Who eats whole food plant based?

Options
I heard that the more plant based whole food a person can eat, the less likely that person will have health problems such as heart disease. Does anyone here do that? How do I get started? Do you juice first? Any good recipes for starters?

Replies

• liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Not eating anything animal derived can drastically lower your risk for many types of cancers and diseases. Here, go to this site, I'm sure it'll help.

http://www.vegankit.com/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Anytime someone replaces processed foods, fast foods, transfats and consumes fresh vegetables, fruit, lean protein will probably be living a healthier lifestyle or trying to adopt one, probably be more educated, higher income level or potentially, active in 1 or more sports, probably doesn't smoke etc. This demographic will always outpace the standard American diet.
  • liittlesparrow
    Options
    Not eating anything animal derived can drastically lower your risk for many types of cancers and diseases. Here, go to this site, I'm sure it'll help.

http://www.vegankit.com/

Breathing can cause cancer.

I'm not really sure of your point. Although I'm thinking you're making fun of me, which is pretty mature for someone who is 32 years old. If you don't agree with a vegan diet, fine, but no need to make fun of someone for it. Makes you seem like a d-bag, really.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yes there are a lot of veg. folks here we even have our own little section. But that doesn't keep the hostiles^ out....
  • liittlesparrow
    Options
    Yes there are a lot of veg. folks here we even have our own little section. But that doesn't keep the hostiles^ out....

I see :/
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Joooooin us!!! :D
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm heading the vegan direction but I am trying to also reduce "processed" at the same time. I' m behaving near vegetarian I think because I do use eggs and a little bit of goat cheese... the cheese was a gift.

Trying to recreate dishes that have the taste and feel of meat products are usually at a high price ESPECIALLY when I refuse to eat ALL soy products and many other oils. For now my budget allows me eggs plus plant based plus what ever else is given to me that's not on my "no no" list and its working. I did cut out MSG recently.
  • leahestey
    leahestey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I guess that person will be holding their breath! If people just watch "Vegucated" or any other documentary on our food, they'll see how bad our food has gotten. The average American diet is made up of artificial foods that tastes like real food but also has addictive stuff in it such as fat, sugar, and salt, never mind the MSG.
  • leahestey
    leahestey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh BTW, thanks for the website! It was VERY helpful. I didn't look at honey as a animal product because they are BUGS! I don't normally eat honey but I'll have to think hard about that one! lol
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Tons of information out there on this

Watch Forks Over Knives, and the websites of the Drs who are associated withthe movie. I personally follow Dr McDougalls advice and have never felt better!
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I started eating a plant based, whole foods diet in March after having some health issues and stumbling upong Forks Overs Knives, and a couple of other things promoting a plant based diet. Best decision I have ever made in my life. Since then, I have lost 115 pounds and I literally feel like a new person. Within two weeks of switching, even though I was still VERY overweight, my energy level went through the roof. There are a lot of websites out there that can help. The Engine 2 Diet has a great one, and Happy Herbivore. There are tips and recipes for plant based eating. It can seem a little overwhelming at first, because most of us have to relearn how shop and prepare meals, but it pays off. I am never hungry, and I absolutely love the meals that I am eating.
  • Jill3lizabeth
    Options
    I'm just starting to read on this concept (as of yesterday), so it's all new to me. Trying to figure out the do's and don'ts and how to get my family on board. We have always been big meat eaters. We recognize we need to change something in our diet. I told them last night that I was going to eliminate processed food, increase vegetables, and for me eliminate meat (but that I would still prepare it for them). I am a bit overwhelmed. Please tell me, am I on the right track??? The last thing I wish to do is set the ground rules and discover I had them all wrong and have to go back and change them. Jill
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to read on this concept (as of yesterday), so it's all new to me. Trying to figure out the do's and don'ts and how to get my family on board. We have always been big meat eaters. We recognize we need to change something in our diet. I told them last night that I was going to eliminate processed food, increase vegetables, and for me eliminate meat (but that I would still prepare it for them). I am a bit overwhelmed. Please tell me, am I on the right track??? The last thing I wish to do is set the ground rules and discover I had them all wrong and have to go back and change them. Jill

when I started this years ago by going vegetarian my family were all still eating meat. I armed myself with a lot of really good recipes and made non-meat whole food meals for dinners for everyone. Some things were a hit, some a miss, but I kept at it. Now almost 5 years later, my husband, 10 yr old daughter and 5 yr old daughter are all vegetarian. The only one not 100% on board is my 5 yr old son (twins) he still loves his chicken nuggets, but is still eating 99% veggie because I make the food lol.
    It does not have to be an overnight change, make it gradual, slowly eliminate processed stuff and have fun trying new recipes. If they are old enough watch Forks over Knives together. Try to make the meals fun...we look at it like an adventure, trying one of moms new concoctions....and it works for us. My kids all ate kale..and loved it! :)
    Feel free to add me or ask questions, I am more than happy to try to help!