Artificial Sweeteners

Options
Has anyone experienced weight loss problems because of sweeteners? I am on a mission over the next 2 weeks to try eliminating them out of my diet as I believe it may have something to do with how my body feels. Gassy, bloated, upset stomach all the time.

Replies

• Andreinne
    Options
    That's weird....I never had any problems with sugar substitutes....you might want to consider trying out different brands, if you haven't tried that already.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different type?
    I use stevia.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Use natural sweetners like Truvia.
  • parallax693
    Options
    I have not had issues either. i prefer Splenda but use whatever they have when Splenda isn't available. You aren't lactose intolerant by any chance? I am, and those are some of the symptoms. I didn't notice it until later in life. Just a thought.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    How long have you felt this way?
    How long have you been severely restricting your calories? (Assuming your recent diary entries are accurate)
    Do you have an exercise regime ?
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use agave nectar in my coffee or tea. instead of artificial sweeteners and that stops the gasy bloaty feeling. its a little more expensive than splenda but you should try it...its made out natural plant. its good for you.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I believe that certain people aren't meant to eat certain things. I've always been fine with artificial sweeteners, but some don't tolerate it well. Take dairy for example, I feel really bloated and gross after I eat, where others are perfectly fine. Listen to your body and how it reacts to different things. If something makes you feel icky, cut it out.

I'll second trying stevia though. Tbh I think it tastes bitter and leaves a weird after taste, but worth a shot.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I get migraines from artificial sweeteners. I try to avoid them at all costs. Except for Stevia, which I've used for years.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Only certain ones like sorbitol make me gassy. Others no. But everyone reacts differently so try to eliminate the ones that make you feel like crap.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TinaCleg
    Options
    I have given up diet sodas for this reason, they make me feel bad. And I love diet drinks! I use Truvia in my unsweet tea.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use agave nectar in my coffee or tea. instead of artificial sweeteners and that stops the gasy bloaty feeling. its a little more expensive than splenda but you should try it...its made out natural plant. its good for you.

a better choice health wise, but if youre worried about calories beware... a serving has 60 calories
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    yeah I know :( but I don't take a TBSPN I take a tspn :)
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Once I cut them out of my diet I stopped having several different digestive issues. Now, I stay far away. I've had Stevia before with no ill effects but in general just stick to real sugar and keep it in check (most days, lol).
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Try Xylitol. It is a naturally derived sugar alcohol that comes from birch trees. It has only 9 calories per tsp where sugar has 15. It has an added benefit because it's good for your teeth as well, it not only doesn't cause cavities, but it protects your teeth from cavities caused by other foods. It is available in crystal form (looks like sugar) in health food stores and the health food section of big grocery stores.
  • a_crotty
    a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    very interesting opinions but thank you for all of them
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    All sweeteners for stall my weight loss... this has always been the case for me. I can look in my diary and pinpoint anytime I have had it in my coffee or had some crystal light. You may want to avoid it all together.
  • amili045
    Options
    All sweeteners for stall my weight loss... this has always been the case for me. I can look in my diary and pinpoint anytime I have had it in my coffee or had some crystal light. You may want to avoid it all together.

yes! i agree !! i think it has to do with the sweet taste... your brain can't differentiate the difference perhaps from sugar?? they might produce an insulin spike as well.

here read up!:) http://www.livestrong.com/article/477679-insulin-weight-gain-and-artificial-sweeteners/