For those of you that walk

Options
I am not sure what category to choose when walking. I pull my 3 year old in the wagon and walk pretty fast. I have been putting "mod, walking the dog" but I wonder if I am jipping (sp) myself? I guess that is better then over calcuating...

What do you think?

Replies

• sauntryk
    sauntryk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I want it to be accurate, but then I'd rather jip myself then over calculate for sure, it's better to be pleasantly surprised then disappointed at the end of the week :)
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I just feel like I am burning more due to pulling the extra weight but I guess more is better...
  • SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    Look up calories burned while pushing a stroller... I push my daughter in the stroller while carrying my 10 pound infant so I know how you feel :)
  • jnolen
    jnolen Posts: 6
    Options
    i think you are right on. i know that calories burned from being on my treadmill. so you are doing well!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    skyebows makes a good point, if you are pulling extra weight find out how many calories you would burn if you added your sons weight to yours and then maybe choose the average to be safe.
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what category to choose when walking. I pull my 3 year old in the wagon and walk pretty fast. I have been putting "mod, walking the dog" but I wonder if I am jipping (sp) myself? I guess that is better then over calcuating...
    What do you think?

Do you know how far you go?
    Measure how long it takes you to get there and then you'll have your speed (2.0, 2.5, 3, 3.5) mph
    I know my husband when we were first starting walking though we were booking it, then found out we weren't walking as fast as he thought (we walk a mile walk path that at 4mph should take 15min) it took us 23, lol he was like, oh, I'm not as fit as I thought I was! ;)

Yes you are right that pulling the wagon is adding a few more calories used, but I think it's more resistance/strength training and MFP doesn't calculate those calories lost?
  • jtapp9
    jtapp9 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Time your walk then go to mapmyrun.com and use it to figure the distance. Then figure out your MilesPerHour that you are walking and log appropriately. I would use that number and consider the extra weight as an added bonus :)
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I push an infant and a toddler in a double stoller - I know that has to burn more calories than just walking, but there's not a category for that. I'm considering getting a Heart Rate Monitor to keep track of actual calories burned, but the expense is holding me back. I figure by putting it in for "walking" and not for the extra effort of pushing I am burning a few extra calories to bank for the day without really knowing it - kind of like money in the bank right!
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    In cardio there is the Pushing or pulling stroller with child option :)
  • summersk
    summersk Posts: 59
    Options
    The easiest way to be sure of your speed is to talk your time spent walking in minutes times 60, then divided by the distance of your walk. that should give you a fairly accurate speed for your walk. I feel as though I get jipped because I walk up and down hills when I walk, but there really isn't anyway for me to log that in. Good luck, hope the math works out in your favor. :)
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    In cardio there is the Pushing or pulling stroller with child option :)

I did see that, but then I was confused as to whether that was just the calories burned by the pushing action, or the pushing action and the walking together. If I logged pushing stroller with child do I also log - walking 3.5 mph or is it already included in the calorie breakdown? That is my confusion. I have been only logging the walking and I figure the pushing is just adding a few extra.