Muscle Gain to Fat Loss?

Options
I've only been using MFP for a week and I'm finding it really helpful. My goal is to lose 25 pounds. At the moment I'm eating about 1200 calories per day and burning between 400 and 550 calories. I go to Curves every day so I'm doing strength training and cardio, plus I use the Wii and an elliptical trainer at home.
I can feel that I'm gaining muscle and I feel fitter, but I don't feel like I'm losing any fat and my measurements haven't changed.
When can I expect to stop gaining muscle and start losing fat?

Replies

• marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    As long as you are eating enough you should be burning fat. You don't want to lose the muscle. Pound for pound muscle is smaller in size than fat, but a week probably is too soon to see a noticable difference in measurements. I measure myself every 2 months to be sure to see something.
  • Julie837
    Julie837 Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi, I can only say from personal experience that sometimes when you start a new workout routine, especially like strength training, that even though your muscles are getting stronger, you could be retaining fluid for the time being. I found that when I actually wasn't sore anymore in the morning, as in no stiffness either, then the measurements improved. My suggestion is to keep working out and give it time, you'll probably drop a few inches overnight one day and be ecstatic!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With a diet of 1200 calories the chances you are putting on muscle are slim to none. In order to put on muscle you have to be in a caloric surplus. Most likely what you are seeing is water retention in the muscles; muscles tend to hold on to water when begging a new workout regimen which would appear that your muscles might be slightly bigger. This will pass and you will loose that water and should see the fat loss, if any, that may have occurred during that time.

Make sure you are drinking all of your water suggested by MFP and more on the days you workout. Good luck.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It typically takes more than 1 week for measurable changes to start.

Try eating all or most of your exercise calories, too. Eating 1200 cals and burning almost half that means you aren't fueling your body enough for it to "trust" you and let some of the fat go.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Remember, no one gained the weight they want to lose over night. It takes time. You probably won't notice a difference in the first week. You're body is in shock. Also, like mentioned, you need to eat a net of 1200 calories per day. That means you should eat back your exercise calories that you burn so your body had the fuel it needs to lose weight and build muscle. Eat lean protein along with healthy carbs (fruits, veggies, grains) when you eat and you should eat 5-6 small meals per day. You're doing great!
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's all good advice. Just be aware that your body needs food as fuel if you’re using up all your food energy and not putting sufficient back in then your body will store fat for emergencies and eat the muscle. Eat healthy foods in sufficient quantities (small and often) so that your body will use the fat energy because it knows that it will be fed again and sufficiently. Keep up the good work and don’t get to disappointed if it takes a while to see the changes you want.
  • Rhyssa6
    Rhyssa6 Posts: 33
    Options
    A little more info. Although I've only been using MFP for a week I have been exercising for longer than that.
    I started at Curves last August and went for about 3 months but didn't have any weight or measurement loss. I was "kind of" keeping watch on what I was eating but not making any real effort to eat healthy. I started back at Curves 3 times a week about 3 weeks ago and increased to 5 times a week starting last week.
    I eat several small meals a day rather than 3 big meals.
    I've just been looking around the forums and see that I'm supposed to eat my exercise calories too. So the more I exercise the more I'm supposed to eat? That sounds depressing :(
    My major problem is water intake - I simply cannot drink 8 glasses of water per day. I keep a water bottle with me at all times and take sips as often as I can without making myself feel sick. The only other thing I drink is a coffee in themorning and sometimes one at night.. I don't like fizzy drinks at all and I'm not very keen on juice either. The most I manage is usually about 3 glasses of water a day.
    Would I be better off just doing Curves and not doing the Wii or trainer every day?
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    A little more info. Although I've only been using MFP for a week I have been exercising for longer than that.
    I started at Curves last August and went for about 3 months but didn't have any weight or measurement loss. I was "kind of" keeping watch on what I was eating but not making any real effort to eat healthy. I started back at Curves 3 times a week about 3 weeks ago and increased to 5 times a week starting last week.
    I eat several small meals a day rather than 3 big meals.
    I've just been looking around the forums and see that I'm supposed to eat my exercise calories too. So the more I exercise the more I'm supposed to eat? That sounds depressing :(
    My major problem is water intake - I simply cannot drink 8 glasses of water per day. I keep a water bottle with me at all times and take sips as often as I can without making myself feel sick. The only other thing I drink is a coffee in themorning and sometimes one at night.. I don't like fizzy drinks at all and I'm not very keen on juice either. The most I manage is usually about 3 glasses of water a day.
    Would I be better off just doing Curves and not doing the Wii or trainer every day?

Drinking a minimum 8 glasses of water a day is not necessary, it's a perpetuated myth.
    See http://bit.ly/9UmkNb
    So drinking water if you're thirsty is great, drinking water to rehydrate after a workout is great, but forcing 8 glasses of water down your throat is not great, and it's fine if you don't.

Eating your exercise calories may not sound intuitive, but there are some great articles on the science behind it posted as stickies on the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum.