Whey Protein - Before or after a cardio workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    After researching it for a good period of time (over a year), my opinion based on findings I've read is that it doesn't really matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MmeFlutterby
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. I cannot digest protein, I suffer from a rare metabilic disorder called PKU. So I have to take protien in a liquid form - it is disgusting drink that I have 3 times a day, but it prevents me from potential brain damage and even death.
    It has been 'chemically digested' for me. I drink the equivalent of 60g protein a day and my liver can tolerate 12g of normal protein a day - from 'normal' foods.

I cannot eat meat , fish, eggs, nuts, beans, milk, soy , most dairy. An egg has 8g of protein and so is not worth it. A slice of bread is about 2.5g protein. It is tough. So on 72g of (mostly fake) protein a day - is that enough to build muscle tone??

I am losing weight - am size 10/12 but very wobbly - I need to tone up but worry I wont be able to create muscle because of my condition.
    I was thinking of increasing my proein supplement so that I am getting 80g 'protein' through it ... Is that about righ - how much protein does a 'normal' person consume on an average day?

Anyone got any ideas? xxx Thanks in advance.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Protein timing doesn't matter especially with just cardio.

If you want to "lose fat and tone up" I'd suggest heavy weight lifting not cardio and protein shakes.

I am walking 5 days a week for 30-40 mins ....for fresh air....mid-day energy and overall health (lunch hour instead of going to a restaurant or just sitting around) , 3 x 1hr cardio sessions a week(2xTae-Bo 1 x karate), and 3 days of Jillian Michaels Body Revolution that has a combo of weights/squats, cardio and abs....

Heavy lifiting sounds interesting....I just wouldn`t know where to start..... would that help with my last few pounds more than cardio would?

Look into Stronglifts 5 x 5 assuming you have access to free weights at your gym
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Protein timing doesn't matter especially with just cardio.

If you want to "lose fat and tone up" I'd suggest heavy weight lifting not cardio and protein shakes.

I am walking 5 days a week for 30-40 mins ....for fresh air....mid-day energy and overall health (lunch hour instead of going to a restaurant or just sitting around) , 3 x 1hr cardio sessions a week(2xTae-Bo 1 x karate), and 3 days of Jillian Michaels Body Revolution that has a combo of weights/squats, cardio and abs....

Heavy lifiting sounds interesting....I just wouldn`t know where to start..... would that help with my last few pounds more than cardio would?

Look into Stronglifts 5 x 5 assuming you have access to free weights at your gym

Yes, this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Or the book New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. I like the routine of Strong Lifts better but the New Rules book has a lot of good information (in the first half) that women who have never lifted before would benefit from.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. I cannot digest protein, I suffer from a rare metabilic disorder called PKU. So I have to take protien in a liquid form - it is disgusting drink that I have 3 times a day, but it prevents me from potential brain damage and even death.
    It has been 'chemically digested' for me. I drink the equivalent of 60g protein a day and my liver can tolerate 12g of normal protein a day - from 'normal' foods.

I cannot eat meat , fish, eggs, nuts, beans, milk, soy , most dairy. An egg has 8g of protein and so is not worth it. A slice of bread is about 2.5g protein. It is tough. So on 72g of (mostly fake) protein a day - is that enough to build muscle tone??

I am losing weight - am size 10/12 but very wobbly - I need to tone up but worry I wont be able to create muscle because of my condition.
    I was thinking of increasing my proein supplement so that I am getting 80g 'protein' through it ... Is that about righ - how much protein does a 'normal' person consume on an average day?

Anyone got any ideas? xxx Thanks in advance.

1g/lb LBM is a good recommendation for people in a weight training program (there are factors that vary this and I'm generalizing).

But in your case

I would suggest that you consult your doctor before pursuing this, making it clear to him or her that you're looking to up your protein intake without increasing intake of phenylalanine.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would like to go to the gym but that isn't feasible. I usually exercise from home. Can't lifting be done at home? If so, what kind of weights do I need? So far the only 'weight training' I have done is Jillian Michaels 30 day shred with 2 lb weights....lol.... I now own 5 lb weights. Is there any at home programs?
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I would like to go to the gym but that isn't feasible. I usually exercise from home. Can't lifting be done at home? If so, what kind of weights do I need? So far the only 'weight training' I have done is Jillian Michaels 30 day shred with 2 lb weights....lol.... I now own 5 lb weights. Is there any at home programs?

You can do a lot of things using just your bodyweight... You'd be impressed. And it's not second class to weight lifting using dumbells or barbells. It produces different type of athletes once pushed to it's extremes, but I would not say that a gymnast is any less fit than an olympic weight lifter. Plus, it's free and equipment free as well.

You can check www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness for a general idea. The FAQ in there gives a lot of information.

Except if you can routinely do one arm chin ups and push ups, hold a full planche (not a plank... the real deal, feet off the ground) or a flag for a while, you still have years of constant progress in front of you, without ever stepping into a gym. Some nice books if you are into reading a lot, Convict Conditioning is nice (general information is nice, but you will quickly outlevel this). Overcoming Gravity and Building the Gymnastic Body are very in depth volumes, with tons of training routines and tips.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I will check out the website. With the classes I am taking, plus bought a treadmill for my cardio....so if I could do strenght training at home as well then I`'m all set !
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options
    I typically have one right after
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    For cardio have something with Carbs before you start. Then have something with Protein when end it.