Weight Scales - Digital or Manual ?

Options
Pretty annoyed with my Digital Scales at the moment - They are 2kgs out ( I'm 2kgs lighter on them ) .

My clothes weren't telling me I'm the weight the Digi Scales were recording .

I'm wondering if Manual are more truthful consistantly . My Digi Scale is a good brand Salter and weren't cheap . I just don't think I can trust it . grrrrrrrrrrr .

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Neither. Buy a measuring tape and take pictures.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Yeah scales are liars.

But at least the manual ones aren't so touchy, the digital ones are so high maintenance.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have a very cheap 9$7 at Target) manual scale, and I just bought a digital scale. I weigh exactly the same on both, interestingly enough.

I bought the new digital scale only because the manual scale has a really small dial that is hard for my not so young anymore eyes to read even with my glasses on... The digital one has a big lighted read out area.
  • Kailee360
    Options
    I just knew the *kitten* was lying to me .. Friggin' Scales ....:explode:
  • akafn
    akafn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like the digital scales if you are measuring more than weight. I try to ignore the pounds because they are so misleading, but I have a scale that measures body fat % and hydration. I'm more interested in being healthy than reaching a particular number, and it seems like body fat % is more reliable, imo. :smile:
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    i like digital to see the small differences. But manual are probably going to last longer. I use eatsmart digital scale and its only around $25 and accurate as far as i can tell. You can buy it on amazon.com/ca
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    When you find the right one let me know! I have 1 manual one- varies between 1-1/2 stone heavier, 2 digital ones..1 just errors now the other one is usually a whole stone lighter (i do love this one). And also the wii fit board which i think is usually quite accurate +- 4lbs or so.
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My digital scale was fine until recently. I don't know if it's off balance or needs a new battery (my digital kitchen scale becomes difficult to zero when the battery is running low), but it's been super inaccurate lately. I can stand on it 4 different times within a minute or two, and I'll get 4 different readings, with a range of about 5 pounds. I know that's not huge, but when I'm only weighing myself once per week and I'm looking to lose 0.5-1 lb/week, it's frustrating...
  • healthymissh
    healthymissh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a scale doing all that!!! What kind is it? I'm in the market for a scale that works!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale.. I've always prefered them though. Doesnt matter either way I think unless you get a manual and actually take the time to get weights and knowledge to calibrate it.. If you're at least using the same scale the entire time you have an accute measure of how much weight you lose regardless of your 'true' weight :)
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised your scale doesn't work properly: my salter scale is my first set of scales to 'accurately' weigh me in at the same amount as the doctor's scales. Anyhoo, mine's a digital set.

If I were you, I'd just continue using your scales and just accept that you will be within 10% either way weight wise. I don't think ANY set of scales can be truly accurate due to the nature of scales: we go up and down all day, I can be anywhere between a good 2kg radius of my weigh in weight at any point during the day. I know that as long as there's a general downward trend I'm going in the right direction weight wise: I try not to get too hung up on individual weekly weigh ins as they can depend quite a bit on what I ate the night before. (Although I do weigh in the same time every week to try and keep things roughly the same). You can use measurements alongside this to gauge a pretty accurate figure.

Has your set of scales got the 5 year guarantee (I know most salter's come with one)? Might be worth using it to make sure there's nothing wrong with the actual system.