Question for Aldi shoppers.

Options
What is your staple list? I'm going for my first food shopping tomorrow since I joined MFP. Help! Also any good sites where we can find recipes using food we get from Aldi or Save a lot?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple
    I buy my fruits, veggies and some meat from Aldi.

usually the chicken leg quarters

the frozen fruits and frozend veggies.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Lots of Chicken and beef broth, dried beans, salad mixes, pasta sauce, basically anything I would need to throw together a soup or a quick healthy dinner.
  • jdavis36
    jdavis36 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like Aldi too! Think LOW carb. Buy nuts, oats, grains, lean meats - fish, skinless/boneless chicken, fresh fruits and veggies (or frozen) yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs. good recipes are all over google, but I usually cook 1 x per week and cut up all my fresh veggies to snack on all day, cut up a fruit salad (canteloupe, berries, grapes) I cook a bunch of chicken breast on the grill or in the oven and put it on salads, use with a fresh bruschetta topping, put in veggie stri fry. Dip strips of chicken in hot sauce like a chicken wing.....soo many options. Pre planning is key so there is always something ready when you need a snack
  • wood8282
    Options
    aldi's has a lot of stuff in their fit n active brand. we love the cheese rice snacks and i also like the breakfast sandwiches.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, dried fruit, all the produce, string cheese, bagged spinach, coffee, oats, hummus, feta, bacon, frozen tilapia, frozen fruit.
  • DeMimiaf
    DeMimiaf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the comment about the Fit n' Active brand stuff. It's really pretty good!
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I also buy my staples there. I have found I shop less there now only because I get frustrated with their meat selection. Also their fruits dont stay fresh for very long. But I buy a lot of the pantry items.
  • karla0yeah
    Options
    The fit and active brand stuff is really good. I also recently found out their fresh mozzarella is super good too, and the cheapest around (regular price < everyone else's sale price)!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've tried shopping at Aldi's a few times before, but just never clicked. Good luck.
  • try the slim and trim stuff Yum!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I buy the majority of my food from Aldi's. I love the fit and active brand and find it cool that they don't charge more for it. I really haven't had a problem with fruit going bad but partly could between the four of us that live here and my granddaughter that is here lots that we eat it too fast for it to go bad. I personally think fruit from HIliander goes bad faster than Aldi's.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am with you ther jofjltncb6. I don't like Aldi's. I have tried so many times and I just can't do it.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I've tried shopping at Aldi's a few times before, but just never clicked. Good luck.

that's how I am too...there is too much they DON'T carry to warrant my making a stop at yet another store.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you are getting any broths make sure they are low sodium!

But I am with everyone else, I lean more towards the Farmer's market here. They have a bigger selection of fruits and veggies. Each week I try something new from there. I only buy one, if I don't like it I toss it or give it to my neighbor.

And then it is usually Kroger or if I make out to the base the commissary for the other stuff.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

I don't like putting a deposit down to use the cart. I find a destitute looking youngster, and have them haul my stuff around the store and to my car. I would rather the quarter go to a good cause ( I never bring the cart back to the store anyway )
  • MsJenny813
    Options
    some of my staples that i find cheaper at Aldi are fage plain yogurt, fresh mozzarella cheese, some meat produce (I agree, it goes bad faster), frozen chicken and fish filets, flour tortillas (lower in cals compared to other stores and cheaper), pizzelle italian cookie waffers and WATER. I love to buy their 24pk purified for $2.29.
  • MsJenny813
    Options
    oh, and dark chocolate!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I buy these every week - vegetables (lettuce, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, radishes, onions, green onions), fruit (apples), eggs, cheese (especially when they have Dubliner!), almonds, Fage Greek yogurt, green tea, cashews and beef jerky.

Occasionally, I'll buy a dark chocolate bar. My husband likes the Fit and Active yogurt and the fiber bars.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I just went there last night for the first time. They had plenty of healthy options.

This is what I got for myself:

L'oven Fresh - 100% Whole Wheat Bread
    Little Salad Bar - All Natural Spinach
    Specially Selected - Gouda Cheese
    Lunch Mate - Finely Sliced Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
    Season's Choice - Frozen Berry Blend
    Happy Harvest - Canned Mixed Vegetables
    Bananas
    Lunch Buddies - Carrots & Ranch
    Organic Cereal
    Fit 'n Active - Chicken Florentine Alfredo
    Fit 'n Active - Nonfat Yogurt (Various flavors: Strawberry, Blueberry, Strawberry Banana, and Peach)
    Fit 'n Active - 100 Calorie Snacks
    Fit 'n Active - Mango Tropical Beverage
    Fit 'n Active - Strawberry Lemonade Beverage

I got all of this for $25! I love how affordable everything is.