Meals that can easily be made vegetarian

Options
I am the primary cook for my family. My husband is def a meat eater, and while he doesn't mind an occasional meat free meal, he wants meat.

So I can avoid cooking 2 separate meals every. single. night. I would like to hear some ideas about what meals I can do that can easily be made vegetarian for me (Obviously I'm a relatively new vegetarian...though I've been *mostly* for a long time).

So far I've got:
Spaghetti
Tacos
Burritos
Breakfast-for-dinner

Thoughts? Suggestions?? Thanks!!

Replies

• fattypattybinger
    Options
    I have made chili with any kind of soy protein. Actually one time my Dad was visiting who said he would never eat anything vegeterian ate chili I made that had Soy Crumbles in it and he ate 3 bowls. He told me it was the best he ever had. My Mom laughed she knew what I did.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Soups never go wrong with that. Sloppy Joes with Soy Protein, Bok Choy Stir fry. Beans and rice.
  • alexie97
    alexie97 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i've been vegetarian for almost a year now and my family does this thing were each kid has to make a meal at least once a week so i cook for my mom and brother who are both meat eaters :)
    you could try:
    -stir fry (add shrimp,beef,chicken or tofu)
    -hamburgers (get soy or veggie patties for yourself)
    -salads
    -lasagna

http://www.theveggietable.com/blog/more/adaptable/vegetarian-recipes/
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    What I do is make what ever and my fiance makes his meat to go along with it. Just make what ever you want, and ask what meat he wants with it. It's not hard. You don't have to cook the meat IN everything..
  • Taem2
    Taem2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
  • DonnaB533
    DonnaB533 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been a vegetarian for 5 years now, so this has been a struggle for me too. She is also allergic to peanuts and doesn't like eggs. She does love beans, so I just skip the meat for her and add beans. Like with chili. I will make it without the meat, set some aside for her, then add meat for the rest of the family. There are lots of soups you can make with veggie stock. Half veggie, half meat pizza. Paninis with tomato, mozzerella and garlic hummus. Stir fry. Veggie burgers. Subs. Veggie lasagna. Bean and rice enchiladas. Good luck!:smile:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Egg plant Lasana
  • thatonegirlamy
    Options
    Thanks everyone, especially for the websites! :)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Everything you make with meat can be made vegetarian and even vegan if you are not afraid to be creative. If you need somewhere to start:
    Foul: soy is usually good here
    Beef/red meat: seitan
    For more delicate dishes: mushrooms
    You can also use legumes and nuts. If you want your meat substitutes (or veggies) to be smokey you can use a stovetop smoker or liquid smoke. I also use a grill pan quite a bit.

ETA: website http://www.theppk.com/ I'm so glad I live with a fellow veg.! To tell you the truth having meat in the house would be a deal breaker for me, but at the very least meat eaters should have to prepare their own meat (in their own pans).
  • Polish_Christine
    Options
    Good Luck. It's not easy, but it can be done. Some suggestions for you: stir-fry, pad-thai noodles, ceasar salad - with & without grilled chicken, eggplant parmigiana (eggplant for you, meat cutlets for him); quesadillas; crepes with assorted savoury stuffings (eg mushroom & onion for you, add some shredded meat for his); stuffed mushroom caps; twice-baked potatoes with assorted toppings; samosas.