what was your "a-HA!" moment?

Options

Replies

• cara523
    cara523 Posts: 116
    Options
    hahaha! I love these stories!! I know they shouldnt make me laugh...this is serious but I cant help it! I guess I am just sooooo excited to be here! Excited to know that we ALL had an a-HA moment and that I am not the only one and that we all are in this together! Love you, my MFP family!!!!! We got this!! No more a-HA moments ever! We had one and that was our last! GO TEAM!!! :)
  • nursemarie162
    Options
    i had a combination "a-ha" moment, first stage was when I looked at some pictures from thanksgiving and was ABSOLUTELY disgusted by the way I looked! The second stage was when I heard an ex-boyfriend told someone we broke up because he was disgusted by my body...huge blow to the self-esteem....and then the third was when my friends made a comment about how beautiful I would be if I was thin....im just sick of feeling ugly in my skin and ready to transform myself into what I've always wanted to be
  • iamkaleigh
    Options
    My "a-HA!" moment was when all of my clothes started to get really snug...and the fact that I wanted to cry whenever I looked in the mirror. I made my decision to lose weight on Dec. 30th and i've lost 3 lbs. so far. :) It's not much, but it's progress!
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I guess when I moved states and the lil bit of clothes I had that weren't in storage were to small. and I didn't want to go up another size and I was TIRED of HOW LAZY I FELT!! and that same week I got on the scale and weighed almost as much as I did when I was pregnant! oh and my husband is taller than me and I weighed morethan him!!!
  • courtneysmummy
    courtneysmummy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Mine has to be the fact I weighed myself and was nearly 15st. Felt really awful about it and the fact I want to be able to do a skydive this year but need. To weigh less than 14st to raise money for Cancer x
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving this year. I watched everyone at my in-laws just mowing through the food and realized that every single last one of them and now me, were obese. Not a fit one among them. It had to stop. It took me a week or so to get up the courage to do it on my own but I did.

Not to mention that my dad who is two states away just ran his third marathon at 62 and my mom, 64 runs a few miles a day and is in fantastic shape. Time for me to learn from them again.
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I weigh more than some of my male friends. And I am 5 foot 4. Also, I do belly dance and had some professional pictures taken at the last show. I have lost the curve of my waist completely. I used to have a n hourglass figure but I now have a really thick waist.
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Great stories ;)
    Mine was boring :p I had around 25 pounds extra all my life. The reasons are that all my jeans became too tight and I look horrible on photos.
  • dan11222
    dan11222 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i was on my kitchen floor with an empty bottle of captain morgans crawling towards the firidge beacuse i knew there was pizza in there..i wish i was joking but at that point i kinda thought yeah maybe time to get healthy lol
    11871746.png
  • princessd84
    princessd84 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A few things prompted me:

My nan's friend thought I was pregnant
    I saw some really unflattering photographs of myself
    I hated myself in everything I wore and could only get clothes to fit me from a few places
    I was very conscious that my bum and belly were in the way of everything - I had to work out how to manouvre myself through gaps!
  • guwisti
    guwisti Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is embarrassing, but I knew I was obese and was in the whole "I'm fine with myself" stage of life. My husband was happy with how I looked, I was comfortable with myself. I knew I needed to lose weight but it just didn't seem possible. Went to Louisville this summer and went to the Slugger Museum. I couldn't fit in the seats to watch the short film when you first go in. I was kinda wedged in there sideways. The most embarrassing moment of my life. I was so utterly humiliated. I decided then something had to be done. Didn't know what. About a month later decided to purchase a treadmill and joined up here. One of my best decisions ever.
  • iluvhockey987
    iluvhockey987 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When my now ex broke up with me a few months ago. I began to realize I needed to focus on me and get myself to a place where I was happy.
  • catsinpajamas
    Options
    I stopped looking in mirrors, a friend said that a new years party was a good enough reason to 'break-diet' and followed that sentiment with, "You're on a diet, too, aren't you?" I wasn't. Then I had a dream that my face was getting so fat that all the recognizable features and bone structure had melted away.

I've lost 55 lbs since then.

Never going back.
  • AlMonkey
    AlMonkey Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I work in a clothing store, and my moment came when i no longer fit into the pants i was selling. And seeing pictures of me sitting from the side... really unattractive backfat...
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    When I had to decide between investing in size 14 clothes or maintain at size twelve. I chose the latter and today I bought size four, fully expecting that it will be my new size.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My jeans were so tight I could barely fit into them anymore. It was either get new jeans or lose weight. I was also very near a weight I had told myself I would never be again. I knew that calorie counting worked for me, but I wanted something that had an app and a website. I found the MFP app, it said, "log onto the website at..." I did and I was instantly hooked.

580 days later, I am an MFP success story and I've logged on every day since the day I found this place.
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Looking at pictures of myself that my friends took at our holiday parties this year. I really didn't like the way I looked and I untagged most of them on Facebook hahaha. But I realized that nobody should be embarrassed about how they look or about their body and in order to change that, I have to change myself :)
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There wasn't one; there were many: the clothing size creeping up, no longer being able to say a certain picture was 'unflattering' because they ALL showed a fat broad, no longer being able to complete hikes on certain trails that I used to be able to do, etc.

The one that sticks in my memory most is, oddly enough, when I was eating something and my dog was looking at me, licking his chops, and I said, "No Danny, this isn't good for dogs.'"

Suddenly a voice in my head was saying, "You know, if it's not good for your dog..."
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Hubby took a photo of me when we were out. I didnt know he took it till we got home. I saw it & cried. Next day was Feb 8th 2012.... I started working out that day.... every day since I have worked out.

I've now gone from 95kg to 61kg in 11 months today. From a size 22 down to a size 12. I can run 10km without needing to stop once, I could barely walk 1km without having to stop because of my back. Now my back is stronger & in less pain. I'll never be able to work again.... back is not cured, just less pain.

I've put 10 years on my life, I look younger than what I am & even ppl I grew up with don't recognize me. I'm fitter than they are & they hate that. That's all the motivation I need to keep it up.

Oh that & the fact I don't even have to try the clothing on in-store. I walk in, see a size 12 & walk out knowing it will fit.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My moment was realizing that I didnt look good in ANYTHING I had in my wardrobe and pants I bought about 2 mths ago gave me the worst muffin top. Also...i would keep gaining and I do NOT want to be that heavy.