Can't get rid of my baby 'pouch'!!

Options
Hi I have a two-year old daughter and have been working hard to get my figure back pre-baby. I used to have a flat stomach and slim waist. My hips are definitely wider since having baby but don't think I can do anything about that. I am back to my original weight however my stomach doesn't look anything like it used to!!! I have a pouch that won't go away. I watch what I eat and limit carbs (such as pasta, rice, bread etc.) that make you look bloated. I exercise 3 or 4 times a week depending on the weeks by playing basketball (so either training or game), swimming (1 mile per session) and going to the gym where I do 10km on the bike and 3km on the treadmill. Despite all that my pouch is still there!!!! I don't know what else to do and it is so frustrating as I don't to lose more weight, just get my stomach back. HELP!

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    It would help if you opened your food diary. Also, you can't spot reduce a particular part of your body.
  • virgin3_16
    virgin3_16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OK I have opened my diary although I only started updating it again yesterday.
    I guess my problem is that I have lost all the weight I wanted and every part is the right shape except for my stomach!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Like I said above (and many others will say on here) you can't spot reduce. I'm no personal trainer, but doing some sort of strength training might also help out.
  • runfrazierrun
    Options
    feel free to add me. I am doing the same..

I have learned that core strengthening helps because after pregnancy we still has come separation in our ab muscles. :]
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Previous poster is right, you can't spot reduce. However, plank type exercises are great for core work. I would try adding them in to your regime. I would also try to steer away from twisting ab exercises. They can tend to exacerbate the issue for women after having kids.
  • kristanb05
    Options
    This is the biggest thing I'm working on too. I upped my running to get rid of some extra fat around the middle and am back to working on some core strengthening exercises that don't involve crunches that my PT had me doing before getting pregnant with our 3rd. I have a diastsis that I'm working on getting back together, but the actual pooch is only coming off with the combo of cardio and core work that doesn't involve the strain of a crunch. You can add me too!
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This is the biggest thing I'm working on too. I upped my running to get rid of some extra fat around the middle and am back to working on some core strengthening exercises that don't involve crunches that my PT had me doing before getting pregnant with our 3rd. I have a diastsis that I'm working on getting back together, but the actual pooch is only coming off with the combo of cardio and core work that doesn't involve the strain of a crunch. You can add me too!

why are you avoiding crunches? Just curious as I had a baby 2 months ago... Definitely have the ponch still lol But have started a workout dvd that involves different kinds of crunches.
  • kristanb05
    Options
    why are you avoiding crunches? Just curious as I had a baby 2 months ago... Definitely have the ponch still lol But have started a workout dvd that involves different kinds of crunches.

Well, the answer is twofold. I have a significant scoliosis and my back isn't strong enough for things like a normal crunch, or supporting weights on my shoulders for a traditional weighted squat. The second issue, is that I have a diastisis recti (my ab muscles never fully came back together after having baby #3) so by doing a traditional crunch motion, I actually can separate them more rather than bringing them back together. I work on the outer muscles more to help support my back. You can find more info with a quick google search of the Tupler technique.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    planks and speed skaters
  • USMCwifey2007
    Options
    would zumba help with core strengthening? Im dealing with the same issue!!! I was told surgery is the way to go to remove all the excess STRETCHED skin
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yep, you can't spot reduce but doing core training is so good for you, add it in as others have suggested. Weight training is good and although I haven't looked at your diary, it sounds like you have the right idea. Just make sure you avoid sodas and alcohol and drink plenty of water.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Your body will never be the same. . . trust me. :(
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I agree, train the core... planks are awesome. Helped me a lot in that area.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce FAT, it is true, but the smoother and toned the muscle is BENEATH said fat will affect the appearance of what lies over it. I have a double pouch, both above and below my belly button still from having my daughter (when I weighed 290lbs), but when I work hard on my abs, my stomach lifts, the pouch lifts, flattens bit by bit. I'm not sure HOW flat I will ever be able to get my stomach without surgery, but I DO see a difference based on the focus of my muscle training.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Aside from core training and diet you need to give it time. Our body stretched out quite a bit relatively quickly amount of time. It takes time for things to 'go back to normal' and there's a possibility that it will never be the same.

I suggest doing some strength training to help build up muscles and help with the skin's elasticity. Also if you haven't already done so, try cutting out food with preservatives, artificial flavors, and ingredients you can't pronounce. Abs are made in the kitchen.
  • oongiemongie
    Options
    You MAY have loose skin from the pregnancy and if this is the case, their is nothing you can do aside from surgery. I am a nurse and have had alot of experience with this. You can do ab exercises and cardio, cut carbs and everything else but it will not tighten your skin up.
    Once you have reached your ideal body weight and are as "cut" as you can be, if the flabdomen(as I call it) is stll there, a tummy tuck may be your only option if you cannot learn to live with it.
  • x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 kids in 4 years.... last one being 4 months ago. im trying jillians 30 day shred. on day 5 and already lost an inch and a half off my waist and and inch off my chest, hips and butt. and i can now see my c section scar without lifting my belly so the pouch is definitely shrinking.
  • virgin3_16
    virgin3_16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone that's really helpful! My physio (I have a few basketball injuries) explained that my upper abs were very tight as a result of my exercising but that my lower abs were much looser; but as a couple of you mentioned a bit of it is loose skin and it sounds like I can't do anything about it :sad: I will do a lot more core work then and do a check in 6 weeks time to see how things progress...and maybe ultimately I will need a tummy tuck :tongue: