Barefoot aerobics and ripped skin

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
I do aerobics barefoot, but when I do an hour, I occasionally end up with ripped skin on my big toes and sometimes the balls of my feet. It's just the way I grip the floor that causes it. After the last time about 3 weeks ago, I started wearing socks and shoes. Well, my right pinky toe gets snagged by the inside toe seam which either tears off the nail or nearly dislocates it. I quit wearing shoes and kept on the socks. Now I'm sliding around too much with the socks ending up twisted completely around my feet and I've got to stop and twist them back around.

Is there something I can use on my toes and balls (ha ha) to protect against the skin ripping, but not impede how I move? I thought about athletic tape, but I'm not sure if that's what I want.

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I believe there are some socks out there that have grip on the bottom of them...(http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=socks with grippers&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:socks with grippers) I've never tried them so no clue if they'll work or if they only make the warmer winter ones but it's worth a shot.

Do you go somewhere for your aerobics-if you do, maybe ask the instructor?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I workout at home to dvds.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What sort of surface is the floor? If adding socks won't help, maybe adding a rug or a mat (with an antislip backing so it doesn't slide) would help. Alternatively, you could try to split your workout in half. Do part. Give your feet a bit to recover. Then do the second half later in the day.

I walk/jog 4 miles per day on my treadmill barefoot, but rarely all at once. Somewhere around miles 2-3 my feet feel hot because of the friction from the treadmill belt. At that point I get off for a few minutes or hours or put on socks. If I try to continue without a break or without adding socks, I get blisters. Overtime, my callouses do get stronger, so the amount of time that I can go barefoot increases.

Also make sure your socks fit well. You can get socks without seams that fit snug to your foot for better luck.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Maybe tape your little toe to protect it from the shoe.
  • debbecake
    debbecake Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What about those weird looking running shoes with the 5 toes? Skele-toes or something like that. Anyway, they're lightweight and each little piggy has it's own home so they won't get squished and you don't wear socks.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If you go to a sports equipment store that has dance wear, etc, you can find what my 12 year old daughter calls "toe undies'. There are a few different styles, but they basically just cover the balls of your feet so that the dancer can still do spins and stuff, but gives enough grip so that they can dance without wearing socks/tights. Don't know if that would work, but they are fairly inexpensive (paid about $20 for her last set) to see if they would work for you.
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Check out Yoga Socks.