Sock Advice?

Options
Hey Gang!

I have started running/power walking a lot lately and could use a little help here; I am needing moisture wicking socks (as to not get blisters on my jogs) but they are SO expensive. Can anyone tell me where to get reasonably priced socks?
Thanks so much! :)

Replies

• dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    When my wife started to do extensive walking I bought her a few pairs of SmartWool socks. Wool socks in Texas heat initially seemed to be counter-intuitive to her but now she swears by them. As far as the affordable part of your question, check out Sierra Trading Post. I buy a lot of gear there, including socks. If you get on their mailing list you'll get regular notifications of sales on top of their normally cheap prices (they deal mostly in discontinued high quality brands). The Sierra site also has a lot of customer product reviews so you can usually get a good sense of product quality and sizing. But bottom line, if you do (or are planning to do) a fair amount of walking or running do not scrimp on good shoes and good socks. Your feet will thank you for it, you will gain a lot more enjoyment from the activity and tend to stay with it. Happy feet! I've got those hap-hap-happy feet...
  • whiskeyblue22
    Options
    I wear Wright Socks almost exclusively. I am very prone to blistering, especially when I start pumping up my mileage. I check out REI outlet, Amazon and Zappos to compare prices by sock or pack. I love them. I have a few different kinds depending on the weather. Best investment I have ever made outside of proper running shoes. If you wash them properly, the can last a really long time.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Look at Hanes and Champion. Socks rarely go on sale.
    Remember that the color should match the color of your pants or shorts.
  • HelenaMH
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help! Buying some great socks at your advice. :)
  • PhotogirlTX
    PhotogirlTX Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of Smartwool and Sierra Trading Post. Also look into Steep and Cheap. They have great deals about every 20 minutes. I run in Smartwool and Icebreaker all the time. Socks, shirts, pants, etc. Best stuff out there!

Edited because it is Steep and Cheap not Cheap and Steep! :-)
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I buy the Walmart knock off of under armour socks they stay snug forever I love them. I got I think 8 Pairs for $10.00
  • HelenaMH
    Options
    Do the walmart ones have moisture wicking?
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You know, I've bought some at walmart/discount places and they go hard in the washer quick. I've had good success with underarmor, some by nike, and another called "dri-fit." I am currently trying a pair by Cariloha that I got for free during a cruise- they are great but waaaay expensive.

I've found that when I get the more expensive socks they last longer both in time- as in come out the wash really well (nice and soft like when I bought them), AND last longer in marathons/half marathons. I've never had a blister, but then I only run races with wicking socks that are still soft time after time. Normal socks I only use for short runs (3 miles or under).