Weighing...

Options
Ok here is my issue. I have been weighing using my Wii, a digital bathroom scale, and occasionally a regular scale. They are ALL different. Not drastically but, I would like to know my exact weight. I DO like to use at least two different scales just to be sure, though. For example, the Wii currently says I weigh 184.9. The digital scale says 188.2 and the regular scales says about 183. Which one is likely the most accurate? I am not sure that I trust the Wii! And I do use the little connectors on the bottom for the carpet, and I always weigh on a hard surface with the others. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Replies

• princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Ok here is my issue. I have been weighing using my Wii, a digital bathroom scale, and occasionally a regular scale. They are ALL different. Not drastically but, I would like to know my exact weight. I DO like to use at least two different scales just to be sure, though. For example, the Wii currently says I weigh 184.9. The digital scale says 188.2 and the regular scales says about 183. Which one is likely the most accurate? I am not sure that I trust the Wii! And I do use the little connectors on the bottom for the carpet, and I always weigh on a hard surface with the others. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

I can't offer a whole lot of advice, but do you have a large solid object (a huge wood cutting board?) or something similar you can put the Wii scale on to get your weight (something hard, flat, smooth and stable)? I would avg all three weights for your best bet :) 185.3
    Sorry I couldn't help more. :)
  • crystal986
    Options
    That's probably a good idea, to at least take an average to get a better idea. I definitely LIKE the weight I get from the regular scale best =P And actually, that one is closest to the weight that I get when I go to the doctor. So maybe the regular scale is right =)
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    Yeah, you can use something that you know the exact weight of (a 5lb bag of potatoes, or a hand weight or something) and see which scales measures the closest.
  • kaylada89
    kaylada89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there was a post about this when i started. The Wii rounds your weight up. so i woulnt advise using that
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can use something that you know the exact weight of (a 5lb bag of potatoes, or a hand weight or something) and see which scales measures the closest.

That is a good idea...I am going to do that tonight...I have always questioned the accuracy of scales.
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    My Wii has always been off it thinks I weight about 5-10lbs less then I do. I would say the most accurate is going probably to be the digital scale...
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I've heard the Wii is the most accurate consumer scale out there. OTOH, my two Tanitas have always been very consistent and that's really what matters.

Because it really doesn't matter which one is the "right" weight as long as you just use one scale and that scale is consistent. What you want to measure is how much you've lost compared to where you started and what your body fat percentage is and also what size clothes you fit into and your measurements. If one scale says 185 and one says 184 that isn't going to change how your clothes fit.

Let's put this way, last summer I was heavily into triathlon training. I had a body fat percentage of around 15% and was in a size 2 comfortably, sometimes a zero. My weight on the scale was 115. Then I got injured and the triathlon off-season came around. My exercise was cut drastically for a few months. In that time, my body fat percentage went up 18%, my pants got a little tight and my waist and hips gained an inch. My weight on the scale? 115.

The weight on the scale is a very gross measure of what's going on with your weight loss.
  • cruisegirl
    cruisegirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How about going to your family physician for just a weigh in. Right before you go, weigh yourself on all the scales in your house. Then when you get back from the doctor, weigh yourself on each scale and see which one is closest. Then use that one and don't pay attention to the others.