HELP! Want to start lifting

Options
I want to see what all the hype is about! I don't want to stop running and swimming but from what I've seen I generally like the results more of those stepping out of the weight room compared to those climbing out of the pool.

I know zero about it and don't know where to begin, making it a little awkward waking into my uni weight room not to mention being the only girl. Where do I begin??

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have two suggestions. One would be this book - the New Rules of Lifting for Women.

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

My sister got the book and it shows you how to lift properly and gives you routines to follow.

My other suggestion is to get a trainer. Much more expensive than the book however they should be able to show you how to lift/use equipment and get you into a routine. They can also answer any questions you may have while working out.

I personally love lifting. I hope you enjoy it as well.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    "Body by Science" is a good book also.
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    I have two suggestions. One would be this book - the New Rules of Lifting for Women.

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

^^this. There is a New Rules of Lifting for Women group on MFP as well. Check it out!
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Check out StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. I imagine you're pretty busy with your other sports, so if you want to keep those up and add in a few lifting sessions per week on top, then learn the compounds lifts in 5x5.

New Rules of Lifting for Women is more of a program that you follow; it changes every couple weeks. It all depends on what you're looking for.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised at how many women are actually in the weight room, at my gym we outnumber the guys occasionally. ;)

I second The New Rules of Lifting for Women, I've used it and like it.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    When I first started I got a book called The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises. It has a wide variety of exercises at all levels for each muscle group. It helps you put together full body workouts and practice good form. It also has several workouts in the back of the book that were designed by trainers.

I also did the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I really enjoyed the first 4 phases of this program.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend buying "The New Rules of Lifting For Women". It has sooooo much good information! The workouts get pretty complicated, and a lot of people quit it seems like(I did too), But i think it's good to read. The program for lifting i suggest is Stronglifts 5x5, It's free, and super easy to track.. And it is greeeaaat for begginers!
  • tclarke450
    Options
    Give Crossfit a try. It is the only thing I do and have alot of muscle definition and gone down 3 sizes.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Check out StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. I imagine you're pretty busy with your other sports, so if you want to keep those up and add in a few lifting sessions per week on top, then learn the compounds lifts in 5x5.

New Rules of Lifting for Women is more of a program that you follow; it changes every couple weeks. It all depends on what you're looking for.

I agree with this however I don't thnk I could have started with stronglifts because compound lifts are scary when you're a new lifter! Also I didn't fully understand how much I could actually lift until I started NROLFW. But now I love stronglifts :) Both are great!

Don't be afraid you're the only girl, I'm often the only girl lifting at my gym too. Just go in like you own it and if you have a question ask someone!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I will second (or third, fourth, whatever) the NROL and Stonglifts programs. I started on NROL and moved into Stronglifts. I still find myself incorporating things from NROL to keep it interesting. NR definitely has lots of good information and worth a read for someone starting out.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If you want to lift at home, I recommend the Chalean Extreme program and SelectTech dumbbells. I like the advice she gives for correct form and protecting my back and knees.

However you go about it, make sure you do it safely.
  • jonbobfrog
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women ... I'm on Stage 4 and I love it!

If you decide to try it, message me your email address and I'll send you the excel sheets I made for all the stages. I promise they're sooooo much easier to follow than the book's charts!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I second Stronglifts 5X5.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! so pumped to start this! thx everyone
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! Did all cardio last year and when the snow hit & I couldn't get outside, I had a little slide the last two months of 2012 where I barely did anything and I felt AWFUL. So........ I got a weight bench for Christmas and 140 lbs of weights. I ordered the NROLFW, but it hasn't arrived yet (hopefully by the weekend). I went to youtube and got the basics. Husband used to lift and I have a co-worker who does (another guy), but they've been helpful teaching me what to start with. I'm on day 3 & I am a little sore. Just go for it !!!

Oh, and if you do a search here in the forums, you will find all the info you could ever want on starting out!
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Is The New Rules of Lifting for Women something that can be done at home??
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Is The New Rules of Lifting for Women something that can be done at home??

I am wondering the same...
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I second Stronglifts 5X5.

What exactly is stronglift?