Low Sodium No Nitrate Lunch Meat?

ryry_
ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
Hello Everyone!

So I have recently been tracking my sodium intake and found it has been greatly reduced by eating healthy but I would like to reduce it further to consistently eat my RDA. Right now Breakfast and Lunch are high sodium meals for me but I wanted to focus on Lunch Meat. I am currently using the Hormel Natural which has no Nitrates but has over 1,000 MG for two servings (which is how many I use for my sandwiches). Any brands people use that has low sodium and that is also Nitrate free?

Preferred locations would be Wal Mart and Target but would be willing to venture out.

Replies

• gaynorv
    gaynorv Posts: 33 Member
    Hi I'm from the uk so don't know this brand, processed bread though is a big salt food. Have you thought about getting a bread maker and controlling how much salt you put in or even add low salt? I do this at home when I have the time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    My husband is a sandwich eater. He takes one every day to work for his lunch. I started roasting chicken or a small turkey breast on Sunday evenings and using the leftovers for lunch sandwiches because it just seemed easier and cheaper than buying expensive "healthy" lunch meat, that usually still had additives I wans't sure of.

Other than the time to slice the extra meat it doesn't really take any extra time since I'd be preparing something for dinner on Sunday anyway.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Nope. I cook and slice my own meat to avoid the sodium.
    I make bread with half the salt for the same reason. You need some salt in bread to inhibit the yeast.
    Try it without for a laugh. :smile: