Advice on running for a beginner

Options
Hi everyone.

Just wanted some help and advice on running.

I find that running absolutely kills me. After 30 seconds I am so out of breath I have to slow down and I end up giving up :sad:

Does anyone have advice on how I can improve and progress forward?

Thank you

Replies

• TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    Check out the C25K program. This is the couch to 5K program that eases even a couch potato into running.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Also second the Couch to 5K program. It will help ease you into running slowly.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    develop your stamina first, then worry about speed.
    if that means you run at 4 mph, then so be it.....the speed can come later
  • kristanb05
    Options
    I started with C25K as well. Then I lost interest. I did other cardio to build up some stamina, but when I finally got back into running, I started with intervals of walking/jogging. Even if it was slow, at least I was moving.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I third C25k. I think it's a great starting point for beginning runners.

Also, make sure you're not going to fast, and that you're wearing good shoes!
  • Jason67o48
    Options
    Strengthening of the legs and learning to breathe properly while running helped me a lot although I still cant run for more than 10 min straight. Stilll workin on it! I'm sure some real runners would be able to help you here.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yes, C25K program is awesome! Or if you hate the music, just use the pre-set intervals and a timer on your watch and use your own music.

Hit up a good sporting goods store in your area that will properly fit you with quality running shoes. It will save your feet/knees/hips.

Always warm up, cool down, and stretch!
  • sisterofseven
    sisterofseven Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I believe C25K to be one of the best programs but I could never stick to it! For me, I just tried to go a little further each time with a little less walking. Also invest in some good trainers!
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Shoes shoes shoes
    Interval training (Walk run walk run walk run)
    Sprints
    Stretching
    Every day
  • 4Rockstar
    Options
    I was interested in the original post about running and I want to thank you all for the advice I had heard a little bit about the c25K.
    I think I am going to try this. It def can't hurt anything right? Wish me luck!
  • Natashal1975
    Natashal1975 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice.
    I shall be looking into the C25K app.
    Lets hope this is the key for me :wink:
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Shoes shoes shoes
    Interval training (Walk run walk run walk run)
    Sprints
    Stretching
    Every day

Yep. Exactly. Good luck to you and keep with it. It's not as easy as it looks :)
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Start slow! Jog slow for 3 min, walk for 1min. Then slowly increase your speed, length of time jogging until it gets easier.
  • jeannettejones82
    Options
    i have the same problem but don't give up speed walking can be better.:smile:
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    Yes, C25K program is awesome! Or if you hate the music, just use the pre-set intervals and a timer on your watch and use your own music.

Hit up a good sporting goods store in your area that will properly fit you with quality running shoes. It will save your feet/knees/hips.

Always warm up, cool down, and stretch!

Great advice. The app I have for C25K does not have it's own music. I can have my music playing and the app will turn it down and talk over it when giving instructions. The one I use is C25K - 5K Trainer Free by Zen Labs.

Good luck!
  • kerishaye
    Options
    try to clear your mind, i know it sounds stupid but if you try and take your focus off the distance, it's a lot easier!
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Losing weight helps A LOT with running. The extra weight can be hard on your knees, or it is for me. I've used knee straps in the past, they help.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I went from an absolute non-runner to running 6+ miles with c25k. I used the c25kFREE app by Zen Labs - worked great for the training, and you can use your own music playlist if you want. I followed the program exactly, went as slowly as I needed to in order to complete each "assignement", and in nine weeks I was running the 5k distance without stopping.

It works! Almost a year later and I've run 4 5k races (so much fun!), and have increased my speed and distance along the way. It's a great program.
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Research. I read the runners world magazines and they have the best advice for all levels of runners. They helped me find the best free app of the C25K program. I'm up to day 3 week 1 and i feel great.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I remember years ago when I decided I was going to take up running. I could only run for 1-2 minutes tops. I'd recommend the C25k program. You can definitely do this. I'm going to run my first half marathon in May.