sunchips, are they really as healthy as portraid?

Options
I love sunchips but haven't really thought if there was a negative side. When I go to subway I refrain from getting chips usually, but if I do, I like the sunchips. So my question is, are they better or worse than normal chips?

Replies

• sljohn84
    sljohn84 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Id like to know the answer too.. I love sun chips
  • missa0208
    Options
    Bump. I would like to know also !
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    don't know, but next time you're standing in line @ subway read the label?? (not trying to be sarcastic but its really the only way to compare the two choices...)
  • sljohn84
    sljohn84 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Calories 140 Sodium 120 mg
    Total Fat 6 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 19 g
    Polyunsaturated 1 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 4 g Sugars 2 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 2 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 2%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Seems pretty average compared to other chips i think
  • CrimsonBrons
    Options
    Check the nutrition facts on them. While they are 'all natural,' they are not as healthy as you'd think. They have a high fat content for just a few chips. The Mediterranean Snack Company makes really nice lentil-baked chips in a variety of flavors that give you a lot of chips for a few calories and only a few grams of fat.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    No. The loudness of their bags has contributed to hearing loss.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    No. They contain GMO's. You might want to google genetically modified organisms if you don't know what I'm talking about.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    maybe if you eat "a" serving...they are OK....the whole bag, probably not so much
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No. But they're delicious.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    no they're not healthier. they're just better at marketing themselves as healthy. they are damn good though.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    They are still chips..
    Like everything, if you can fit them in, go ahead.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    No. The loudness of their bags has contributed to hearing loss.

I have a co-worker that insists on taking hers out of the bag one by one (she also chews with her mouth open, but that's another story).

I agree. SUPER loud :-)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Sunchips are not healthy. However, they are a (somewhat) healthier alternative than a bag of Ruffles. Likewise, Clif Bars aren't particularly healthy either, but a better choice than a Snickers bar.

It is all relative. If you want a truly healthy side dish or snack, grab an apple with peanut butter or carrots and hummus. At the end of the day, Sunchips are just salty fried corn chips, so it has the whole grain label.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I once compared Sunchips to Doritos, and there wasn't a lot of difference. So I'd say no, they aren't particularly healthy. I do like the taste, though. I'm pretending that "they" stopped making chips, period, which is kind of hard since my husband buys them every week.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I thawt they wer helthee. I feel betraid.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I thawt they wer helthee. I feel betraid.

LOL!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Your overall health isn't going to be any different if you choose Sun Chips over Doritos. They're both junk food. Damn Sun Chips taste great though
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    In my book, chips are chips. But , if you really want to know, the next time you're at Subway, or the grocery store, grab a bag and compare the nutrition label with potato chips.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    It depends on what criteria you are using.

A friend & I were grabbing a snack. I picked up BAKED LAYS, she picked up the same size SUN CHIPS.
    The calories listed on her bag were fewer, but her bag also had 2 servings mine only had one.

Now that I'm more educated I check out other things like artificial ingredients. Satuated fat and Sugar (amazing how much sugar can be in a salty snack.)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    A wiggly square is a healthier shape than a triangle 99% of the time.