Skiing/Snowboarding

Options
So, I do a lot of skiing and snowboarding during the winter, at least I want to do a lot this winter. I just have never been really sure how to accurately track how much exercise I am actually doing. The ski hill I go to is almost an hour away from my house, so when I go I go for a full day. I am just wondering if anyone has any idea the best way to track this. I have thought up a few ways and would like your opinion on each.

1. Wear my HRM and keep it on all day.
2. Wear my HRM and stop it when I am sitting on the chair, eating etc. (And try to remember to turn it on and off).
3. Estimate the time spent actually skiing/snowboarding and log it using the list in MFP.
4. Using a stopwatch to time how long I ski/board (Again remembering to turn it on and off).

What would you do?

Replies

• MerBear1985
    Options
    Anyone?
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I generally estimate the amount of time I spent boarding and how I feel afterwards. If I was on the hill all morning, and my muscles are not sore...I know I was not putting that much into it and should estimate on the lower end. Not to scientific- but I know my body :) If you want accuracy, use your HRM. To me, though..that would take the fun out of it and turn it into a workout instead of just enjoying the snow.
  • Run_Forever
    Run_Forever Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered the same too, I think option 3 would be the best. I started snowboarding last year and its a great workout for sure but its so difficult to figure out how many cals you burned.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I would probably log it based on how much effort I felt like I put forth. Like I know how much calories I generally burn in one of my hard lifting classes or zumba vs what I burn doing a dvd at home or walking around the block. I would guess and then maybe subtract 100-200 calories to be safe. Eat that amount and if you eat the right things then I would say you should feel satisfied, if you are still starving you probably burned more calories than you estimated ? make any sense?
  • MagnaSky
    MagnaSky Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It depends how closely you want track your calories. You could do 2 for one day to establish a baseline, then use it to estimate calories for the other days.