Medifast Users: Questions and concerns.

Options
2»

Replies

• BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My wife and I started this just today and we have tried everything in the past and decided we needed a jump start to really get things going. My shock at how disgusting this food is tasting is very discouraging, and not sure we will stay. I found out today my wife actually threw up here oatmeal today, so she is not real happy either. Ugg why can't healthy food just taste good!!!!!
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    *Head-freakin'-desk!!!*
  • dthompson88
    Options
    I did medifast for a month or two. Lost over 20lbs quick. As soon as I fell off the wagon, I gained it ALL right back. The diet does work, no doubt, but it is so expensive! I have all my medifast meals still handy, but I want to loose weight with eating right and exercising. With gaining weight back so quick, it didn't teach me anything. I went back to my old ways, and not caring. I guess I'm not for it, or against it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you want to lose about 30 lbs. programs like Medifast were designed for the morbidly obese and to be used under medical supervision. Then a marketer got ahold of it....

The morbidly obese need quick weight loss for awhile in order to live, in order to be able to get around. In those cases, the dangers of quick weight loss are overshadowed by the dangers of not being able to get up on your own and having you body systems shut down.

When you are just overweight or mildly obese, the dangers of such programs outweigh the benefits, medically.
  • BubonicTonic
    BubonicTonic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did Medifast last year and I LOVED it. It is not a long-term diet, but it will break your food addiction (mine was sugar), and if you track your food like you do here, you will learn how much you really need to eat. Eating packaged food takes all the decision making out of "dieting", which was really good for me (I don't make the best choices when faced with temptation, lol). I learned so much.

Yes it's restrictive, but you eat so often you're never hungry. You must get your water in, and do your lean and green, and NOT CHEAT, or you won't get the results you desire. The secret is that the weight comes off so fast you stay motivated to keep going to goal. When you're losing 2 pounds a week that's motivating!! I started at 195 pounds in May of 2011 and hit my goal of 140 in November. That's about 10 pounds a month, which is about one size down each month. Yeah, I stayed motivated!! It got really difficult near my goal, and I was so ready to eat regular food, I started to slack off. Once I met my goal and started to transition, the holidays hit, and yeah, I let some different food in. 2012 was about learning to eat real food, and getting more exercise in my new body. I'm still learning. But I never could have gotten over the hump and understood what I really COULD do without Medifast. I highly recommend it, but it's not easy.
  • BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just a follow up to this, we were told we could return anything we didn't like, uhm SO NOT TRUE. You can only return unopened boxes, the opened boxes can be exchanged. They tried telling us oh give it more time and open each box so you know what you like, well if we did that we would be out $600, thankfully my wife read the return policy before listening to the TSFL idiots on the phone. So not happy with them right now, Not a program I would recommend from now not only a taste point of view but also a trust point of view.
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious...if they are selling you "Eggs and oatmeal", why can't you just eat eggs and oatmeal from the store? Every morning I eat a bowl of oatmeal. It's my breakfast. It's not powdered and it tastes good. Instead of paying $600 to someone to serve you powdered imitation oatmeal, why not go to the store and spend $4 on a box of 10 that will keep you full for 3-4 hours?
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Most of the people saying they use Medifast have either said they've tried lots of diets or they are on their second time of using it.
    1. Stop trying diets and start eating healthily there is no permanent quick fix
    2. If it worked so well the first time why would you need to do it again? Obviously nothing has been learnt about food and nutrition!
  • omyfamily
    omyfamily Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The meals are specifically fortified so that you get all of the nutrients and vitamins you need in an extremely colorie-restricted diet. So they really aren't just eggs. They're eggs pumped full of extra protein, fiber, vitamins, etc. (Which you'd notice if you tasted them. The eggs are some of me least favorite meals. :) )
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    When I first started with the germ of an idea of wanting to lose weight, I started with exercise first. Then, two weeks into my gym program, my friend showed me MFP. BEST day of my life. Then, shortly after losing around 20 pounds, I heard from some co-workers about MediFast. I, being someone who wants to lose the weight quickly too, looked into it, but outside of the fact that I'm probably the pickest eater in the world, I realized that eating pre-packaged food was not the right way for me. Losing quickly may sound great, but I also had a huge amount to learn about myself, about what I ate, and about how to take care of myself.

If you're not in danger of dying, taking it slowly isn't always a bad approach. Yes, we all want smaller clothes, we all want to look good, but unless you just gained the weight in the last year, you've been where you're at for a while. A little longer in learning how to control your willpower, how to do things that work for *you*, is hugely beneficial in the long run.

In the end, if you do choose to go with MediFast or anything like it, make sure that you're also understanding the nutrition aspect of the incredible weight loss results. What I can tell you is that the stories I hear about MediFast from work go like this:

Month one: Starts MediFast, talks about cost. Especially if you don't live alone, the rest of the household isn't on it.
    Month four-five: Stops MediFast / falls off wagon (for various reasons: workload, work/life balance, summer fun, other reasons), regains about 20 pounds
    Month eight: Starts MediFast again, loses weight.
    Month ten-eleven: Stops MediFast, see above
    New Year: Starts MediFast again.

MediFast isn't going to be a cure for willpower, so just make sure you a) do your research, b) really understand what's good to eat for *you* and c) understand yourself, your willpower, and your level of determination. From what I can tell, you're still going to have the same struggles as someone else doing something else (be it another diet, or traditional diet/exercise control), but your spurts of weightloss might be bigger. Then again, over the same year, I've lost more weight doing portion control, calorie counting, strength training, exercise than any of my co-workers on MediFast. Did they see bigger numbers in greater chunks? Yep. But I showed a much larger drop in sustained weight loss over the same amount of time.

And good luck!
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I did Medifast a couple of years ago. I did lose weight, but not nearly as quickly as everyone says they do at the beginning. It was frustrating. Some of the food was ok, but I got sick of it pretty quickly. It was much more expensive than just eating quality food. I have actually lost more weight without it than with it; plus, I am changing my eating habits and they are something I can do for life. I feel like I can live my life better off of Medifast (I like to travel and visit friends). As soon as I went off Medifast, I gained weight faster than I ever did before and had a harder time starting to lose weight again.
    I feel stronger eating real food than I did with Medifast; they even don't want you to exercise at the beginning, because they know you won't have the energy. My "coach" also gained all of her weight back unfortunately.

With that being said, for some people they need something like this to lose weight. If you are able to stick with this kind of diet for the entire time and be patient with switching back to normal foods, go for it. Just be aware that if you don't do it right, it can kill your metabolism.
  • omyfamily
    omyfamily Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot here about "it works! I lost weight!" and then "what about AFTER the weight is lost?"

Medifast's official program includes an entire YEAR of supported weight maintenance after you reach your goal weight. This is where a lot of the criticisms people have are addressed: during this stage you learn about portion control, appropriate amounts of protein/carbs/fats, and how to cook/eat/live in the world of real food. You simply cannot think of it (or any weight loss program) as only for weight LOSS. It has to be about weight maintenance, too. Once the weight is lost - which happens incredibly quickly on Medifast - THEN the hard work begins. From where I sit, having lost 37lbs on Medifast and still going, it takes the hard work out of the front-end (instead of counting calories and losing my mind weighing my food I eat my set number of meals and am golden) and lets me breathe easy while the weight falls off. Then, when I get there, I will have my work cut out for myself to maintain maintain maintain. I could see how many people get crazy having easily reached their goal weight and throw discipline and effort out the window at THAT point, then, they yo-yo. In my opinion that's not the Medifast program's fault, it's the person losing the weight thinking they could throw in the towel at that point.

In summary, Medifast works for the weight loss, but more importantly, the have a great maintenance program for when you get to your goal weight that is probably the most important part of all of it - yet no one is talking about that here.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I guess I should update:

I did NOT start medifast. I wanted to though and probably would of if i had the funds, but I don't. So i am doing it the old fashion way. Calorie counting, portion control, and exercising. i STILL stand my grounds on medifast an any other "fad" diet. It'll work if you work it. Of course you will gain all your weight back if you "go back to eating normally." I say to anyone who is looking to start medifast follow through with the plan exactly how it goes and it'll work for you.
  • laurapreble1
    Options
    I've been on Take Shape for Life since early May. I agree with some of the comments, but here's the thing: it's supposed to be a tool to help you lose the weight. It's not supposed to be what you eat for hte rest of your life. And you get more than 800 calories per day. You can eat between 5-7 oz of protein per day, which is a lot (one can of tuna is 5 oz, just so you get an idea.) Yes, you cut out white bread carbs, rice, sweets, etc. The food isn't what you'd pick for a treat, but some of the items are really good (depends on your taste, of course.) The great thing is that you don't have to calculate, figure, etc. My problem in the past is that I had to count points, etc., and could never make it work. This has worked for me. I've lost 20 pounds. I feel good. I don't hurt. I know that I will lose the weight and be able to keep it off. This is worth sacrificing some taste. The best part is that I'm relearning how to eat. I'm choosing different foods. It's not for everyone (what program is?) but I've tried many, and this one works for me.
  • PrincessVashti
    Options
    I did take shape for life and i know someone currently on it. It has not changed so here we go.... I have always been overweight and have a thyroid condition. I tried this, and I did lose all of the weight...However I had health issues that progressed even after I was done with medifast. I discovered I have endometriosis and the high amount of soy made it so much worst than it was. I also felt depressed, constantly hungry, and I now know how to be anorexic and no one will know if I choose to be.
    I regained the weight because I was starving, my body just absorbed every bit of food I gave it, even good stuff in moderation. I did do the maintenance program but I still regained. Medifast did not teach me how to incorporate healthy eating into my daily, very busy life. Medifast did not cover other issues like emotional eating, self respect, etc.. It encouraged me not to exercise and I didn't have the energy any way.
    Currently I am down 50 pounds and I'm doing this on my own. I eat healthy, I exercise, I catch my self when I am tempted to emotionally eat and I take a walk. I also have had to cut sugar way back, even with fruit, because I am hypoglycemic. My health comes before my weight loss. I care more about that than vanity. That has brought great success. If weight loss, or being healthy was as easy as drinking a shake then we would all be thin. Personally, eating real food, exercising, and facing my demons is working a lot better. For the first time in my life I feel confident I will not gain it all back.
  • verongle
    verongle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My cousin uses Medifast (which I don't think is available in the UK or at least not in sunny Yorkshire) and has done for a few years. She has kept off the weight, probably because she is pretty disciplined and also does loads of exercise. She sent me some of her recipes and they're really tasty - although I haven't used the eggs haha! I personally don't really go for these type of diets - I wasn't even looking for one when I found MFP, I just wanted something to track my eating/snacking. I was surprised that I lost almost stone without really trying. The big thing with this diet is the realisation - for myself rather than everyone telling me - of the impact of any type of exercise. So basically I think that as with any diet, go for it, but use it as a tool to reeducate yourself - you do the diet, don't let the diet do all the work, and hopefully take back a bit of control for yourself.