Small meals? Graze? 3 Meals? Whaat

Options
Hey, what is everyone's opinion on what types of meals to eat throughout the day? I hear small meals, grazing, 3 normal meals....what works for you guys?

I am a long distance runner and burn through calories pretty fast. I also have a very active job, so I am sure I am burning calories during the day too. I am only looking to drop 7 lbs. Right now I eat 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and usually a snack between lunch and dinner. I am finding that on my longer work days, I come home starving!!!! I hate that feeling because I either: 1. Eat everything in sight; or 2. Eat normally but feel starving afterwards (then tend to continue to eat). Tonight was one of those nights, I got home and just felt starving. I was tired, cranky, overall feeling drained.

A few months ago, I would eat breakfast at like 8:30, then by 11 be starving. I increased my total protein for breakfast and now I can make it to lunch without feeling starving.

Should I be eating a different snack between lunch and dinner? Maybe something bigger? Any thoughts!! Thanks :)

Replies

• BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    It's whatever works best for you. I eat 6 small meals a day, it works for me.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    eat when you're hungry.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Eat on a timeline that works for you. The rest is so much useless static.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I IF breakfast and eat 5 meals / snacks over the rest of the day. Works great for me
  • runningwild00
    Options
    eat when you're hungry.

I am always hungry!!!!!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    The best thing is whatever work for you.

I had success with no breakfast, small lunch and big diner while eating 6 times a day was just pissing me off. For others, it work better when they eat often. Meat timing has no impact on weight loss when calorie counting
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    whatever works for you

i like my calories later in the day...seems like that is when I am most hungry.
  • runningwild00
    Options
    I am not too concerned about meat timing for calorie counting. I have just found that protein helps me stay fuller.

Maybe I need a more high protein snack for the PMs too....

Thanks everyone!! I might have to experiment more.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you. It's an individual thing. Personally, I eat 5 to 6 times a day. But that's because I don't like to feel hungry. Meal timing doesn't affect your weight loss. Eat in whatever way is comfortable for you.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't effect body composition.

Breakfast and dinner are the same thing for me, and it's had at 6-7PM, followed by dessert. Eating 2000kcal at one meal or twelve - no difference.
  • Brittni__duh
    Brittni__duh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals, sometimes four. Plus a snack or two. I get hungry a lot.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals a day and about 3-4 snacks a day. It's mostly boredom eating but I watch my calories so I can.