Dinner or Supper?

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
I haven't heard the word supper in a very long time. On MFP, I see it a bit here and there. I notice that those people aren't from the USA (I don't think). LOL. Anyway, I'm curious what you say, and where you're from.

I am from (born and raised) Southern California, and we say dinner.

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Dinner, Best Coast, USA.
  • pixiee88
    Options
    I'm from the north of England, and we call it Tea! :)
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Dinner - but growing up it was supper. I have no idea where/when it turned into dinner. Coastal Alabama.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I use both. I might use supper more...not sure lol.

I'm from MA.
  • trinityrecgirl
    Options
    Most of the time I say dinner (California as well). I have said supper though, it depends on who I am with. Once in a while, it is I am "going to have supper", but going out is always "go out to dinner"
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm from the north of England, and we call it Tea! :)
    ^this. :smile:
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use them both to refer to the last meal of the day even though I know better.

I'm from the south, according to my Grandad and Granny the meals of the day were as follows:

Breakfast
    Dinner
    Supper
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Down South, the three meals were traditionally called breakfast, dinner, and supper. I grew up (in Texas) with breakfast, lunch, and supper. Nowadays it's pretty much breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
  • lynnw24
    lynnw24 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's dinner. I know a few people that still say supper. I teasethem about it all the time!! It's definately dinner.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Dinner...though my parents always said supper. I was raised in NH.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Ohio and growing up it was always "supper." On Sundays, when the big meal was closer to mid-day, we called that "dinner." Now... I think I generally call it dinner, but it's not something I've ever really given thought to. lol
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    dinner! Actually, these days i talk to my cats a lot and i use the term "din-dins"...i need to break that habit.....

born n raised in south jersey
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas & heard supper a lot growing up. Now I call it dinner, not sure why
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    OMG...dinner for sure. For some reason the word "supper" is one of those words that makes me want to kill!!
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I used to live in London so I had Breakfast, lunch, and Dinner.

Now I live in Manchester so I have Breakfast, Dinner, and Tea :) (my bf accused me of going native as I've even taken to calling bread rolls barms)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Dinner... Phoenix Az
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    It's dinner. I know a few people that still say supper. I teasethem about it all the time!! It's definately dinner.
    Do they, in turn, tease you about that "a" where it doesn't belong in definitely? :wink:
  • aadutton
    Options
    i grew up on a farm in nebraska, and "farm people" tend to say "breakfast, dinner, supper". i say "breakfast, lunch, dinner." supper has a bit of hillbilly connotation to me, don't know why. (i can say that since i grew up on a farm... :) )
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm from WI and it's a bubbler. Oh wait. Different argument. It's dinner.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    in WI I have dinner at night. The only time I heard people say supper was at my grandparent's farm in Upper Michigan