EATING AFTER 9 PM?

So I usually eat an early dinner and naturally im hungry in the evenings. im wondering if its okay to eat a snack at night when i start to feel hungry?
me and my friend have this whole thing where he says i shouldnt eat anything after 9 and i say its about what you eat, not when you eat
thoughts?

Replies

• nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    i would like to know about this too. I have recently told myself that I have to stop eating after 8pm. I used to snack at night would feel gross the next day. I feel much better not eating at night. That said, I have no idea if there is any reason other than personal choice to not eat past a certain time. Anyone?
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    When hungry eat a protein. It's most likely carbs, starches, and fats your friend wants u to avoid.
    I would recommend eating 3-4oz of meat such as fish, chicken, or lean ground turkey.
    U could also do good fats like cottage cheese, non fat plain yogurt, 10 almonds, tbsp of natural peanut butter. Just to name a few.
    See if this satisfies your hunger till bed time.
    Do research online as well just to verify

Good luck.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,462 Member
    I usually go by the "if I have cals left at 9pm. by all means--EAT!"

But, i live by the 24 hour window before I started IF on Thursday.
    Midnight to midnight---once the cals are up, I'm done eating for the day/night.
    Makes it real convenient if you work overnight, like I do.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    meet your macros, calories dont know what time it is
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    because of my work schedule etc i eat very often after 9pm...
    I never had any problems with it...I try to eat good lean food....more protein,less carbs.... but that's all.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Eat whatever/whenever you want as long as it fits your macros

Your body knows no difference between 9 AM and 9 PM or even 3 PM and 3 AM

The whole "Don't eat after 7/8/9 PM thing" is just a BS rumor. Like the moon being made out of cheese.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    I don't eat late because I weigh myself daily in the morning. I noticed that if I eat late my weight tends to be higher in the morning.
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    My doctor told me that eating a small bowl of cereal, a light something, even soup was better than not eating it, and getting up and binging in the middle of the night. It makes sense to me, and I often have some small something an hour before bed, usually with protein. Keeps me satisfied through the night until I have my breakfast smoothie and one granola bar for breakfast.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    For weight loss purposes, meal timing is not important. You could eat 1000 calories and go right to bed at 11PM. Doesn't matter...as long as you stay under your daily calorie allotment.
  • paine016
    paine016 Posts: 77 Member
    I have wondered about this too. Since I usually go to bed at 3 or 4 am, eating nothing past 8 or 9 is out of the question. A trainer once told me, in passing, that one shouldn't eat carbs so late. My SO says it doesn't matter, as long as I'm under my calories, which is my general attitude.

I would not eat an hour or two before going to bed, though.

I have no idea if any of this has any merit, as I've not read any solid articles about it. I'm only going on what I've heard, which doesn't amount to much tbh.
  • It doesn't matter what time you eat as long as you are watching your overall caloric intake for the day. Eat a small snack/meal as you would your others. If you find that you are starving at night consistently you may not be eating enough throughout the day. Ideally you should be around 5-6 small meals a day that are balanced. For backup on the myth from the leading source in Dietetics check out this article: http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442471883#.UOuTl3eZOH8
  • imo it doesnt matter when you eat as long as you keep within your daily caloric intake goal. if you've reached your calories for the day, i suggest eatting a small salad or perhaps some rice cakes as they are low in caloric value. cant go to bed hungry know what i mean? lols
  • Meal timing doesn't matter, eat whenever you like provided your calories are constant.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    If you have the calories then eat feel free to eat. People generally say no because when eating at night some people are prone to over eating. just remember what you eat can affect your sleep too (dairy causes nightmares for some people and caffiene can keep you up to name a few)

-edit- my bad - Sugar (like ice cream) -http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/04/13/10-foods-to-avoid-before-bed/
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    The general rule is that you shouldnt eat past...6 I think it is. But if you are truly hungry pick something that will be satisfying AND healthy.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    dairy causes nightmares for some people

yes...I eat dairy on purpose while going to bed for this very reason
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    I don't think I'd risk it. Haven't any of you seen "Gremlins"?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    I don't think I'd risk it. Haven't any of you seen "Gremlins"?

Phoebe Cates....mmmmmmmmm
    thats what Im talkin bout
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    One of the biggest myths in weight loss. It does not matter if you eat at 9 PM, 3 AM, or 12 PM.

As long as you're in a caloric deficit for the day, you will lose weight.

The only reason why the myth is perpetuated because if you don't eat past a certain time, you'll probably take in slightly less calories for the day as a result of eating habits and snacks.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Eat whenever you like as long as it works in your calorie and macro goals. I regularly eat 800-1000cal after 9pm. I eat late dinners, and then I have a carb snack right before bed, which helps me sleep.