How long between strength training?

Options
For you fitness experts I have a big question. How long should I wait between work outs. I worked my chest and arms on Saturday and had a good work out full reps at my weight. I tried the same work out again tonight (Monday) and couldn't get through my first set at my weight, I had to drop it 10 lbs and then another 10 to finish my 4th set. My soreness was gone by the time I got to the gym but I thought I would be ok. I also had a lower than normal caloric intake today and I didn't start my work out until 7:30pm where as My Saturday workout was earlier in the day after drinking a protein shake. I know there are a lot of factors here but typically my weekday workouts will be in the evening so I am hoping there is an obvious answer here.

Replies

• es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert at all, but my trainer generally has me do a slightly different workout when I only have one day of rest in between (this is also good because it allows me to cover many different muscle groups). So for example, we will do deadlifts and push-ups on Monday and squats and shoulder presses on Wednesday.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm interested in knowing this as well!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Generally depends on how advanced you are. Beginners, usually taking a day off between is sufficient. That's what I'm doing about a year in.

As far as your issue goes, lack of rest (sleep), lack of food, etc can definitely affect your lifts.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Generally depends on how advanced you are. Beginners, usually taking a day off between is sufficient. That's what I'm doing about a year in.

As far as your issue goes, lack of rest (sleep), lack of food, etc can definitely affect your lifts.

me too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Typically my Monday and Thursday workouts are the same (body parts, anyway) and my Tuesday and Friday are the same. So I guess my answer is 3 days?
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Yep, same here.

Also another possible variable: Hydration can make a big difference. If you aren't well hydrated your strength can drop significantly.
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You should wait at least a day in between because how it works is that your muscle tears slightly and then heals itself to get bigger. So every other day is great!
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Look up Dual-Factor Theory. You can workout the same body part every day (or multiple times per day), but you need to work in a sub-maximal range when you do. Many good beginner programs such as Starting Strength, have you squatting 3x a week.

You can manipulate 3 main variables:

Intensity - How much weight you lift (usually compared to your max)
    Frequency - How often you lift
    Total Volume - How many times you perform a lift (sets x reps at a given intensity)

Another minor factor is how long you rest between sets, a workout where you are failing reps in the later sets can often be fixed by simply increasing your rest time from say 1 minute to 3 or 5 minutes (or more for serious powerlifters).

So what this all means is that you can't work "all-out" for a given body part/movement/exercise every day. But if you have a fairly "easy" workout, you can get by with lifting twice a day! As you increase one variable, you decrease one or both of the others.

For people interested in primarily "strength" training (really getting stronger), the more frequent sub-maximal workouts will help you get there much faster, as most of the early strength gains actually come from increasing the ability of your nervous system, not getting bigger. (This is also one major way you can get stronger while also losing weight and eating at a caloric deficit.) Many people think lifting is all about building muscle, but it's actually a skill that must be developed, just like pitching a baseball. If your diet is good (adequate protein, fat & total calories), you will happen to build muscle also, which is a nice side-effect.

If you are interested in making your own workout program, look up "Prilephin's Chart" or "Prilephin's Table". While originaly developed for Olympic lifting, it really shows the optimal sets/reps/intensity for lifting. Here's one good link among many: http://www.texaspowerscene.com/articles/powerlifting/prilephin.html This chart was developed from Eastern Bloc research, and is not just bro-science.

If you are not ready to do your own programming, go with either Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.

(Other factors that can influence overall recovery are diet, stress, sleep, other activities, etc.)

I hope this helps.
  • Rocksteady58
    Options
    keithjleslie,
    I also am no expert but am willing to share my 2cents worth. I can tell by what you've written that you've identified a couple of key things that will affect your workout.
    1. Time of day,
    2. Dietary intake.

Everyone's body is different and you'll have to find what time of day is your 'zone' to work out it. I believe you'll also find that if you're consistent with that time of day, you're workouts will improve.

But to quickly address the 'how long between days?', I agree with DopeItUp in that it depends on whether you're a beginner or intermediate. It also depends on if you're bodybuilding or weightlifting. The difference being that bodybuilding is more about sculpting the body, and strength training (weight lifting) is about lifting more weight. A lot of bodybuilding programs have you working 3 days a week, with a day of cardio in between days that you weight train and one day of rest during a week’s time.

Mr. Williams REALLY breaks it down. Great info!!

One of 8 times Mr. Olympia Champion, Lee Haney's favorite sayings is 'It's the quality of the movement, not the quantity of the weight that counts'.
    Keep training and take notes. I’m sure you’ll hit your rhythm.
    Hope this helps.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I could go every other day and repeat the same lifts. Now that I am a bit older (understatement), I need more time. I can get back in there and lift again with only one day rest, but I am dragging my feet and loathing the session.
    But then, I usually do something fairly strenuous on my non-lifting days.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There are many theories , but one constant. Muscles grow when they rest not when they are worked. I have read the best results usually come from 4-5 days between muscle groups . I do legs and abs, delts and arms and chest and abs mixed with cardio on the same days or alternate days. Sunday was arm day and it wont come along again until Thurs. You run the risk of possible overtraining when continuously hammering a specific muscle group. A good rule of thumb is if you are still sore you have not recovered and should not train that muscle group. Time is your friend. Also make sure you are meeting your macros and getting plenty of rest, muscles GROW when they rest.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert and there is a lot of information out there on this, but to simplify it depends on how intense you are working out and how quickly your body recovers. I'm not surprised though that Saturday to Monday was not enough rest for your chest. In very broad strokes you'll see lifting routines divided into two basic ways (and this is really simplifying): (1) fully body or upper/lower body workouts, in which case you'll see these usually recommended to be done 3 days a week, and if split between upper and lower body then 2 days upper and 1 day lower per week and (2) body part splits, which usually are anywhere from 4 to 6 days per week (for example: Monday: chest, Tuesday: shoulders, Wednesday: legs, Thursday: back and traps, Friday: arms and core). The body part split gives each part a full week to recover but also allow you to zero in on each muscle group. Generally (and again GENERALLY) you see it recommended that beginners go with (1) and intermediate and advanced lifters go with (2). That said, plenty of people will rotate these. I use (2) but still need a full week off with complete rest from lifting every 6 to 8 weeks and do mix in fully body.
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    @Rocksteady58 - You are certainly correct about bodybuilding being a different beast. Many bodybuilders subscribe to Single Factor (Supercompensation) Theory. Here you workout a body part completely to failure, and then give it complete rest before working it out again. (Usually a week of rest, so you work out each body part once a week). You also work in higher rep ranges and go for the "burn" or "pump". This kind of training can be effective as well, but it is an exception. It also does not build strength as effectively.

I can't think of any other sport where you would only train something, practice, once a week. (I only run sprints once a week, but to failure, I only practice my jump shot once a week, but I do it to failure) -- Well maybe golf is only practiced once a week, but most people suck at it. :happy: (Disclosure - I am NOT a golfer, if you are a great golfer who has only ever golfed once a week your entire life - a natural - please do not take offense.)

My personal opinion is to build a strength base first, and then work on hypertrophy if that is your ultimate goal.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is to build a strength base first, and then work on hypertrophy if that is your ultimate goal.
    [/quote]

I agree 100% with this statement
  • TanselJones
    TanselJones Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    General rule is at least 48 hours between working a body part. When you work a body part, it will grow anywhere from 36 to 48 hours. So there's no need to work it any more often than that for two reasons. If you don't give your muscles enough rest they won't grow. After 48 hours or rest, your body part will be prime to grow again. If you want to be absolutely sure your body is always growing, work your muscle a day or two apart no more than 3 times a week. May not need to work the body part that much and there are a lot of other factors that go into it, but that is the general maximum.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options

I also agree with this!
  • keithjleslie
    keithjleslie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great Response! Thank you very much I will look into all of these things.
  • notenef
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to write this. Very informative.