up a quart or two of skim milk to between 170 and 180 degrees (10-12 minutes on medium heat for one quart), then let cool down to 110 degrees (about 30 minutes on the counter). Stir in 6 oz or so of plain non-fat yogurt with active cultures (my favorite for this is made by Seven Stars Farm), pour into a coverable glass container, and pop it in the yogurt maker. Turn on the yogurt maker for 3 to 4 hours, then turn it off and let it stand overnight. Or if you don't have a yogurt maker, just wrap the glass container in a towel and sit it in a draft-proof place like your unheated oven for 12-16 hours. Then save 6 oz. to make the next batch.