Biggest Loser - on last night

Options
124»

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    No person with half a brain expects to be able to lose the same amount of weight in a week that the contestants lose with the trainers.

I wish this were true, but I think a LOT of people are not informed enough to know that what they see on that show is virtually impossible. Healthy people following sustainable diets do not lose 20 pounds in a week. They don't have to dehydrate themselves to sickness before weighing in. they don't have to hit the gym for 8 hours at a stretch. It's sad but... too many people don't understand just how far from reality this show is.
    Maybe if they had an obvious disclaimer at the beginning of the show* that this is not the proven healthy way to long term weight loss, and it has been edited for dramatic purposes, and don't expect these results please see your health care provider if you have trouble getting to a healthy weight... maybe then i could say "ok, well, it's just a TV show for entertainment, no harm, in that". But... people are stupid (sorry). It's true. And people will believe a lot of what is fed to them in the form of infotainment.

(*maybe they do have a disclaimer like that somewhere and I didn't notice it?)
  • Webbygail
    Webbygail Posts: 116
    Options
    They're only losing 20+ LBs because of all the puking LOL.
  • 253down
    253down Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I watched and hated T C went home, but he has continued to loose weight and has done well. I didn't know it came on again tonight, but I will watch, I have picked Sunday morning as my weight in time. The show inspires me :smooched:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    No person with half a brain expects to be able to lose the same amount of weight in a week that the contestants lose with the trainers.

I wish this were true, but I think a LOT of people are not informed enough to know that what they see on that show is virtually impossible. Healthy people following sustainable diets do not lose 20 pounds in a week. They don't have to dehydrate themselves to sickness before weighing in. they don't have to hit the gym for 8 hours at a stretch. It's sad but... too many people don't understand just how far from reality this show is.
    Maybe if they had an obvious disclaimer at the beginning of the show* that this is not the proven healthy way to long term weight loss, and it has been edited for dramatic purposes, and don't expect these results please see your health care provider if you have trouble getting to a healthy weight... maybe then i could say "ok, well, it's just a TV show for entertainment, no harm, in that". But... people are stupid (sorry). It's true. And people will believe a lot of what is fed to them in the form of infotainment.

(*maybe they do have a disclaimer like that somewhere and I didn't notice it?)

I agree. I've seen two threads today started by people worried that they haven't lost any weight in their first week eating sensibly. And I'm sure there will be more and more and more like that over the next several weeks. The Biggest Loser creates unrealistic expectations.
  • NaturalBeauty025
    NaturalBeauty025 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I watched it last night and I love that Jillian is back! Many people may not like Jillian approach BUT it works! I love that she is honest and doesn't accept excuses!!! Its all mental and until they tell themselves they can do what it takes to lose the weight and believe in themselves, then coming on the show is POINTLESS!!! It's all mental!!! They have to change their way of thinking because their way isn't working because they have QUIT all their lives!!! Its hard YES, but when you sign up for this it's nobody to blame but YOURSELF!!!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I watched and I like it. I find it highly motivating, but people have to understand, these people are there to work out. They are working out 7-8 hours a day, meals are set for them.They pull high numbers because they burn a tremendous amount of calories per day. Us "normal" people who work 8 hours a day and get to work out for 1/2 hr -3 hours cannot expect to pull those numbers, no way, no how. They are there for a transformation, so when they do come back to the real world that's where the struggle is, still burning those cals and working out in the little time they can.

I still find the show interesting and motivational and I like Jillian. Yeah she gets flack for her ways but she gets the job done. Just my 2 cents.

Wholeheartedly agree!

I LOVE Jillian, and I kind of wish she was screaming and swearing at me in her DVDs. Could give me a little extra boost! :)
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love me some Jillian, but I'm starting to think she is a bully. Some people really do need a swift kick in the butt (for real), but the whole yelling and cursing at folks is belittling and disgusting. Just because people are overweight and have emotional issues does not mean they are kids (and by the way, you shouldn't talk to children that way either). I know some of the contestants throughout the entire series have been weenies, but the approach of cutting people down in order to prove that "they can do it" would not work for me. It is actually borderline abusive, and even though people are thankful at the end, it doesn't mean the whole exchange is healthy. IJS...

And by the way, although a person who is below the red/yellow line could appear to be the weakest link, they might not actually be. It just means for that particular week, they had the lowest percentage of weight for THEIR team, but not necessarily out of all the contestants. A person might be working their butt off and their body is resisting them (e.g., TOM).
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    Watching it now! So excited to see Jillian back, she's the queen
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    I love me some Jillian, but I'm starting to think she is a bully. Some people really do need a swift kick in the butt (for real), but the whole yelling and cursing at folks is belittling and disgusting.

I totally disagree, Jillian actually cares. She uses tough love to break them, then talk to them and let them understand themselves, which is more important. Just sugar and patting on the back already proved it's not working for them. They need to wake up.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I watch it for entertainment and any tips I can gather. So glad they are focusing on some children. I always record and fast forward through the garbage. Especiallys jillians mouth
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Cursing at someone or patting them on the back when they don't deserve it are not the only options. I do believe that Jillian does care, but her approach this season is a little over the top (at least for what they have shown, and we all know this is heavily edited for entertainment purposes). I would just like to see her chill a little bit and not take it so personally if people that she JUST MET are not performing the way she'd like immediately. I can see why she'd be frustrated if folks are slacking off and bs'ing, but she really does need to calm down and stop blowing up every five minutes. Demonstrate the self-control you want to see in others.
  • livestrong65
    livestrong65 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yeah love to watch it now and then, just to see the amazing weight loss and how their bodies transform. Love to see the 'before and after' amazing how people look totallly different when they take care of themselves. I get motivated to see how I not want to be. I wish there was more info about nutrition, food tips than just the exercise part.

It is entertainment of course, because not many people in real life can afford to work out 3-5 hours a day. If you work out so many hours EVERY SINGLE DAY, eat less, no wonder weight loss goes dramatically down. I admire the people that have to leave and are on their own. Then the real things starts. And most of them do amazingly good!
  • ladioffaith
    Options
    I do not find verbal abuse motivating. If I did, I would have lost weight in high school.
  • hpeful25
    hpeful25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I loved the show! I always feel motivated to lose weight after I watch it. I felt sad bad for TC on Sunday, and then to have Nate leave bummed me out. I can't believe Jeff didn't lose 1 lb-poor guy. I normally cry a couple of times while watching the show, and this Season has not disapointed me yet. I love that they are tackling childhood obesity!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I watched the first hour at the gym. It motivated me for an hour on the elliptical. But I really just don't like Jillian's in your face screaming techniques. Someone doing that to me wouldn't motivate me...it would just tick me off to the point of wanting to punch her! I do love Bob though :) And the other trainer seems nice. I did like that they have the kiddie mascots, too. I think that incorporating youth into the program is a great thing!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    CROSSFIT ATHLETES last night. It was awesome. I spotted Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet (my personal fave). I hope Bob makes the contestants do FRAN again. :)