Resisting urge to binge and skip the gym

Options
So far the food bit is ok, but I am having a hard time motivating myself to hit the gym. I think my bf and i are through :(

Replies

• darthmolly
    darthmolly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You know, maintaining healthy behaviors is always really difficult when you are struggling emotionally. If you have been having a hard time with your relationship or with life in general it could contribute to a whole mess of wellness issues:
    Stress (particularly social stress) impacts the hormonal balance of our bodies, and it can make it easier to put on weight and harder to take it off.
    The Gluten in our brains is important for decision making, and it it is stretched by poor diet or tones of decisions/fights/conflict it can make it easier for us to talk ourselves into bad decisions.
    Depression and sadness can do all sorts of things to our cognition, and people tend to struggle with weight issues at depressing times and in grief.
    The flight or fight response actually slows digestion and metabolism, and that is the response most often sparked in conflict and detachment, like in an unhappy relationship.

When I was in my most recent relationship I put on a lot of weight. I could not figure out why - my habits had not changed at all. After we broke up, without really changing much, I found I just started loosing weight. All the healthy things I was already doing finally started kicking in.

I have some advice: take care of yourself emotionally first and foremost. Ask yourself why you want to binge - what would a binge do for you right now? Are you trying to smother feelings? What would be a healthier way of exploring those feelings, and what would be another way to relieve stress? Seek social contact and social support that will soothe your grieving process, take deep breaths, and find something that you enjoy doing that won't disassociate you from your feelings (I.E. binging or watching T.V.)

This is going to be a sad process, and it is naturally one that takes some time. Let yourself feel those feelings. They are awful, and we want them to stop, but breath through them - remember that this too shall pass - and remind yourself that these are natural feelings considering what you are going through. Get creative, get social, get some fun! Sink into some self pampering, write or find some way to let those feelings manifest in a real way.

Set realistic goals - you do not HAVE to go to the gym if you are sad, this is not a requirement for you to be a worthy, happy, or even healthy person. If that will help, then go, but you could also just give yourself a break - and go for a walk instead, or try a new fun kind of exercise.

Also, never underestimate the power of self awareness and naming. Name those feelings, out loud, one by one as they come to you, and name what that feeling is doing for you. All our feelings, even the painful ones, serve an important function - they are telling you what is going on in your life, and how you are reacting. Is there a pattern with these feelings, and your relationship to food?

This might be a great time to look for patterns in your life, between relationships, food, feelings, reactions, and exploring where they all started. That work, ironically, may be the best work you can do when it comes to developing a healthy realtionship with food, your body, and even weight.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym because it's something to do besides bingeing.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Me too. I worked out but now I'm tired and I want to eat :(. Need a distraction!
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    My relationship is falling apart. We are in the very tortuous stage of "I Don't Know"
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    That sucks, I hope it works out
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    At least take a walk give yourself time to think and grieve. Stay away from food if you can.
  • alaliberte
    Options
    I'm sorry about your relationship...that is a tough one. BUT, invest in yourself and keep yourself busy. Can you take a long walk to clear your head instead of binging? Or, stop at one container of Ben and Jerrys...Only allow yourself one AND--go to the gym the rest of the week!! Set even a goal for binging.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My relationship is falling apart. We are in the very tortuous stage of "I Don't Know"

That's the worst; but, exercise will boost dopamine and make you feel better. You don't have to go to the gym to work out either. I despise the gym! Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Work out your sadness and aggression and if you're gonna have tears, they may as well be from lifting heavy and running til you're out of breath.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're going through this, i know that when my fiance and i have our fights, it's so much easier to just get up and get to the gym. It takes stress out, emotions out, preoccupies my mind and makes me feel loads better. Remember the hardest part if walking out of the house. Once you do that it's in the bag. Feel better and i hope it all works out for you.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FitbeTMF
    Options
    I know I need to go. I will after my next meal....I just feel destructive. Thankfully age and experience have taught me to fight that mood :) I know smoking a cigarette, drinking, and french fries will not help. I will feel worse, and end up in a downward spiral, pissing away all my work.
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    So far the food bit is ok, but I am having a hard time motivating myself to hit the gym. I think my bf and i are through :(

As Michelle Bridges would say - JFDI (Just Freakin Do it)

Don't overthink it, don't over analyse it just do it. I am the queen at convincing myself I'm too tired, to busy blah blah blah to go but ultimately its just me making excuses.

I'm sorry to hear about your relationship...but not going will make you feel worse

Get those endorphins going and you'll feel so much better and it will make you want to keep going!
  • FitbeTMF
    Options
    @Jives
    True. I log my moods before and after the gym in my workout log. Mood is always better leaving
  • FitbeTMF
    Options
    Update. I did NOT go yesterday. I ate 2 lindt chocolate truffles (A victory as far as not binging is concerned...could've done worse) We talked well past midnight. We're not broken up, but agreed that things were rushed and to take a step back. I will go today. I need to clear my mind.